    Mcsd or Can I study myself? I have masters degree in
    computer applications. Please give me some suggestions for
    the study material.

    Shahi, Feb 25, 2004

  2. In news: 171301c3fbd0$d4aa8460$,
    Shahi <> wrote:

    Hi Shahi,

    > I am planning to prepare for MCSD exam. But I am not sure
    > mcsd.net or visualBasic 6.0.

    What is your goal? Why do you want to become certified? The answer will
    determine which one you should go for.

    > I know VisualBasic 6. I don't
    > know anything about .Net. I don't know whether I can
    > study .net by myself. Is it very tough?
    > If anybody has any suggestions , plese help me.
    > One more thing do I need to attend any training class for
    > Mcsd or Can I study myself? I have masters degree in
    > computer applications. Please give me some suggestions for
    > the study material.

    You can study by yourself if you want. If you read some of the other posts
    in this newsgroup you'll see a lot of discussions of which study materials
    are good.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Shahi

    wonkotsane Guest

    I'm in the same boat here, I'm fine with vb6 although
    there's still a lot for me to learn. I've not made the
    move to vb.net yet although I have dabbled a couple of
    times but produced nothing really. My only formal
    education in programming was a few years ago doing Pascal
    and a bit on structured english, program design, etc. I
    really want to get into software development as a career
    and to further my knowledge for my own benefit as it's
    something I really enjoy. I have been toying with the
    idea of doing an MCSD for some time now but with the
    emergence of .NET and Microsoft's stated plan of phasing
    out vb6 in favour of all-out managed code I don't know if
    it is worth my while doing a vb6 MCSD when vb6 is going to
    be pushed out of the market in favour of .NET.

    Stuart Parr aka wonkotsane
    http://www.vbcity.com/forums/profile.asp?id=wonkotsane

    wonkotsane, Feb 26, 2004
  4. "Shahi" <> wrote in message news:<171301c3fbd0$d4aa8460$>...
    > I am planning to prepare for MCSD exam. But I am not sure
    > mcsd.net or visualBasic 6.0. I know VisualBasic 6. I don't
    > know anything about .Net. I don't know whether I can
    > study .net by myself. Is it very tough?
    > If anybody has any suggestions , plese help me.
    > One more thing do I need to attend any training class for
    > Mcsd or Can I study myself? I have masters degree in
    > computer applications. Please give me some suggestions for
    > the study material.

    A couple of things...

    The VB6 track is about to retire and will no longer be offered by
    Microsoft. I believe it retires the end of June 2004. So, it may not
    be the best decision to go for the VB6 core exams (70-100, 175, and
    176) at this time. