MCSE certification

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by O.A., Aug 23, 2004.

  1. O.A.

    O.A. Guest

    MCSE certification has become a must for those interested
    in getting the top IT/networking jobs. These days, you
    simply cannot be competitive and demand a top salary
    without MCSE certification.

    But getting your MCSE isn't easy and it can't be done at
    all without proper preparation, study, and practice. You
    need an effective and inexpensive plan for pursuing your
    MCSE certification.

    In order to qualify for MCSE certification, you must pass
    several challenging exams. It's quite easy to spend
    upwards of $5000 just preparing to take the exams!

    MCSE preparation programs range from so-called "MCSE
    certification Bootcamps" (where you receive intensive
    classroom and laboratory training over a period of several
    weeks), to MCSE certification study programs provided by
    colleges or private IT training firms.

    If you're disciplined and possess good study habits, you
    can prepare yourself for taking the MCSE certification
    exams yourself, saving perhaps thousands of dollars in the
    process.

    MCSE exam preparation guidelines:
    Buy good certification books.

    Yes, I know how thick they are. The exams do cover that
    much material, so what can you do except prepare for it? A
    teacher is not going to talk that much without wearing out
    his vocal cords, so in the final analysis you will spend a
    lot of time reading and studying those books anyway.

    I was advised by one training school recruiter that the
    recommended path to MCSE certification was to take a class
    on each MCSE exam topic for 3 full days, study for a
    month, and finally take the certification exams.

    So, that's a minimum of 10 days of studying a thick MCSE
    study guide for each day of class anyway.

    So you're simply going to have to purchase and study some
    thick books no matter what. Is it really necessary to pay
    for a live teacher as well? People can and do pass the
    MCSE certification exams simply by studying on their own.

    Purchase computer-based CD-ROM training guides.

    This is very similar to the above method, except that
    computer based training is more interactive, more fun, and
    likely more effective for most people than using books. Of
    course it's also more expensive, although still nowhere
    near $5000.

    It's also easier to for you to stay awake when using the
    CD-ROMS. The questions and interactivity force you to
    interact with the material. Using it immediately and
    getting instant feedback helps reinforce learning and
    understanding of the MCSE principles and concepts that
    you'll have to master in order to pass the MCSE exams.
    This is recommended for those who really dread the thought
    of just sitting and poring over thick books, yet can't
    afford the $5000 MCSE classes.

    If there's a question you just cannot find the answer to,
    put it out on one of the many newsgroups or listserves on
    the Internet, and let one of many experienced on-the-job
    networking professionals help you out. Live teachers can
    do this as well, but they often don't have the same
    extensive experience and background in what's happening in
    the real IT world.

    People can and do pass the MCSE certification exams just
    by taking computer based training. One company, Forefront,
    even offers a 90 day money back guarantee on all its
    certification courses. If you don't pass the MCSE exams
    after using their CBT course, you get your money back.

    There are several top-quality CBT programs available
    online. Visit a few of the companies' websites for more
    information on their offerings, pricing, and guarantees.

    Take online MCSE certification training classes. Again, it
    will take long hours of study, but it's a very interesting
    format.

    Assemble your own personal network study lab by purchasing
    several used PC's and hooking them up in your home or
    office.

    You can usually find used computers for peanuts online or
    in your local newspaper classifieds section. And be sure
    to ask around. Lots of people have old 486s taking up
    garage or closet space. They'll probably give them to you
    for free just to get rid of them!

    Purchase the network parts in a local computer store or
    online.

    Setting up your own network is a great way to get hands on
    experience. I got the idea after seeing it mentioned in a
    post in a discussion forum by someone who actually did it.
    You'll learn directly how to work with the equipment and
    gain valuable hands-on experience.

    It's not the same as networking 100 workstations and
    servers in a company setting, but it's still a great idea.
    You'll still have to study those thick MCSE certification
    guides, but you'll be able to put your hands to work on
    that chapter's material right away, thus reinforcing your
    new knowledge and skills as you go.

    If you're currently employed in a networking job, your
    employer may be willing to pay for the classes. You'll
    probably have to sign an agreement to continue working for
    them for a couple of years or so.

    Many companies now require such an arrangement because
    they have been burned by paying for certification classes
    for employees who then left for higher paying jobs. In
    other words, most companies are only willing to pay for
    your MCSE certification if you agree to put your new
    knowledge and skills to work for them for a reasonable
    time period.

    It is certainly fair however to make it clear to your boss
    that you will expect to be paid a higher salary
    commensurate with your higher level of skill, training,
    and job duties.

    If your company doesn't agree, it means they want to keep
    you trapped in your current dead end job. You may be well
    advised to consider getting out and looking for a company
    that wants to build itself by helping its employees.

    Of course a lot will depend on your relationship with the
    company and your boss. How long you've worked there? Do
    you act in a way that makes them believe you see a long-
    term future with them after they foot the bill for your
    MCSE certification?

    Pass the first couple of required MCSE exams on your own,
    then use those credentials to get an entry level job with
    a new employer who is willing to pay for the classes.

