    when I get that response back.

    Thanks,

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 28, 2007

  2. Mostly Gizzards

    catwalker63 Guest

    Mostly Gizzards <> prattled ceaselessly in

    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have been putting off finishing up my MCSE:Security for far too
    > long.
    > I have passed the 70-298 exam, but I lack the "other" tests required
    > under the "Security Group: Core Security" area. My original plan was
    > to take the 70-299 and complete my Security+, but when I was poking
    > around in the certification planner I saw that the CISSP is listed as
    > a potential candidate for an elective. I immediately fired off an
    > email to MCPHelp but in the mean time, does anyone have any
    > feedback/experience regarding this? The "official" Microsoft
    > learning page lists only Security+ as a valid elective.
    >
    > My thoughts were that either the CISSP and the Security+ would
    > possibly count, allowing me to skip the 70-299 altogether, or at least
    > use the CISSP so that I don't have to take the Security+ and then take
    > the 70-299 to complete the specialization. I'll also post what
    > MCPHelp says
    > when I get that response back.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > MG

    The CISSP should fill the requirement but are you prepared for what it
    will take? For one thing, you have to be sponsored by an existing CISSP
    to even take the exam. They are also incredibly expensive.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Nov 29, 2007

  3. catwalker63 wrote:
    > Mostly Gizzards <> prattled ceaselessly in
    >
    >> Greetings all,
    >>
    >> I have been putting off finishing up my MCSE:Security for far too
    >> long.
    >> I have passed the 70-298 exam, but I lack the "other" tests required
    >> under the "Security Group: Core Security" area. My original plan was
    >> to take the 70-299 and complete my Security+, but when I was poking
    >> around in the certification planner I saw that the CISSP is listed as
    >> a potential candidate for an elective. I immediately fired off an
    >> email to MCPHelp but in the mean time, does anyone have any
    >> feedback/experience regarding this? The "official" Microsoft
    >> learning page lists only Security+ as a valid elective.
    >>
    >> My thoughts were that either the CISSP and the Security+ would
    >> possibly count, allowing me to skip the 70-299 altogether, or at least
    >> use the CISSP so that I don't have to take the Security+ and then take
    >> the 70-299 to complete the specialization. I'll also post what
    >> MCPHelp says
    >> when I get that response back.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> MG
    >>

    > The CISSP should fill the requirement but are you prepared for what it
    > will take? For one thing, you have to be sponsored by an existing CISSP
    > to even take the exam. They are also incredibly expensive.

    I'm already a CISSP. And yeah, it was painful. <cringe>

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 29, 2007
  4. Mostly Gizzards

    Grog in Ohio Guest

    "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message

    > I'm already a CISSP. And yeah, it was painful. <cringe>

    Amen to that...

    Grog... also CISSP...
    Grog in Ohio, Nov 29, 2007
  5. catwalker63 wrote:
    > Mostly Gizzards <> prattled ceaselessly in
    >
    >Snipped
    >
    > The CISSP should fill the requirement

    Still waiting on a response from Microsoft, I hope you're right.

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 29, 2007
  6. Here lies the answer I received. I don't think I should take this as
    the final answer, and perhaps I can dig deeper. Any suggestions? Do
    you think our little Trika can assist?

    Hello James,

    Thank you for your e-mail regarding CISSP Certification.

    It would be our pleasure to assist you with this matter.

    At this time are not accepting any third-party certifications, at the
    same time we will continue to review potential qualifiers. Please watch
    our website for more information on third-party certifications by
    visiting http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/

    To stay up to date with the latest training and certification news, you
    may wish to subscribe to the MCP NewsFlash. This newsletter delivers
    monthly updates on MCP program announcements, certification benefits,
    special promotions, exam information and more. Subscribing to the MCP
    NewsFlash is the easiest way to stay current on Microsoft certification
    news. For subscription information please visit
    http://microsoft.com/traincert/newsletters/

    If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank
    you for contacting Microsoft.

