MCSE rookie need help

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Marko, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Marko

    Marko Guest

    books etc. and
    >also a copy of Window 2000 advance server. I did a clean

    installed on my
    >pc but however i ran into this problem. I am on the

    first step doing
    >Active Directory

    There are many reasons why this can occur, one of which
    was suggested in another post. For example, it doesn't
    work if the network card is not plugged into a switch /
    hub and you are trying to work with "cable unplugged".

    First: you don't need to know how or why the
    following "tools" work, just use them as stated. You will

    Basically, if you go START / RUN and enter "cmd" for the
    command prompt, type "ipconfig" and have a look at the
    result. You will see the IP of your network card. Let's
    assume your network card is functioning and static IP is

    Now, type "tracert" and have a look at the
    result. What you want is for it to instantly come back
    with something like

    1 <10ms <10ms <10ms []

    Keep the above in mind, because that is the goal. My
    guess is that it doesn't, and it needs to for AD
    installation to work.

    Check that you have (or whatever your server
    IP is) as a DNS server to search for on your network card
    under TCP/IP properties.

    DNS needs to be installed and running as a service. (To
    potential flamers: Yes I know about Right Click my
    computer and Manage to get to DNS, BUT...) Use START /
    Settings / Control Panel / Administrative tools / DNS.

    You should have the server name listed there. When you
    expand the server, there should be forward and reverse
    lookup zones. In the forward zone, you should have If you look at the properties of this zone, it
    should be a primary zone or active directory integrated
    and you should have Only secure updates; the primary
    server as (this assumes server is the name
    of the server?); and the name server should be

    In the right window, there should be a Host record
    for "server", with the IP number My guess is
    that there isn't, that most of what I have said so far is

    In the Reverse lookup, you should have a zone for your IP
    subnet, like 192.168.0.x Subnet. This is where the
    pointer records sit, like Pointer

    This allows you to type "tracert" and it will
    reverse lookup the IP and resolve If
    you "tracert" it will resolve the IP and
    run the IP trace back to your network card in lightning
    quick time. When you can do these things, DNS is
    functioning and your AD installation will work.
    Marko, Sep 16, 2003