MCSE 2003 next steps

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Mikoyan, Apr 15, 2010.

  1. Mikoyan

    Mikoyan Guest

    Hi All,

    I am an MCSE 2003 and would like some advice on how to progress in my
    certification.

    Firstly which is the highest Server 2008 cert, am I correct in guessing
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator?

    Second, should I go the upgrade route, or study MCITP from scratch? My first
    thought was that the upgrade path decision is a no-brainer, however on
    second thoughts I would prefer to learn thoroughly and time is not a key
    element here.

    I plan on taking 70-680 first, which seems a pre-requisite whatever route I
    take.

    Some careers advice please.

    Thanks, Anastas.

    Mikoyan, Apr 15, 2010

  2. Mikoyan

    Chris M Guest

    On 15/04/2010 17:02, Mikoyan wrote:
    > I am an MCSE 2003 and would like some advice on how to progress in my
    > certification.
    >
    > Firstly which is the highest Server 2008 cert, am I correct in guessing
    > MCITP Enterprise Administrator?
    >
    > Second, should I go the upgrade route, or study MCITP from scratch? My
    > first thought was that the upgrade path decision is a no-brainer,
    > however on second thoughts I would prefer to learn thoroughly and time
    > is not a key element here.
    >
    > I plan on taking 70-680 first, which seems a pre-requisite whatever
    > route I take.

    The Enterprise Administrator cert is roughly equivalent to the MCSE (as
    the Server Administrator cert is to the MCSA).

    If I were you I'd definitely go for the upgrade. I did it recently and
    70-649 isn't a difficult exam, but the MS study material is thorough and
    gives you a good idea of the whole subject matter. I use Server 2008 as
    part of my job though. If you're not already using it then I suppose you
    may prefer to do the three core exams from scratch. I'd still recommend
    the upgrade though :)

    70-647 is the Pro exam which I was expecting to be roughly equivalent to
    the 297 design exam for 2003. The MS training kit reads like a book for
    a design exam, but the exam itself was way easier than 297 and didn't
    have any scenario type testlets.

    70-680 isn't necessarily a pre-requisite - you could do the Vista exam
    in its place - but the Windows 7 one would be preferable. Again, it's
    not a hard exam (it might be just me, but I have found the new exams to
    be rather easy compared to the MCSE 2003 ones).

    --
    Chris M.

    Chris M, Apr 16, 2010

  3. Mikoyan

    Mikoyan Guest

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

    We use Server 2003 and XP pro PCs at work, but are going to switch to using
    Windows 7 soon. A

    I found 291 the hardest MCSE exam - anything that hard in the upgrade?

    Anastas

    Mikoyan, Apr 17, 2010
  4. Mikoyan

    Chris M Guest

    On 17/04/2010 20:54, Mikoyan wrote:
    > Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    >
    > We use Server 2003 and XP pro PCs at work, but are going to switch to
    > using Windows 7 soon. A
    >
    > I found 291 the hardest MCSE exam - anything that hard in the upgrade?

    Yeah, 290 and 291 were both difficult. There was nothing anywhere near
    that difficult in the upgrade exams. I didn't even come across any
    simulations. All the questions were very short, nothing like the ones in
    the MCSE. The new exams are way too easy, in my opinion.

    --
    Chris M.

    Chris M, Apr 17, 2010