    Should I look into the MCSE more, or will I find I still need this exam and
    experience.
    Any help/comments would be great! Thanks, I live in Boca Raton, FL.
    =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=, Sep 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    James Guest

    Re: Is it worth it?

    You will definately need education plus experience. But a lot of places
    don't even consider you unless you have MSCE. It will definately not
    gaurantee you a job, but it will open up some doors for you. Perhaps you
    can see if your current employeer will pay for it? Then you've got nothing
    to lose.

    James, Sep 12, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?="
    <> say in

    > Should I look into the MCSE more, or will I find I still need this
    > exam and experience.

    experience is the chicken/egg thing. MCSE will only get you an interview
    not a job. be willing to spend a few years doing crappy work if this is the
    feild you want. If you are teaching now you might also want to look at
    training after you have gotten a few years experience.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - I used to be inept but, with practice, I became ept.
    Neil, Sep 12, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Neil Guest

    Re: Is it worth it?

    did you hear "James" <> say in

    > You will definately need education plus experience. But a lot of
    > places don't even consider you unless you have MSCE. It will
    > definately not gaurantee you a job, but it will open up some doors for
    > you. Perhaps you can see if your current employeer will pay for it?
    > Then you've got nothing to lose.

    AAAAK! I've agreed with James?!!!!

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - The more crap you put up with, the more crap you are going to get.
    Neil, Sep 12, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Ogre Guest

    michelle wrote:

    > Should I look into the MCSE more, or will I find I still need this exam and
    > experience.
    > Any help/comments would be great! Thanks, I live in Boca Raton, FL.

    An MCSE does not make up for the lack of experience. With out experience
    you might as well look for work here: http://tinyurl.com/9rw9p (SFW)
    Ogre, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Thanks for the quick reply!
    Yeah I am def stuck in chicken/egg cycle...not sure which I am :)

    Anywaysss....any info on how much it costs? I've looked and there seems to
    be a LOT of seminars about 15 days for $10K through private training,

    what if I just want to get the book and do it myself?

    Thx
    =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=, Sep 12, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    Re: Is it worth it?

    "michelle" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all.
    > I am 31 today and I have my masters degree in computer science. I have
    > only
    > this, I am finding it impossible to find a job, since all jobs require 5+
    > years experience for networking, programming, etc.
    > I am currently an adjunct teacher at FAU and the pay is not worth
    > mentioning.
    > I was trying to get my phd, but am finding the qualifying exam Impossible.
    >
    > Should I look into the MCSE more, or will I find I still need this exam
    > and
    > experience.
    > Any help/comments would be great! Thanks, I live in Boca Raton, FL.

    It has to be asked... R U Hawt?

    --
    Fris "Too tired to google lyrics to Michelle, My Belle" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!

    http://www.mcngp.com

    Frisbee®, Sep 12, 2005
  8. I'm not sure I want to know how you have that site handy for posts...must be
    having job trouble yourself maybe....

    =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=, Sep 12, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    "michelle" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the quick reply!

    Hey! I made a quick reply, too, but you didn't answer MY question!

    > Yeah I am def stuck in chicken/egg cycle...not sure which I am :)

    Well if you're a chicken or an egg, forget about sending us GIFS.

    > Anywaysss....any info on how much it costs? I've looked and there seems
    > be a LOT of seminars about 15 days for $10K through private training,

    If you are NOT a chicken or an egg, I'm sure there's lots of regulars here
    who would be glad to spend a week giving you "private training" for a lot
    less than $10K.

    > what if I just want to get the book and do it myself?

    Oh, my... you tease.
    Frisbee®, Sep 12, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    MitchS Guest

    I just priced a package for work, and you can get all the CBT Nuggets, Sybex
    books and Transcender practice tests (for final review after the frist 2
    plus hands on) for about $2200 for all 8 tests required for MCSE +Security.
    IMHO, that combined with a few hundred bucks worth of eqipment, the free MS
    web resources, and a lot of time would be a lot better than a 2 week cram
    session. Good luck in your endeaver.

    P.S. If it were not for work paying for the training I would just get the
    books and harware and work on my own. It has worked fine for me so far
    anyway.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA

    MitchS, Sep 12, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Ogre Guest

    michelle wrote:
    > I'm not sure I want to know how you have that site handy for posts...must be
    > having job trouble yourself maybe....

    Nope.. Things are on cruise control for the moment.

    Thought of the link due to having my parents system serviced last week.
    Ogre, Sep 12, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    "michelle" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure I want to know how you have that site handy for posts...must
    > be
    > having job trouble yourself maybe....

    I don't think so. We get lots of people who post in here asking about how
    to get a certification that is meant for people who already have experience,
    but they don't have any experience. In other words, get some real IT
    experience, then go for the cert. The way it was meant to be. MCSE is not
    a training course, it's meant to verify the experience of people who are
    already in IT. It is NOT a springboard into IT and it was never meant to
    be.

