MCSE certification

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Jon, Jun 26, 2009.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    I currently hold the following exams:-

    70-270
    70-271
    70-272
    70-290
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294

    which gives me MCDST and MCSA. I would like to confirm the last exam I need
    to get MCSE? Is it 70-297?

    Many thanks,

    Jon.
     
    Jon, Jun 26, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Jon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I currently hold the following exams:-
    >
    > 70-270
    > 70-271
    > 70-272
    > 70-290
    > 70-291
    > 70-293
    > 70-294
    >
    > which gives me MCDST and MCSA. I would like to confirm the last exam I
    > need
    > to get MCSE? Is it 70-297?


    70-297 =or= 70-298 is a required Design exam, but it appears to me that you
    still require an Elective Exam, also.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)

    MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
    My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
     
    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jun 26, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Thanks Lawrence.

    I thought the MCDST could stand as an elective?

    "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

    > "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I currently hold the following exams:-
    > >
    > > 70-270
    > > 70-271
    > > 70-272
    > > 70-290
    > > 70-291
    > > 70-293
    > > 70-294
    > >
    > > which gives me MCDST and MCSA. I would like to confirm the last exam I
    > > need
    > > to get MCSE? Is it 70-297?

    >
    > 70-297 =or= 70-298 is a required Design exam, but it appears to me that you
    > still require an Elective Exam, also.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2
    >
    > --
    > Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    > Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    > Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    >
    > MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
    > My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
    > http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    > My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    >
    >
     
    Jon, Jun 29, 2009
    #3
  4. Jon

    John R Guest

    "Jon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thanks Lawrence.
    >
    > I thought the MCDST could stand as an elective?
    >


    MCDST satisfies the elective requirement for MCSA, but not MCSE. I guess
    Microsoft doesn't expect MCDST duties to be among those of an MCSE even
    though in most smaller shops, the network admins most likely are also the
    helpdesk. It's one of those conundrum thingys.

    John R
     
    John R, Jun 29, 2009
    #4
  5. Jon

    Jon Guest

    I read that my MCDST was an elective for the MCSA, so what other exams am I
    looking at completing to get my MCSE?

    "John R" wrote:

    >
    > "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Thanks Lawrence.
    > >
    > > I thought the MCDST could stand as an elective?
    > >

    >
    > MCDST satisfies the elective requirement for MCSA, but not MCSE. I guess
    > Microsoft doesn't expect MCDST duties to be among those of an MCSE even
    > though in most smaller shops, the network admins most likely are also the
    > helpdesk. It's one of those conundrum thingys.
    >
    > John R
    >
    >
     
    Jon, Jun 29, 2009
    #5
  6. Jon

    John R Guest

    "Jon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I read that my MCDST was an elective for the MCSA, so what other exams am I
    > looking at completing to get my MCSE?
    >


    Come on Jon... click on the link that Lawrence gave you, click on 'View MCSE
    Requirements'.

    John R
     
    John R, Jun 29, 2009
    #6
  7. Jon

    arsham Guest

    70-290 means you are MCSA and 70-294 means MCSE...I think



    "Jon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I currently hold the following exams:-
    >
    > 70-270
    > 70-271
    > 70-272
    > 70-290
    > 70-291
    > 70-293
    > 70-294
    >
    > which gives me MCDST and MCSA. I would like to confirm the last exam I
    > need
    > to get MCSE? Is it 70-297?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Jon.
    >
    >
    > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
    > signature database 4202 (20090630) __________
    >
    > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
    >
    > http://www.eset.com
    >
    >
    >



    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4202 (20090630) __________

    The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

    http://www.eset.com
     
    arsham, Jul 1, 2009
    #7
  8. Jon

    Chris M Guest

    arsham wrote:
    > 70-290 means you are MCSA and 70-294 means MCSE...I think


    Not exactly. 70-290 is a core exam for both the MCSA and MCSE. 70-294 is
    a core exam for the MCSE only. You need much more than those two exams
    alone though.

    --
    Chris.
     
    Chris M, Jul 1, 2009
    #8
  9. Jon

    John R Guest

    "arsham" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > 70-290 means you are MCSA and 70-294 means MCSE...I think
    >


    No, 70-290 means the test "Managing and Maintaining a Microosft Windows
    Server 2003 Environment", and 70-294 means the test "Planning, Implementing,
    and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory
    Infrastructure". They are simply test numbers, not certifications in and of
    themselves.

    70-290 is required for MCSA, but there are also several other requirements.
    70-294 is required for MCSE, but there are also several other requirements,
    including 70-290.