    Kanika

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 29, 2007
  7. Mostly Gizzards

    > Here lies the answer I received. I don't think I should take this as
    > the final answer, and perhaps I can dig deeper. Any suggestions? Do
    > you think our little Trika can assist?
    >
    > Hello James,
    >
    > Thank you for your e-mail regarding CISSP Certification.
    >
    > It would be our pleasure to assist you with this matter.
    >
    > At this time are not accepting any third-party certifications, at the
    > same time we will continue to review potential qualifiers. Please watch
    > our website for more information on third-party certifications by
    > visiting http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/
    >
    > To stay up to date with the latest training and certification news, you
    > may wish to subscribe to the MCP NewsFlash. This newsletter delivers
    > monthly updates on MCP program announcements, certification benefits,
    > special promotions, exam information and more. Subscribing to the MCP
    > NewsFlash is the easiest way to stay current on Microsoft certification
    > news. For subscription information please visit
    > http://microsoft.com/traincert/newsletters/
    >
    > If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank
    > you for contacting Microsoft.
    >

    > Kanika
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning

    I'm sorry to hear that. Personally, I think, if you have the CISSP, who
    the fsck cares if you're MS certified.

    catwalker63, Nov 29, 2007
  8. Mostly Gizzards

    John R Guest

    > Here lies the answer I received. I don't think I should take this as the
    > final answer, and perhaps I can dig deeper. Any suggestions? Do you
    > think our little Trika can assist?
    >
    > Hello James,
    >
    > Thank you for your e-mail regarding CISSP Certification.
    >
    > It would be our pleasure to assist you with this matter.
    >
    > At this time are not accepting any third-party certifications, at the same
    > time we will continue to review potential qualifiers. Please watch our
    > website for more information on third-party certifications by visiting
    > http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/
    >
    > To stay up to date with the latest training and certification news, you
    > may wish to subscribe to the MCP NewsFlash. This newsletter delivers
    > monthly updates on MCP program announcements, certification benefits,
    > special promotions, exam information and more. Subscribing to the MCP
    > NewsFlash is the easiest way to stay current on Microsoft certification
    > news. For subscription information please visit
    > http://microsoft.com/traincert/newsletters/
    >
    > If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you
    > for contacting Microsoft.
    >

    > Kanika
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning

    I don't care what Kanika says, the cert planner is what is used. The cert
    planner clearly shows CISSP (ISC2) as a valid elective. There are plenty of
    examples of items on the cert planner that are not spelled out on the
    learning pages. You have already passed 298, so you need two items in the
    Security Group-Core section, one of which is CISSP (ISC2). Does the cert
    planner show a check mark next to CISSP for you?

    I would approach it that way, not asking IF it is accepted, but WHY is it
    not checked for you. Tell MS that according to the cert planner, it shows
    CISSP as an option, which you hold but it is not selected. Find out what
    you need to do to get it selected. You may have to go through your CISSP
    and ask them to associate it with your MCPID on Microsoft, I am not sure of
    the procedure.

    Once you get it checked on the cert planner, then determine what other
    elective you want to complete, either 299 or Security+ or one of the other
    ISA options.

    John R
    John R, Nov 30, 2007
  9. John R wrote:

    > I would approach it that way, not asking IF it is accepted, but WHY is it
    > not checked for you. Tell MS that according to the cert planner, it shows
    > CISSP as an option, which you hold but it is not selected. Find out what
    > you need to do to get it selected. You may have to go through your CISSP
    > and ask them to associate it with your MCPID on Microsoft, I am not sure of
    > the procedure.

    > John R

    Thanks for the kick in the pants, John. I'll call them today and see
    what I can get stirred up.

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 30, 2007

  10. >
    > I'm sorry to hear that. Personally, I think, if you have the CISSP, who
    > the fsck cares if you're MS certified.

    Thanks, Cat. It's strictly a personal goal, but it has been nagging me
    for a while. Like 2 years...

