MCSE in Windows 2003: Security road from here

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Carlos Ignacio Tapia, Feb 12, 2008.

  1. Hi.

    Yesterday I passed 70-292 exam so, as I had passed before 70-210, 70-215,
    70-216 and 70, 218, I'm now MCSA in Windows 2000 and in Windows 2003.

    My objective is the MCSE in Windows 2003 with speciality in Security. So,
    being MCSA in Windows 2003, what now? How much to go? 2, 3 more? Which ones
    could they be? How many “core†and how many “elective�

    The next exam I want to sit for is CompTIA Security+. In my opinion, this
    exam has its own importance, apart from the possibility of being used as
    requisite to MCSE, so passing it would give me at the same time “a piece of
    the MCSE†and a 3rd party recognized certification.

    Speaking about Security+…what exact impact does this exam have in the “pathâ€
    I need to accomplish my objective? Is it consider “elective�

    Honestly, I tried to understand the CertPlanner, but I just don’t get how to
    figure out easily the options I have to achieve my goal.

    Thanks!!!

    Carlos Tapia.
    MCSA W2K - MCSA W2K3
    CCNA
    Carlos Ignacio Tapia, Feb 12, 2008

  2. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    John R Guest

    "Carlos Ignacio Tapia" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    > Hi.
    >
    > Yesterday I passed 70-292 exam so, as I had passed before 70-210, 70-215,
    > 70-216 and 70, 218, I'm now MCSA in Windows 2000 and in Windows 2003.
    >
    > My objective is the MCSE in Windows 2003 with speciality in Security. So,
    > being MCSA in Windows 2003, what now? How much to go? 2, 3 more? Which
    > ones
    > could they be? How many "core" and how many "elective"?
    >
    > The next exam I want to sit for is CompTIA Security+. In my opinion, this
    > exam has its own importance, apart from the possibility of being used as
    > requisite to MCSE, so passing it would give me at the same time "a piece
    > of
    > the MCSE" and a 3rd party recognized certification.
    >
    > Speaking about Security+.what exact impact does this exam have in the
    > "path"
    > I need to accomplish my objective? Is it consider "elective"?
    >
    > Honestly, I tried to understand the CertPlanner, but I just don't get how
    > figure out easily the options I have to achieve my goal.
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > Carlos Tapia.
    > MCSA W2K - MCSA W2K3
    > CCNA

    You can see the total requirements here...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/security/windowsserver2003.mspx

    70-292 gave you credit for 70-290 and 70-291 which are 2 of the 4 networking
    system core exams.
    You'll need the remaining two, 70-293 and 70-294

    You have 70-210 which will suffice for the client OS exam.

    You'll need the core design exam 70-298.

    At this point, you will have MCSE: 2003

    You'll then need two additional core security elements out of the
    following... 70-299, 70-227, 70-350, Comptia Security+

    Good luck to you.

    John R
    John R, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Hi, thanks so much for your reply.

    I was wondering...can I take 70-296 (before 03/31, of course because MS is
    retiring it) and avoid to take individually 70-293 and 70-294?

    Exam 70-296 name states “…for an MCSE Certified on Windows 2000†and I’m
    not. I got my MCSA 2000 and MCSA 2003. I’m not MCSE on 2000.

    If I go to Prometric and register for 70-296…will it allow me? Does
    Prometric have anyway to check if I’m or I’m not an MCSE on 2000 yet when I
    register for 70-296?
    If it does allow me and I pass it…will it be valid?

    Thanks!!!

    Carlos Tapia.

    Carlos Ignacio Tapia, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    John R Guest

    "Carlos Ignacio Tapia" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    > Hi, thanks so much for your reply.
    >
    > I was wondering...can I take 70-296 (before 03/31, of course because MS is
    > retiring it) and avoid to take individually 70-293 and 70-294?
    >
    > Exam 70-296 name states ".for an MCSE Certified on Windows 2000" and I'm
    > not. I got my MCSA 2000 and MCSA 2003. I'm not MCSE on 2000.
    >
    > If I go to Prometric and register for 70-296.will it allow me? Does
    > Prometric have anyway to check if I'm or I'm not an MCSE on 2000 yet when
    > register for 70-296?
    > If it does allow me and I pass it.will it be valid?
    >
    > Thanks!!!