    Now... will you tell us if U R hawt? Please?
    Frisbee®, Sep 12, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    MitchS Guest

    Re: Is it worth it?

    > Fris "Too tired to google lyrics to Michelle, My Belle" bee®, MCNGP #13

    Allow me.

    Michelle, ma belle.
    These are words that go together well,
    My Michelle.

    Michelle, ma belle.
    Sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble,
    Tres bien ensemble.

    I love you, I love you, I love you.
    That's all I want to say.
    Until I find a way
    I will say the only words I know that
    You'll understand.

    I need you, I need you, I need you.
    I need to make you see,
    Oh, what you mean to me.
    Until I do I'm hoping you will
    Know what I mean.

    I love you.

    I want you, I want you, I want you.
    I think you know by now
    I'll get to you somehow.
    Until I do I'm telling you so
    You'll understand.

    I will say the only words I know that
    You'll understand, my Michelle.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA
    MitchS, Sep 12, 2005
  14. would LOVE some real IT experience. Would LOVE to know how to get some,
    since every job requires experience.
    You make it sound so easy to get some it experience and that's it. Well
    trust me its not, if you dont' have any experience, your screwed, so I
    thought this certification might be a good idea,
    And judging by your comments, your not interested in helping me. I don't
    think this board is for people like u.

    Thx

    =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=, Sep 12, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    "michelle" <> wrote in message
    > would LOVE some real IT experience. Would LOVE to know how to get some,
    > since every job requires experience.
    > You make it sound so easy to get some it experience and that's it. Well
    > trust me its not, if you dont' have any experience, your screwed, so I
    > thought this certification might be a good idea,
    > And judging by your comments, your not interested in helping me. I don't
    > think this board is for people like u.

    Michelle, chill out.

    As I explained, certifications are MEANT for people who HAVE experience. It
    is NOT a stepping stone for the IT field. Regardless of what you may have
    heard or what you might think, it is possible to get a job in IT without
    certification. It is also possible to DONATE TIME to organizations, usually
    non-profit, like schools and libraries, and GET experience.

    Next, this is not a board. This is USENET. You are accessing via a web
    page, but it's not a board.

    Finally, lighten up. You have a degree, which puts you WAY ahead of most of
    the pack. Get a job using your degree. Do you know who many people would
    like to be in your shoes? It's going to be a LOT easier for you to break
    into IT with your degree. Then after you've been in IT for a while,
    consider getting the certifications. Others do not have that luxury, you
    do.

    Now... R U HAWT OR NAWT?

    furrfu
    Frisbee®, Sep 12, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    James Guest

    ah yes, the memories of working at convergys, doing internet tech
    support....working to midnight all for $10/hr

    "Thank you for calling Comcast, my name is James, can I please get the phone
    number on your account starting with your area code"

    "Oh I'm sorry, if you don't have a legit version of windows xp I can't help
    you- click"

    :)

    James, Sep 12, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    MitchS Guest

    MitchS, Sep 12, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    MitchS Guest

    "Frisbee®" <> wrote in message

    > Finally, lighten up. You have a degree, which puts you WAY ahead of most
    > of the pack. Get a job using your degree. Do you know who many people
    > would like to be in your shoes? It's going to be a LOT easier for you to
    > break into IT with your degree. Then after you've been in IT for a while,
    > consider getting the certifications. Others do not have that luxury, you
    > do.

    I couldn't agree more. It took 4 certs an Associates, bachelors, and half a
    MBA to get the help desk job at the bank I work for. There is no such thing
    as over qualified in this field when it comes to edumacashion.
    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA
    MitchS, Sep 12, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    > Anywaysss....any info on how much it costs? I've looked and there
    > seems to be a LOT of seminars about 15 days for $10K through private
    > training,
    >
    > what if I just want to get the book and do it myself?

    ok, after first getting the good chortle from Frisbee's reply, here is my
    tupence. going to a series of courses vs doing it all self paced depends
    very much on the person adn the current set of skills they posess. If you
    believe you have excellent Windows XP Skills (for example) you may want
    to just crack open the book (check e-bay) and go through the skills
    tested listed at www.microsoft.com\learning. if you think you might need
    more after blowing teh time and money on the book THEN look into the
    course. If work pays for it however, grab it when you can.

    now as for those private lessons, I am an MCT. Send me some pictures,
    we'll negotiate a price ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - It's a small world, so you gotta use your elbows a lot.
    Neil, Sep 12, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?bWljaGVsbGU=?=

    > I'm not sure I want to know how you have that site handy for
    > posts...must be having job trouble yourself maybe....

    hang around here long enough and you will memorize a list for those not
    worthy. I prefer to give out www.bkcareers.com myself...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - REALITY.SYS Corrupted: Re-boot universe? (Y/N/Q)
    Neil, Sep 12, 2005