    what is the difference between WINS and DNS or DHCP?

    & stop talking junk - post something useful for everyone
    thanks

    webuser8, Jul 14, 2004

  2. webuser8

    Techie Guest

    take a long walk off a short pier. Stop posting useless junk yourself and go
    ready a book if you know how.

    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21

    Techie, Jul 14, 2004

  3. webuser8

    Neil Guest

    "webuser8" <> wrote in news:40f50e68
    @dnews.tpgi.com.au:

    > what is the difference between WINS and DNS or DHCP?

    WINS = NetBIOS resolution
    DNS = Host name resolution
    DHCP = Dynamic IP address assignment

    and no I will not tell you more...

    because this is NG is about "certification" (hence it's name) so if you
    don't know these BASIC ITEMS!!! the exit is that was --------------->

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 14, 2004
  4. webuser8

    Doom Guest

    "webuser8" <> wrote in message
    > Seems to be a junk discusion group. It will be nice if someone could
    > contribute like answering some technical questions like
    >
    > what is the difference between WINS and DNS or DHCP?
    >
    > & stop talking junk - post something useful for everyone
    > thanks

    Look that up yourself. Why the hell should we spoon feed you info. BTW if
    someone asks an intelligent question it will get answered intelligently.

    Doom, Jul 14, 2004
  5. webuser8

    kpg Guest

    > what is the difference between WINS and DNS or DHCP?

    Yeah, I always wanted to know that too.

    I have a similar question:

    What is the difference between your a$$ and a hole in the ground?

    (Oh, sorry, you don't know that either)

    kp "<insert witty comment here>" g

    kpg, Jul 14, 2004
  6. webuser8

    JaR Guest

    webuser8 wrote:

    > Seems to be a junk discusion group. It will be nice if someone could
    > contribute like answering some technical questions like
    >
    > what is the difference between WINS and DNS or DHCP?
    >
    > & stop talking junk - post something useful for everyone
    > thanks

    If you consider that question "technical", you don't belong here anyway.
    Maybe try microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics

    JaR

    JaR, Jul 14, 2004
  7. webuser8

    webuser8 Guest

    At least someone post some useful stuff.
    It is possible to intergrate DNS onto Active Directory

    webuser8, Jul 15, 2004
  8. webuser8

    Neil Guest

    "webuser8" <> wrote in

    > At least someone post some useful stuff.
    > It is possible to intergrate DNS onto Active Directory

    do you READ at all, do you need to be spoon fed everything?

    yes in certain situations it can. LOSER! Now go get a demo copy of
    Windows 2003 and figure this stuff out for yourself and if you are going
    to ask lamer questions, try microsoft.public.win2000.networking or read
    the help files. try google or just do the needful...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 15, 2004
  9. webuser8

    Mark Mayer Guest

    I agree with you 100%. There is a lot of junk on this
    site. I hope to be the rose among thorns...

    DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) provides
    Automatic TCP/IP addresses from a range specified address
    in the datbase on the DHCP Server (can be any server you
    decide, it can be a multiple task server) used on your
    internial network (you set up the range when you
    configure the Server)

    WINS (Windows Internet Naming System) changes NETBIOS
    Names to TCP/IP addresses (i.e. Microsoft.com
    207.46.130.108) Used with older Operating Systems (NT,
    WIN 9X, etc)

    DNS (Domain Name System) allows you to find a server (or
    printer, or folder on someone elses computer) without
    knowing the IP address. The standard setup
    is "//server/folder/file"

    Hope this helps.
    Mark

    Mark Mayer, Jul 19, 2004
  10. Mark Mayer wrote:
    > I agree with you 100%.

    Yabbut what's the passing mark?

    > There is a lot of junk on this site.

    You're on a site?

    > I hope to be the rose among thorns...

    Some say love, it is a river
    That drowns the tender reed
    Some say love, it is a razor
    That leaves your soul to bleed
    Some say love, it is a hunger
    An endless aching need
    I say love, it is a flower
    And you, it's only seed

    It's the heart, afraid of breaking
    That never learns to dance
    It's the dream, afraid of waking
    That never takes the chance
    It's the one who won't be taken
    Who cannot seem to give
    And the soul, afraid of dying
    That never learns to live

    When the night has been too lonely
    And the road has been too long
    And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong
    Just remember in the winter
    Far beneath the bitter snow
    Lies the seed
    That with the sun's love, in the spring
    Becomes the rose

    --
    Fris "With apologies to Breast Midler" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jul 19, 2004
  11. webuser8

    Neil Guest

    "Mark Mayer" <> wrote in news:2ef5801c46db3
    $5b0ae230$:

    > I agree with you 100%. There is a lot of junk on this
    > site. I hope to be the rose among thorns...

    after reviewing your responses:
    I know you'd like to thank your sh!t don't stank
    But lean a little bit closer
    See that roses really smell like poo-poo
    Yeah, roses really smell like poo-poo

    {$1 to Outkast}

    WINS does not "change an NETBIOS name", it dynamically maps it (a netbios
    name) to an IP address. LMHOSTS without the manual intervention. if you
    know what LMHOSTS is...