    You cannot use 70-296 to avoid 70-293 and 70-294 unless you hold MCSE 2000
    period. Since you are not MCSE 2000, 70-296 will not apply to you. I do
    not know if Prometric is smart enough to figure that out, but it won't
    matter. 70-296 will not buy you anything even if you pass it, unless hold
    MCSE 2000 on or before March 31, 2008. If you want to get to MCSE 2003, you
    must take 70-293 and 70-294.

    John R
    John R, Feb 13, 2008
  5. Ok, ok, you're right. It was just an idea!! :)

    What do you think of the path I’m planning to follow towards my MCSE 2003 –
    Security?

    01) System Core remaining 1: 70-293 - Planning and Maintaining a Windows
    Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

    02) System Core remaining 2: 70-294 - Planning, Implementing, and
    Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure

    03) Desing remaining: 70-298 - Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows
    Server 2003 Network

    04) Comptia Security+

    With these 4 exams do I get my MCSE 2003 – Security? Or there is still one
    more missing?

    I’m in doubt because in the page with the requirements states “Security
    specialization (three exams required)".

    Thanks a lot!

    Carlos Tapia.

    Carlos Ignacio Tapia, Feb 15, 2008
  6. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    John R Guest

    "Carlos Ignacio Tapia" <> wrote
    in message news:D...
    > Ok, ok, you're right. It was just an idea!! :)
    >
    > What do you think of the path I'm planning to follow towards my MCSE
    > 2003 -
    > Security?
    >
    > 01) System Core remaining 1: 70-293 - Planning and Maintaining a Windows
    > Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    >
    > 02) System Core remaining 2: 70-294 - Planning, Implementing, and
    > Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
    >
    > 03) Desing remaining: 70-298 - Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows
    > Server 2003 Network
    >
    > 04) Comptia Security+
    >

    > With these 4 exams do I get my MCSE 2003 - Security? Or there is still one
    > more missing?
    >
    > I'm in doubt because in the page with the requirements states "Security
    > specialization (three exams required)".
    >
    > Thanks a lot!
    >
    > Carlos Tapia.

    After completing your first three steps, you will have MCSE 2003. To
    continue on with the security specialization, you will need two additional
    elements (with your 70-298, that makes three). Comptia Security+ is one of
    those elements. You will also need one additional security element. You
    can choose from 70-299, 70-227, or 70-350. (Note, 70-227 retires 03/31/08
    so if you want to use that, you need to complete that test before 03/31/08).
    You can see the full requirements here...

    John R, Feb 15, 2008
  7. Download Certificate

    I am MCSA & MCSE on Windows Server 2003. I want to download my Certificate
    from the MCP Secure Site. But it says I must have at least 1 Specialization
    in order to do that. I will like to do that by writing the least number of
    exams. Can anyone tell me what to do to become MCITP or MCP with 1 specialty?
    Bobbie.com - Accra, May 5, 2008
  8. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    >Can anyone tell me what to do to become MCITP or MCP with 1 specialty?

    have you tried praying to our lord and Savior jesus christ who died
    for all our sins?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    Kline Sphere, May 5, 2008
  9. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    JaR Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    On 5/5/2008,Kline Sphere had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > > Can anyone tell me what to do to become MCITP or MCP with 1
    > > specialty?

    > have you tried praying to our lord and Savior jesus christ who died
    > for all our sins?
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    THANK YOU JESUS!

    --
    JaR
    Can I get an AMEN here?
    JaR, May 5, 2008
  10. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    >> > Can anyone tell me what to do to become MCITP or MCP with 1
    >> > specialty?

    >> have you tried praying to our lord and Savior jesus christ who died
    >> for all our sins?
    >>
    >> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    >THANK YOU JESUS!

    Jesus is real.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    Kline Sphere, May 14, 2008
  11. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    JaR Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    On 5/14/2008,Kline Sphere had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > >> have you tried praying to our lord and Savior jesus christ who died
    > >> for all our sins?
    > >>
    > >> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    > > THANK YOU JESUS!