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 30, 2007
  11. John R wrote:
    > "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message
    >> Here lies the answer I received. I don't think I should take this as the
    >> final answer, and perhaps I can dig deeper. Any suggestions? Do you
    >> think our little Trika can assist?
    >>
    >> Hello James,
    >>
    >> Thank you for your e-mail regarding CISSP Certification.
    >>
    >> It would be our pleasure to assist you with this matter.
    >>
    >> At this time are not accepting any third-party certifications, at the same
    >> time we will continue to review potential qualifiers. Please watch our
    >> website for more information on third-party certifications by visiting
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/
    >>
    >> To stay up to date with the latest training and certification news, you
    >> may wish to subscribe to the MCP NewsFlash. This newsletter delivers
    >> monthly updates on MCP program announcements, certification benefits,
    >> special promotions, exam information and more. Subscribing to the MCP
    >> NewsFlash is the easiest way to stay current on Microsoft certification
    >> news. For subscription information please visit
    >> http://microsoft.com/traincert/newsletters/
    >>
    >> If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you
    >> for contacting Microsoft.
    >>

    >> Kanika
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/learning

    > I don't care what Kanika says, the cert planner is what is used. The cert
    > planner clearly shows CISSP (ISC2) as a valid elective. There are plenty of
    > examples of items on the cert planner that are not spelled out on the
    > learning pages. You have already passed 298, so you need two items in the
    > Security Group-Core section, one of which is CISSP (ISC2). Does the cert
    > planner show a check mark next to CISSP for you?
    >
    > I would approach it that way, not asking IF it is accepted, but WHY is it
    > not checked for you. Tell MS that according to the cert planner, it shows
    > CISSP as an option, which you hold but it is not selected. Find out what
    > you need to do to get it selected. You may have to go through your CISSP
    > and ask them to associate it with your MCPID on Microsoft, I am not sure of
    > the procedure.
    >
    > Once you get it checked on the cert planner, then determine what other
    > elective you want to complete, either 299 or Security+ or one of the other
    > ISA options.
    >
    > John R

    Well, I spoke to 2 more people on the phone, and they told me that
    Microsoft has discontinued accepting all 3rd party certifications except
    those from CompTIA. I was also informed that requests have been sent to
    the technical team to remove the CISSP, CISA, etc from the certification
    planner. I am vexed.

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 30, 2007
  12. Mostly Gizzards

    John R Guest

    > Well, I spoke to 2 more people on the phone, and they told me that
    > Microsoft has discontinued accepting all 3rd party certifications except
    > those from CompTIA. I was also informed that requests have been sent to
    > the technical team to remove the CISSP, CISA, etc from the certification
    > planner. I am vexed.
    >
    > MG

    Arrrgh! Well, that's that I suppose. I hadn't heard that announcement.
    Sorry you had to be the one to flush it out. I had heard that they were not
    accepting any NEW 3rd party's, but not that they stopped accepting one's
    they already had.

    I wonder if people who earned MCSE-Security using CISSP will now have their
    certs removed?

    John R
    John R, Nov 30, 2007
  13. John R wrote:
    > "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message
    > >
    >> Well, I spoke to 2 more people on the phone, and they told me that
    >> Microsoft has discontinued accepting all 3rd party certifications except
    >> those from CompTIA. I was also informed that requests have been sent to
    >> the technical team to remove the CISSP, CISA, etc from the certification
    >> planner. I am vexed.
    >>
    >> MG

    > Arrrgh! Well, that's that I suppose. I hadn't heard that announcement.
    > Sorry you had to be the one to flush it out. I had heard that they were not
    > accepting any NEW 3rd party's, but not that they stopped accepting one's
    > they already had.
    >
    > I wonder if people who earned MCSE-Security using CISSP will now have their
    > certs removed?
    >
    > John R

    I can't see them removing anyone's cert, but that would really bite.

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 30, 2007
  14. Grog in Ohio wrote:
    > "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm already a CISSP. And yeah, it was painful. <cringe>
    >>

    > Amen to that...
    >
    > Grog... also CISSP...

    Grog - can you contact me? I have an update.

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Dec 14, 2007
  15. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message
    > >
    >> Well, I spoke to 2 more people on the phone, and they told me that
    >> Microsoft has discontinued accepting all 3rd party certifications except
    >> those from CompTIA. I was also informed that requests have been sent to
    >> the technical team to remove the CISSP, CISA, etc from the certification
    >> planner. I am vexed.
    >>
    >> MG

    > Arrrgh! Well, that's that I suppose. I hadn't heard that announcement.
    > Sorry you had to be the one to flush it out. I had heard that they were
    > not accepting any NEW 3rd party's, but not that they stopped accepting
    > one's they already had.

