    smain Guest

    Which track is better in real world, MCSE or MCSA ?

    Thanks
    smain, Aug 8, 2003

  2. "smain" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Which track is better in real world, MCSE or MCSA ?
    >
    > Thanks

    They both take up the exact same amount of space in a drawer.

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Aug 8, 2003

  3. smain

    PHONG MCSA Guest

    you should to learn MOC 210, 215, 216, 218 track for MCSA.
    if you have any question contact me

    PHONG MCSA, Aug 9, 2003
  4. smain

    ITPro_DLM Guest

    You have to be an MCSA before you can be an MCSE. That
    should answer your question.

    ITPro_DLM
    MCSE 2000

    ITPro_DLM, Aug 10, 2003
  5. smain

    |{evin Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:26:24 +0100, "Japes"
    <> wrote:

    >I believe your incorrect there.... You can become an MCSE before taking the
    >218 exam to become an MCSA. However if starting on the MCSE track it makes
    >sense to become MCSA before MCSE.

    You're both wrong, You can be an MCSE without MCSA... and you can be
    an MCSA without MCSE. It kinda sucks that they laid the track out like
    they did because they are two separate certifications, MCSA isn't a
    'stepping stone' to MCSE. One is for administration, one is for
    design.
    |{evin, Aug 10, 2003
  6. smain

    Japes Guest

    > You can be an MCSE without MCSA... and you can be an MCSA without MCSE.
    I agree and I think we said the similar things in different ways (>>You can
    become an MCSE before taking the 218 exam to become an MCSA.)

    > MCSA isn't a 'stepping stone' to MCSE.

    We'll have to agree to disagree.

    --
    Regards

    Japes

    Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?
    Japes, Aug 11, 2003
  7. smain

    Jtyc Guest

    > However if starting on the MCSE track it makes
    > sense to become MCSA before MCSE.

    If your ultimate goal is design perhaps. Not everyone may want to do design
    work.
    Jtyc, Aug 11, 2003
  8. smain

    Japes Guest

    Then you wouldn't be on the MCSE track but the MCSA track......or have I
    missed your point.

    Japes, Aug 11, 2003
  9. smain

    Maestro Guest

    You *DO NOT* have to be an MCSA to become an MCSE. As for
    which track is better depends on what you want to do.
    They serve two different purposes.

    Maestro, Aug 11, 2003
  10. smain

    ITPro_DLM Guest

    Really?? Cool... My bad.

    I took 210, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219 & 220 to achieve
    MCSA/MCSE 2000. I thought that was a good route to go
    and fairly easy.

    ITPro_DLM

    ITPro_DLM, Aug 12, 2003
  11. The two certifications are suppose to represent job roles. In reality they
    express more of a ranking system. It is true that MCSE has more requirement
    than MCSA, but those additional requirements end up covering the same
    material in the MCSA-unique exams (and more, yes). So the only way this can
    parallel job roles is in depth of responsibility. Thing is MCSE is becoming
    more of a basic skill level, whereas MCSA is viewed with a negative
    stigma--perhaps managers figure you only do things to a mediocre level.

    Yes, the MCSE is becoming more of an entry-level certification. Not because
    it's become easier, but that the workplace is becoming more demanding. MCSE
    measures skills I require of 2nd tier help desk or day-to-day
    administrators. As for design engineers I expect them to have most MCSE
    skills in their core skills; however they need about double the amount of
    talent and in different areas. There simply is no certification that
    measures skills needed for these tasks.

    Personally I like Cisco's model in that there are CCNA/CCNP folks as well as
    CCDA/CCDP folks (and some with both). These "job role" certifications show
    proficiency in different tasks. Further Cisco offers a premium
    certification, CCIE, that requires lab demonstration. [I do like how
    Microsoft took a stab at this in the MOUS exams--maybe task oriented tests
    will grow.]

    Bottom line is if you want to impress anyone, get your MCSE. If you want to
    impress experienced folks (like most hiring managers) do more than the
    minimum--Perhaps take *all* of the design exams. If your (potential)
    employer has developers in-house learn the basics and maybe take an exam
    there too. Don't look at MCSE as the ultimate goal, but as your first step.
    If this seems overwhelming, maybe this isn't the right business for you.
    Michele Adams, Aug 12, 2003