    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Rowdy Yates

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it Rowdy Yates <rowdy_yates_mcngp.remove.yahoo.again.com>
    said in news:Xns959F477F7D0C3rowdyyates2124@207.46.248.16:

    > http://www.mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/2004/charts/chart1.asp

    BWAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

    those things are sooooooooooooo funny...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Rowdy Yates

    molsonexpert Guest

    "Rowdy Yates" <rowdy_yates_mcngp.remove.yahoo.again.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/2004/charts/chart1.asp
    >
    > those are average *BASE* salaries. meaning you only go up from there. and
    > it's all true - every last bit of it!!!!!
    >
    > make sure you let your bank know ahead of time that there will be a truck
    > load of money coming into your bank account - they shouldn't be alarmed -
    > tell them you are an MCSE & show your lapel pin. they will understand.
    >
    > --
    > Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    > http://www.mcngp.com/
    > "Shhhh... Do you smell that? I think is't Albanian Goat Smegma!"
    > http://www.geocities.com/rowdy_yates_mcngp/
    > http://www.geocities.com/rowdy_yates_mcngp/google.gif

    So can I gather from this that from a pure salary standpoint, it would in my
    best interest not to pursue any kind of certification?

    steve.
    molsonexpert, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Rowdy Yates

    nerd32768 Guest

    > those are average *BASE* salaries. meaning you only go up from there. and
    > it's all true - every last bit of it!!!!!
    >
    > make sure you let your bank know ahead of time that there will be a truck
    > load of money coming into your bank account - they shouldn't be alarmed -
    > tell them you are an MCSE & show your lapel pin. they will understand.

    a quarter of that money looks good to me right now, i only make about 1,000
    a year. :(

    Nerd32768
    A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA, waiting for server+ beta results
    completed 7th grade
    nerd32768, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Rowdy Yates

    Doom Guest

    "Rowdy Yates" <rowdy_yates_mcngp.remove.yahoo.again.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/2004/charts/chart1.asp
    >
    > those are average *BASE* salaries. meaning you only go up from there. and
    > it's all true - every last bit of it!!!!!

    I thought I was kinda underpaid. I can't wait to show this to my boss. I'm
    in for a nice raise. Drinks are on me.
    Doom, Nov 12, 2004
  6. Rowdy Yates

    T-Bone Guest

    "Rowdy Yates" <rowdy_yates_mcngp.remove.yahoo.again.com> wrote
    > http://www.mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/2004/charts/chart1.asp
    >
    > those are average *BASE* salaries. meaning you only go up from there. and
    > it's all true - every last bit of it!!!!!

    Hmm... www.salary.com says the range for a network administrator Los Angeles
    is $55k to $74k (25th percentile to 75th percentile). Is that any more
    reasonable?

    For the purposes of this report, the job description for network
    administrator is as follows:

    Installs, configures and maintains organization's network. Builds networks
    and maintains external and internal web presence, administers the networks.
    Performs system backups on its internal and external web network servers.
    Designs and supports server system(s) and supporting software. May require a
    bachelor's degree in a related area and 0-2 years of experience in the field
    or in a related area. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices,
    and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and
    pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under
    immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require
    exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a project leader or
    manager.

    Now that I look at site a little further, I'm about $10k under the average
    for my job in my area! Gotta talk to the PHB about that!

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    Take this job and shove it.
    T-Bone, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Rowdy Yates

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Rowdy Yates climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:

    > http://www.mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/2004/charts/chart1.asp

    According to that survey, if you have *no* MS certs, you should be making
    $74,300, then when you get your first MCP, your salary drops to $54.600!

    Pretty fscking funny, though. What planet were these surveys done on?

    JaR
    Interplanetary Thug
    JaR, Nov 12, 2004
  8. Rowdy Yates

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    In news:Xns959F569934E6Fplentespamsuxsofthom@207.46.248.16,
    JaR <> rambled:

    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Rowdy Yates climbed on a soapbox &
    > opined:
    >
    >> http://www.mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/2004/charts/chart1.asp
    >>

    > According to that survey, if you have *no* MS certs, you should be
    > making $74,300, then when you get your first MCP, your salary drops
    > to $54.600!