    > Jesus is real.
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    As is FSM, may you be touched by His Noodly Appendage

    --
    JaR
    Play it safe, believe in 'em all
    JaR, May 14, 2008
  12. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    CBIC Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    "Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message

    >>> have you tried praying to our lord and Savior jesus christ who died
    >>> for all our sins?
    >>>
    >>> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    >>THANK YOU JESUS!

    > Jesus is real.

    You know damn right
    CBIC, May 14, 2008
  13. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    > As is FSM, may you be touched by His Noodly Appendage

    ha!

    Jesus could eat FSM for breakfast...
    Jtyc, May 14, 2008
  14. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Bill Hileman Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    >> As is FSM, may you be touched by His Noodly Appendage

    > ha!
    >
    > Jesus could eat FSM for breakfast...

    So I take it then that Jesus was not diabetic?
    Bill Hileman, May 14, 2008
  15. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    JaR Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    On 5/14/2008,Jtyc had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > > As is FSM, may you be touched by His Noodly Appendage

    > ha!
    >

    > Jesus could eat FSM for breakfast...

    FSM ladles Holy Marinara on you in forgiveness for your hubris, and
    encourages you to lick His Meaty Balls.

    --
    JaR
    With extra Cheese
    JaR, May 15, 2008
  16. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    > So I take it then that Jesus was not diabetic?

    I'm not sure, I never asked him...
    Jtyc, May 15, 2008
  17. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    > FSM ladles Holy Marinara on you in forgiveness for your hubris, and
    > encourages you to lick His Meaty Balls.

    You know, it all depends on the sauce.
    Jtyc, May 15, 2008
  18. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    JaR Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    On 5/14/2008,CBIC had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > "Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
    > news:... >>>> Can anyone
    > tell me what to do to become MCITP or MCP with 1 >>>> specialty?

    > > > THANK YOU JESUS!

    > > Jesus is real.
    > >

    > You know damn right

    You bet he's real;

    Many times when I am troubled or confused, I find comfort in sitting in
    my back yard and having a vodka and cranberry along with a quiet
    conversation with Jesus. This happened to me again recently after a
    particularly difficult day.

    I said "Jesus, why do I work so hard?"

    And I heard the reply: "Men find many ways to demonstrate the love they
    have for their family. You work hard to have a peaceful, beautiful
    place for your friends and family to gather."

    I said: "I thought that money was the root of all evil."

    And the reply was: "No, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.
    Money is a tool; it can be used for good or bad".

    I was starting to feel better, but I still had that one burning
    question, so I asked it. "Jesus," I said, "what is the meaning of life?
    Why am I here?"

    He replied: "That is a question many men ask. The answer is in your
    heart and is different for everyone. I would love to chat with you some
    more, Senor, but for now, I have to finish your lawn."

    --
    JaR
    Heretics 'r' Us
    JaR, May 16, 2008
  19. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    CBIC Guest

    Re: Download Certificate

    "JaR" <> wrote in message

    > Many times when I am troubled or confused, I find comfort in sitting in
    > my back yard and having a vodka and cranberry along with a quiet
    > conversation with Jesus. This happened to me again recently after a
    > particularly difficult day.
    >
    > I said "Jesus, why do I work so hard?"
    >
    > And I heard the reply: "Men find many ways to demonstrate the love they
    > have for their family. You work hard to have a peaceful, beautiful
    > place for your friends and family to gather."
    >
    > I said: "I thought that money was the root of all evil."
    >
    > And the reply was: "No, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.
    > Money is a tool; it can be used for good or bad".
    >
    > I was starting to feel better, but I still had that one burning
    > question, so I asked it. "Jesus," I said, "what is the meaning of life?
    > Why am I here?"
    >
    > He replied: "That is a question many men ask. The answer is in your
    > heart and is different for everyone. I would love to chat with you some
    > more, Senor, but for now, I have to finish your lawn."

    That's one smart gardener. Oh and PotD (as if you didn't know)
    CBIC, May 16, 2008
  20. Carlos Ignacio Tapia

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Download Certificate