    You're not going to be hired as a network administrator
    after you pass one or two of the required MCSE exams. But
    you may be able to use those exams to get your foot in the
    door with an entry-level IT job.

    Many new IT job seekers are hired to answer customer
    technical questions. This type of position has high
    visibility in the organization. Do well while working
    toward your MCSE certification and you can move up quickly.

    Make sure your boss understands that you have your sights
    set on networking and that you plan to continue your
    education whether they pay for it or not.

    Don't say so in so many words, but do make it clear that
    if you wind up paying for your MCSE certification by
    yourself, you will feel no loyalty toward the company, and
    will therefore feel free to take any position for which
    you qualify once you're certified.

    Why shouldn't you feel that way if have to foot the bill
    for your MCSE certification all on your own? That's isn't
    a threat, just you looking out for yourself.

    Pass the new CompTIA Network+ cross-platform certification
    test, use that certification to get an entry level job,
    then get your new employer to pay for the MCSE
    certification classes.

    This method is very similar to the one above. You can use
    your new Network+ certification to get your foot in the
    door at a company that is willing to pay for your MCSE
    training and exams.

    Virtually everything in these cases depends on the quality
    of your relationship with your employer. If the
    relationship is a good one, and they see you as an
    evolving superior asset who's going to have a lot to offer
    them in the future, that's obviously in your favor.

    But if you're seen as someone just out for yourself,
    they're not going to risk investing the money in your MCSE
    certification. And if you do leave, good riddance.

    If you're unemployed, the government may be willing to pay
    for your MCSE certification training and exams.

    Check with your unemployment office to see what is
    available in your local area. Here in St. Louis, laid off
    Boeing workers have a complete center paid for with a
    government grant, and the program is sending some to
    various types of computer training, MCSE included.

    If you happen to be on SSI, apply for a PASS Plan. The
    premise is you're capable of working as a networking
    professional, but you can't because you don't have the
    required skills or MCSE certification to qualify for the
    job. So you want to learn by buying the MCSE certification
    study guides, etc.

    Consult with a career counselor or Vocational
    Rehabilitation representative. Come up with a good
    estimate for the cost of the MCSE certification. And be
    sure to include the cost of the exams too, not just the
    training. Assume you may have to repeat some of the exams -
    that's normal, most everybody does. Whatever that amount
    of money is, you don't have it.

    But if you could only go to work, maybe at a fast food
    restaurant or whatever, you could save the money up in 6
    months or so. But you can't right now because if you go to
    work, your SSI will be cut so much you still won't be able
    to save much. That's where the PASS Plan comes into play.

    Conclusion:

    Not all of these methods will work for everyone. But if
    you're disciplined and willing to read, study, and work
    hard on your own, you don't have to spend top dollar to
    get your MCSE certification.

    If you can get your employer or the government to pay for
    your MCSE training and exams, go for it. Each of these
    methods has already been used by many others and will be
    used by many more. Now get busy and get your MCSE
    certification!

    O.A.
    A+, N+, i-Net+, CCNP MCSE2003
    O.A., Aug 23, 2004

  2. O.A.

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, O.A. climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    > MCSE certification has become a must for those interested
    > in getting the <unoriginal post snipped>

    Reproduction without attribution is plagiarism. But then what else would we
    expect.

    JaR
    Patented Thug
    JaR, Aug 23, 2004

  3. >MCSE certification has become a must for those interested
    >in getting the top IT/networking jobs.

    which planet do you come from again?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 24, 2004
  4. O.A.

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere <.>
    spewed in news::

    > which planet do you come from again?

    Uranus

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 24, 2004
  5. >> which planet do you come from again?

    >Uranus

    that figures

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 24, 2004
  6. O.A.

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere <.>
    spewed in news::

    >>> which planet do you come from again?

    >>Uranus

    > that figures

    you get a lot of people popping out of there?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 24, 2004
  7. >>>> which planet do you come from again?

    >>>Uranus

    >> that figures

    >you get a lot of people popping out of there?

    Unfortunately it would appear so.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 24, 2004
  8. O.A.

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere <.>
    spewed in news:p:

    >>> that figures

    >>you get a lot of people popping out of there?

    > Unfortunately it would appear so.

    talk about having a bug up yer arse...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 24, 2004
  9. >talk about having a bug up yer arse...

    logical error, if you don't mind!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 24, 2004
  10. In article <b9bf01c48934$41b7dd50$>, says...

    > MCSE certification has become a must for those interested
    > in getting the top IT/networking jobs. These days, you
    > simply cannot be competitive and demand a top salary
    > without MCSE certification.

    Total rot, sorry.

    Laura
    Laura A. Robinson, Aug 25, 2004
  11. >Total rot, sorry.

    don't ever be sorry for telling the truth.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 25, 2004
  12. In article <>, The Poster Formerly
    Known as Kline Sphere <.> says...
    > >Total rot, sorry.

    > don't ever be sorry for telling the truth.

    Okay, then...

    Total rot.

    Ah, I feel better now.

    Laura