    John R
     
    John R, Jul 1, 2009
    #9
  10. Jon

    anderson Guest

    Yes

    "Jon" wrote:

    > I currently hold the following exams:-
    >
    > 70-270
    > 70-271
    > 70-272
    > 70-290
    > 70-291
    > 70-293
    > 70-294
    >
    > which gives me MCDST and MCSA. I would like to confirm the last exam I need
    > to get MCSE? Is it 70-297?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Jon.
    >
     
    anderson, Sep 5, 2009
    #10
  11. Jon

    John R Guest

    "anderson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Yes


    No. See Lawrence's original response. He still needs an elective.

    John R
     
    John R, Sep 5, 2009
    #11
  12. "anderson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Yes
    >
    > "Jon" wrote:
    >
    >> I currently hold the following exams:-
    >>
    >> 70-270
    >> 70-271
    >> 70-272
    >> 70-290
    >> 70-291
    >> 70-293
    >> 70-294
    >>
    >> which gives me MCDST and MCSA. I would like to confirm the last exam I
    >> need
    >> to get MCSE? Is it 70-297?



    Unfortunately, no. You do need the 70-297 (or the 70-298) to meed the Design
    Exam requirement,

    but it also appears that you are lacking the required Elective Exam.

    You'll need to check here to determine where your interest lies for the
    Elective Exam:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)

    MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
     
    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 5, 2009
    #12
  13. > "anderson" <> wrote in message
    > news:...


    >> Yes



    Yeah.. and next time "anderson"...

    Please appropriately clip/quote your replies.

    I entirely missed that this was a repy to a ten week old, already answered
    (correctly, I might add) message, and totally missed your one-word
    (incorrect, I'll reiterate) answer - for all the "noise" you left in your
    message surrounding your one-word (incorrect) answer.

    I thought this was a *NEW* message, and replied appropriately. (Maybe it's
    better I didn't realize you were posting to a ten week old
    already-answered-correctly message with an incorrect answer, or I might
    likely have been much less courteous than I'm being at this particular
    moment.

    [Thank you John R for noticing the incorrect reply to the old post -- which
    I see, was about five minutes before I posted my long-winded (and
    unnecessarily re-researched) answer. ARrrggghhh.... now I gotta go take a
    chill-pill so I can finish replying to other, more productive, posts.]


    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)

    MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
     
    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 6, 2009
    #13
  14. Jon

    ashok Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

    > "anderson" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Yes
    > >
    > > "Jon" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I currently hold the following exams:-
    > >>
    > >> 70-270
    > >> 70-271
    > >> 70-272
    > >> 70-290
    > >> 70-291
    > >> 70-293
    > >> 70-294
    > >>
    > >> which gives me MCDST and MCSA. I would like to confirm the last exam I
    > >> need
    > >> to get MCSE? Is it 70-297?

    >
    >
    > Unfortunately, no. You do need the 70-297 (or the 70-298) to meed the Design
    > Exam requirement,
    >
    > but it also appears that you are lacking the required Elective Exam.
    >
    > You'll need to check here to determine where your interest lies for the
    > Elective Exam:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2
    >
    > --
    > Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    > Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    > Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    >
    > MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
    > My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    >
     
    ashok, Dec 23, 2009
    #14
  15. Jon

    ashok Guest

    sir complete the exam for mcse

    "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

    > "anderson" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Yes
    > >
    > > "Jon" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I currently hold the following exams:-
    > >>
    > >> 70-270
    > >> 70-271
    > >> 70-272
    > >> 70-290
    > >> 70-291
    > >> 70-293
    > >> 70-294
    > >>
    > >> which gives me MCDST and MCSA. I would like to confirm the last exam I
    > >> need
    > >> to get MCSE? Is it 70-297?

    >
    >
    > Unfortunately, no. You do need the 70-297 (or the 70-298) to meed the Design
    > Exam requirement,
    >
    > but it also appears that you are lacking the required Elective Exam.
    >
    > You'll need to check here to determine where your interest lies for the
    > Elective Exam:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2
    >
    > --
    > Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    > Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    > Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    >
    > MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
    > My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    >
     
    ashok, Dec 23, 2009
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?cm9oYW4=?=

    MCP Certification and the new certification tracks

    =?Utf-8?B?cm9oYW4=?=, Oct 25, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,150
    brett
    Oct 29, 2006
  2. =?Utf-8?B?bG9sbw==?=
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    815
    Kline Sphere
    Feb 22, 2007
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,718
    John R
    Jan 8, 2009
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,059
  5. freemcse

    Microsoft MCSE Certification MCSE Training Certification

    freemcse, Aug 30, 2009, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,960
    freemcse
    Aug 30, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page