    It would seem to me there may be a "loophole" here that may be exploitable.

    Wouldn't the real determining factor be the chronological sequence of these
    events:
    [a] Completion of the MCSE.
    [a] Completion of the CISSP.
    The completion date of the 70-298.
    [c] The date on which Microsoft terminated acceptance of the CISSP.

    If the requirements of the certification were de facto completed before
    Microsoft *announced* the changes, even though the candidate wasn't aware
    they had been met (by virtue of the CISSP), then all that really exists here
    is an =Administrative= error (the failure to record the CISSP), and the
    certification may actually be valid as of the completion date of the 70-298
    (or the CISSP, whichever occurred later).

    > I wonder if people who earned MCSE-Security using CISSP will now have
    > their certs removed?

    I would hope not, any more than people who are still earning their MCSE(NT)
    are doing so because they're able to complete electives that still qualify
    for the MCSE(NT) cert, even though the NT core exams have been retired for
    almost eight years.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP
    MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2007)

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin, Dec 23, 2007
  16. Lawrence Garvin wrote:
    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >>> Well, I spoke to 2 more people on the phone, and they told me that
    >>> Microsoft has discontinued accepting all 3rd party certifications
    >>> except those from CompTIA. I was also informed that requests have
    >>> been sent to the technical team to remove the CISSP, CISA, etc from
    >>> the certification planner. I am vexed.
    >>>
    >>> MG

    >> Arrrgh! Well, that's that I suppose. I hadn't heard that
    >> announcement. Sorry you had to be the one to flush it out. I had
    >> heard that they were not accepting any NEW 3rd party's, but not that
    >> they stopped accepting one's they already had.
    >>

    > It would seem to me there may be a "loophole" here that may be exploitable.
    >
    > Wouldn't the real determining factor be the chronological sequence of
    > these events:
    > [a] Completion of the MCSE.
    > [a] Completion of the CISSP.
    > The completion date of the 70-298.
    > [c] The date on which Microsoft terminated acceptance of the CISSP.
    >
    > If the requirements of the certification were de facto completed before
    > Microsoft *announced* the changes, even though the candidate wasn't
    > aware they had been met (by virtue of the CISSP), then all that really
    > exists here is an =Administrative= error (the failure to record the
    > CISSP), and the certification may actually be valid as of the completion
    > date of the 70-298 (or the CISSP, whichever occurred later).
    >

    >> I wonder if people who earned MCSE-Security using CISSP will now have
    >> their certs removed?

    > I would hope not, any more than people who are still earning their
    > MCSE(NT) are doing so because they're able to complete electives that
    > still qualify for the MCSE(NT) cert, even though the NT core exams have
    > been retired for almost eight years.

    I don't know if I'm allowed to share what MS Learning told me, but I
    will say that I received positive feedback for the near future.

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Dec 29, 2007
  17. "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message

    >> If the requirements of the certification were de facto completed before
    >> Microsoft *announced* the changes, even though the candidate wasn't aware
    >> they had been met (by virtue of the CISSP), then all that really exists
    >> here is an =Administrative= error (the failure to record the CISSP), and
    >> the certification may actually be valid as of the completion date of the
    >> 70-298 (or the CISSP, whichever occurred later).

    >>> I wonder if people who earned MCSE-Security using CISSP will now have
    >>> their certs removed?

    >> I would hope not, any more than people who are still earning their
    >> MCSE(NT) are doing so because they're able to complete electives that
    >> still qualify for the MCSE(NT) cert, even though the NT core exams have
    >> been retired for almost eight years.

    > I don't know if I'm allowed to share what MS Learning told me, but I will
    > say that I received positive feedback for the near future.

    No need to share; the mere fact that you've received positive feedback is
    good news.

    Good luck with the pursuit!

    Lawrence Garvin, Dec 29, 2007