  1. Can you tell me if you are able to use the calculator in the MCSE exams? I'm
    starting with the 70-270 in case this is exam specific.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVk?=, Jun 19, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmVk?=

    Cerebrus Guest

    On Jun 19, 1:36 pm, Red <> wrote:
    > Can you tell me if you are able to use the calculator in the MCSE exams? I'm
    > starting with the 70-270 in case this is exam specific.
    >
    > Thanks

    I think most exams have a calculator widget built into the interface.
    Personally, I've never required it though.

    Cerebrus, Jun 19, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UmVk?=

    kpg Guest

    Cerebrus <> wrote in

    > On Jun 19, 1:36 pm, Red <> wrote:
    >> Can you tell me if you are able to use the calculator in the MCSE
    >> exams? I'm starting with the 70-270 in case this is exam specific.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I think most exams have a calculator widget built into the interface.
    > Personally, I've never required it though.

    Sure. Calculators today are basically mini-computers and could be
    employed in any number of ways to aid and abet cheaters.

    We sure have come a long way since the Bomar Brain.

    kpg, Jun 19, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UmVk?=

    Kurt Guest

    Red wrote:
    > Can you tell me if you are able to use the calculator in the MCSE exams? I'm
    > starting with the 70-270 in case this is exam specific.
    >
    > Thanks

    You can use the built-in calculator (simple +, -, *, /)

    Kurt

    Kurt, Jun 20, 2007
  5. >You can use the built-in calculator (simple +, -, *, /)

    I have never used the exam calculator before, but I'm facing
    70-291now.

    The calculator offered is not the Windows "calc", like in XP / 2000?
    You cannot switch to scientic mode and do some binary calculation ,
    can you?

    Would be quite helpful for IP Subnetting questions.

    Michael Meyer, Jun 20, 2007
  6. Michael Meyer <> wrote in

    > The calculator offered is not the Windows "calc", like in XP / 2000?
    > You cannot switch to scientic mode and do some binary calculation ,
    > can you?

    The calculator is the same, but the scientific calculator is not available,
    only the standard calculator. This is stated in the MS Press books, so
    don't accuse me of NDA violations! lol.

    Red Swingline Stapler, Jun 20, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UmVk?=

    kpg Guest

    Red Swingline Stapler <> wrote in

    > Michael Meyer <> wrote in
    >
    >> The calculator offered is not the Windows "calc", like in XP / 2000?
    >> You cannot switch to scientic mode and do some binary calculation ,
    >> can you?

    > The calculator is the same, but the scientific calculator is not
    > available, only the standard calculator. This is stated in the MS
    > Press books, so don't accuse me of NDA violations! lol.

    I would hardly think the calculator style is an NDA issuse, but
    we'll keep an eye on you none the less.

    Hex to Binary is a no-brainer, Decimal to Hex/Binary is a learned
    skill. Personally I think anyone in the "computer" industry should
    have a good understanding of this stuff. It's an indicator of a
    more robust computer-related education than just "I read a book".

    0x22

    kpg, Jun 21, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UmVk?=

    Chris Lehr Guest

    Funny you mention it. The CBT nugget for 291 teaches the scientific
    calculator "cheats" for subnetting. Nice to have, but when you walk in for
    the test and its not there, you would be screwed if planning to rely on it.

    Luckily I know subnetting by hand just fine.

    Chris Lehr, Jun 29, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UmVk?=

    kpg Guest

    "Chris Lehr" <> wrote in

    > Funny you mention it. The CBT nugget for 291 teaches the scientific
    > calculator "cheats" for subnetting. Nice to have, but when you walk
    > in for the test and its not there, you would be screwed if planning to
    > rely on it.

    I usually construct an abacus out of spitballs and paperclips.
    I don't consider it cheating though, just creative use of my
    surroundings.

    kpg, Jun 29, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?UmVk?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    kpg <> prattled ceaselessly in

    > "Chris Lehr" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Funny you mention it. The CBT nugget for 291 teaches the scientific
    >> calculator "cheats" for subnetting. Nice to have, but when you walk
    >> in for the test and its not there, you would be screwed if planning to
    >> rely on it.

    > I usually construct an abacus out of spitballs and paperclips.
    > I don't consider it cheating though, just creative use of my
    > surroundings.

    I will now be asking for a disinfectant wipe instead of scratch paper
    before entering an exam room. Thank you.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Jun 29, 2007