    Yeah, that seems about right.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com
    Ken Briscoe, Nov 12, 2004
  9. JaR wrote:
    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Rowdy Yates climbed on a soapbox &
    > opined:
    >
    >> http://www.mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/2004/charts/chart1.asp
    >>

    > According to that survey, if you have *no* MS certs, you should be
    > making $74,300, then when you get your first MCP, your salary drops
    > to $54.600!
    >
    > Pretty fscking funny, though. What planet were these surveys done on?

    There are consistently similar results in software developer salary surveys.
    Those who have no college consistently earn more than those who have AA, BS,
    and MS degrees.

    The argument for that is that most of the software developers who have no
    college are ones who got into computers in the late 70's and early 80's and
    have been in it forever, never needing a college degree.

    Sure would make a convincing argument to a high school grad, however, to
    just skip college. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way. Now if
    the high school grad could just suddenly get 20-30 years of experience...

    --
    Fris "Those surveys only serve to depress me" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Nov 12, 2004
  10. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    nerd32768 wrote:

    > a quarter of that money looks good to me right now, i only make about
    > 1,000 a year. :(
    >
    > Nerd32768
    > A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA, waiting for server+ beta results
    > completed 7th grade

    you can make more money than that playing kazoo on a street corner!

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Nov 12, 2004
  11. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    well if you are being serious (are you??)

    SAGE ---> http://www.sage.org/

    are a much better and more realistic salary gauge.

    salary surveys:
    http://www.sage.org/salsurv/

    RY

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Nov 12, 2004
  12. Rowdy Yates

    T-Bone Guest

    "Rowdy Yates" <> wrote
    > well if you are being serious (are you??)
    >
    > SAGE ---> http://www.sage.org/
    >
    > are a much better and more realistic salary gauge.
    >
    > salary surveys:
    > http://www.sage.org/salsurv/

    Note: Membership fee required.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Nov 12, 2004
  13. Rowdy Yates

    kpg Guest

    > salary surveys:
    > http://www.sage.org/salsurv/

    It seems females with 1-6 years exp get paid
    more than their male counterparts, but females
    with 7 years on up are paid less.

    Makes sense to me.

    kp "nobody likes old and ugly" g
    kpg, Nov 12, 2004
  14. Rowdy Yates

    kpg Guest

    > Note: Membership fee required.

    not for the 2003 stats.
    kpg, Nov 12, 2004
  15. Rowdy Yates

    kpg Guest

    kpg, Nov 12, 2004
  16. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    kpg wrote:

    >> salary surveys:
    >> http://www.sage.org/salsurv/
    >>

    > It seems females with 1-6 years exp get paid
    > more than their male counterparts, but females
    > with 7 years on up are paid less.
    >
    > Makes sense to me.
    >
    > kp "nobody likes old and ugly" g

    with full membership - you get the extra detailed survey where they break it
    down further by bra size and workplace address.

    well worth the $40 per year. ;-!

    RY

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Nov 12, 2004
  17. Rowdy Yates

    billyw Guest

    20-30 years experience..
    no problem..
    you guys have obviously never heard of joe 90

    billyw, Nov 12, 2004
  18. Rowdy Yates

    skully Guest

    It is intriging how many times salaries come up on discussion forums
    and how often people expect qualifications to be mirrored by salary.
    This is only part of the equation, experiance really does count more.
    Also if you can broaden your qualification IE not just Microsoft you
    will earn far more.

    To give you an example I am qualified in Cisco, NetScreen plus many
    more on top of Microsoft. I have 20 years experiance in the IT
    industry and work in a provincial town in the UK (IE not London where
    salries are far higher)

    My basic is £64,000 which for you folks over the pond is around
    90-100,000 $

    So yes get those qualifications but broaden your skill set too
    skully, Nov 13, 2004
  19. I hate to break some bad news, but many corporations still either have
    experienced System Administrators that are part of the recommedation section
    of the hiring process, or there are still too many wanna-bees that get
    certified over-night, but can't spell MCSE, or even touched anything yet. Not
    you, but what these wanna-bees have to understand is that reading is just
    part of it. You can get all the cram certs you want, but if you B.S. a
    company these days, they could throw someone out on there arse, if you know
    what I mean. Show them what you can do and you will get yours...that is what
    I did. I am still not certified today because I think it is just a paper to
    show...nothing more. Does not indicate what you can do. Without any cert, I
    am at $72k/yr....I do mostly AD work these days.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVk?=, Nov 15, 2004
  20. Rowdy Yates

    billyw Guest

    have you ever had an excellent adventure?

    billyw, Nov 15, 2004