    Is it possible to train on this on a home pc with no
    server? I have the ebooks and trial software but I doubt I
    meet the hardware requirements.
    Andy, Aug 18, 2004

  2. Andy

    Will S Guest

    Sure, anything is possible, but you'll likely get no real value out of
    it. One PC is not enough to do much more than install and do basic
    configuration...assuming that it meets the requirements for the
    install. You're only cheating yourself in the long run if you want to
    really do this right if you don't have the right hardware/software.

    Best,
    Will

    Will S, Aug 18, 2004

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    But if it's the route to gaining the qualification there
    surely is a result in the long run. Do you think I'd be
    able to pass the exams on that basis?

    somerset.gov.uk>

    Andy, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I've got an Athlon 1800 processor, 256mb sdram. When I go
    to install the server 2003 setup disk that you burn the
    key onto - it won't offer me the install option or the
    automatic compatibility test. Did you go down the same
    route?

    on a P3 500 with 128
    >RAM and haven't had any trouble. What hardware do you

    have available?

    Andy, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Andy

    Steve Guest

    It is very difficult to pass any exam on reading books
    alone. You need a computer and play with the software so
    you understand it all. I have a Dell Optiplex pentium
    1.7ghz which runs windows 2003 server just fine. It
    originally came with win2000 pro. If you cant get it to
    load on your computer, try a remanufacted Dell Optiplex
    with win2k or winxp pro on it and fdisk and load your
    server software. It should work fine and cost around $500
    for the reman computer

    Steve, Aug 18, 2004
  6. Andy

    Kraphty Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > I've got an Athlon 1800 processor, 256mb sdram. When I go
    > to install the server 2003 setup disk that you burn the
    > key onto - it won't offer me the install option or the
    > automatic compatibility test. Did you go down the same
    > route?

    What are you talking about? I have installed server 2003 in its various
    forms and never had to burn a key onto any setup disk. Do you mean that you
    are trying to install from a COPY of the software?
    Kraphty, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Andy

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "Kraphty" <> wrote in

    > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got an Athlon 1800 processor, 256mb sdram. When I go
    >> to install the server 2003 setup disk that you burn the
    >> key onto - it won't offer me the install option or the
    >> automatic compatibility test. Did you go down the same
    >> route?

    > What are you talking about? I have installed server 2003 in its
    > various forms and never had to burn a key onto any setup disk. Do you
    > mean that you are trying to install from a COPY of the software?

    i always have problems fitting the key and the blank CD in the same burner.

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Aug 18, 2004
  8. " i always have problems fitting the key and the blank CD in the same
    burner."

    WTF????

    A Real Consultant, Aug 19, 2004
  9. Andy

    modgeek Guest

    Yeah try installing Virtual Pc and install win server 2003
    on it.
    modgeek, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Andy

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Aug 19, 2004 "modgeek" blathered:

    If he doesn't have the hardware requirements to run Windows Server 2003 in
    the first place, I doubt he'd be able to run in in Virtual PC on top of his
    existing OS.

    --
    Tech "More RAM Geek" Pro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Andy

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Aug 18, 2004 "A Real Consultant" blathered:

    > " i always have problems fitting the key and the blank CD in the same
    > burner."
    >
    > WTF????

    More like "A Real Idiot" if you didn't get that one.

    --
    Tech "A Real Geek" Pro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Aug 19, 2004
  12. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I downloaded the 180 day trial for windows server 2003
    enterprise edition. When it's downloaded it asks you to
    burn the 'key' onto a cd and run setup from that. Some of
    the options are dimmed - namely the install one. Is there
    another route?

    Andy, Aug 19, 2004
  13. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I certainly appreciate I need to use the software - I'm
    just trying to find out if I can run server 2003 on a
    standalone pc. The hardware requirements specify a server?

    Andy, Aug 19, 2004
  14. Andy

    nerd32768 Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > I certainly appreciate I need to use the software - I'm
    > just trying to find out if I can run server 2003 on a
    > standalone pc. The hardware requirements specify a server?

    if you cant answer that question, you need to take EVERY class listed on the
    test webpages. or better yet, get A+ first, and learn how stupid you are
    being right now. if you get a job, and think a "server" is a completely
    different than a "standalone pc", there is no way you will keep your job.

    P.S.i can run 2000 server on a Pentium 2 300mhz, with 96megs of ram, a 4 gig
    hard drive, crappy video, and it didn't even come with a CD drive. the old
    PIECE of junk runs 2k server fine. My dad runs 2003 server on a dual pentium
    III 866x2, 1 gb of rambus, and dual SCSI hard drives. it runs fine on that
    nerd32768, Aug 19, 2004
  15. Andy

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "Andy" <>
    spewed in news:8e1b01c485c7$773e6360$:

    > I certainly appreciate I need to use the software - I'm
    > just trying to find out if I can run server 2003 on a
    > standalone pc. The hardware requirements specify a server?

    ok, so there is this thing that Microsoft has called an HCL. That's a
    hardware compatability list....

    (yes it will run on standalone PCs or did you think that for every MS class
    taught training center popped out and bought another HP DL580 server)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 19, 2004
  16. Andy

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "Andy" <>
    spewed in news:90df01c485c3$70ae6210$:

    > Is there
    > another route?

    I get my kicks on route 66

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 19, 2004
  17. Andy

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "nerd32768" <nerd{nospam}> spewed
    in news::

    > learn how stupid you are
    > being right now

    ok, when the 13 year old calls you stupid...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 19, 2004
  18. Andy

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Neil <> wrote in

    > babbling on and on again "Andy" <>
    > spewed in news:8e1b01c485c7$773e6360$:
    >
    >> I certainly appreciate I need to use the software - I'm
    >> just trying to find out if I can run server 2003 on a
    >> standalone pc. The hardware requirements specify a server?

    > ok, so there is this thing that Microsoft has called an HCL. That's a
    > hardware compatability list....
    >
    > (yes it will run on standalone PCs or did you think that for every MS
    > class taught training center popped out and bought another HP DL580
    > server)

    wasn't buddy going to get a dell celery?

    Rowdy Yates, Aug 19, 2004
  19. Andy

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again Rowdy Yates <>
    spewed in news:Xns954A58E9B464Browdyyates2123@207.46.248.16:

    > wasn't buddy going to get a dell celery?

    right, nuff said....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 19, 2004
  20. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Does anyone want to give me a job managing their systems?

    <>

    Andy, Aug 19, 2004