    DNS provides the same services as WINS (name to address resolution) but
    for host names (please review the difference between winsock and NETBIOS
    interfaces).

    Thanks for playing. better luck next time. Please be more acurate in your

    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 19, 2004
  12. Neil wrote:
    > "Mark Mayer" <> wrote in news:2ef5801c46db3
    > $5b0ae230$:
    >
    >> I agree with you 100%. There is a lot of junk on this
    >> site. I hope to be the rose among thorns...

    > after reviewing your responses:
    > I know you'd like to thank your sh!t don't stank
    > But lean a little bit closer
    > See that roses really smell like poo-poo
    > Yeah, roses really smell like poo-poo
    >
    > {$1 to Outkast}
    >
    > WINS does not "change an NETBIOS name", it dynamically maps it (a
    > netbios name) to an IP address. LMHOSTS without the manual
    > intervention. if you know what LMHOSTS is...
    >
    > DNS provides the same services as WINS (name to address resolution)
    > but for host names (please review the difference between winsock and
    > NETBIOS interfaces).
    >
    > Thanks for playing. better luck next time. Please be more acurate in
    > your responses if you wish to start slapping poeple around here...

    PotD

    I usually reserve this honor for humorous (or humourous) posts (or poasts),
    but I like this one. Well, okay, it is kind of funny, just probably not so
    funny for Mr. Rose.

    --
    Fris "Oh I wish I was an Oscar Mayer weiner" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jul 19, 2004
  13. >Thanks for playing. better luck next time. Please be more acurate in your

    I *really* hoping to see an MCSE + I after that dudes name.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 19, 2004
  14. webuser8

    Neil Guest

    Frisbee® <> wrote in news:uyMWOrbbEHA.1408
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > PotD

    WHOHOOOOOO!!!!!!! In you're face Briscoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    (I need a new spot on my wall for this)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 19, 2004
  15. webuser8

    Neil Guest

    > I *really* hoping to see an MCSE + I after that dudes name.

    After mine?

    *Neil rifles thru all his certs*

    yep, thar it is, right after the MCP+I in Feb 1999 I think and just
    before the MSCE2000...
    (big frikin deal, nice blue certificate though)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 19, 2004
  16. >After mine?

    <sarcastic tone>

    yes Neil, after your name

    duh

    </sarcastic tone>

    >*Neil rifles thru all his certs*

    I'm going through mine now.... here it is... - Burger flipper of the
    Year '85 -

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 19, 2004
  17. webuser8

    nerd32768 Guest

    > >After mine?

    > <sarcastic tone>
    >
    > yes Neil, after your name
    >
    > duh
    >
    > </sarcastic tone>
    >
    > >*Neil rifles thru all his certs*

    > I'm going through mine now.... here it is... - Burger flipper of the
    > Year '85 -
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    long time ago...

    nerd32768, Jul 19, 2004
  18. nerd32768 wrote:
    > "The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
    >>> After mine?

    >> <sarcastic tone>
    >>
    >> yes Neil, after your name
    >>
    >> duh
    >>
    >> </sarcastic tone>
    >>
    >>> *Neil rifles thru all his certs*

    >> I'm going through mine now.... here it is... - Burger flipper of the
    >> Year '85 -
    >>
    >> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    > long time ago...

    in a galaxy far, far away...

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jul 19, 2004
  19. webuser8

    Neil Guest

    > I'm going through mine now.... here it is... - Burger flipper of the
    > Year '85 -

    so then you've got a MCSE+I too?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 19, 2004
  20. >> I'm going through mine now.... here it is... - Burger flipper of the
    >> Year '85 -
    >>

    >so then you've got a MCSE+I too?

    yes. Now can you explain subnetting to me and why it is more than just
    flipping bits around.... oh never mind.... slips back to the deep fat
    frier....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 19, 2004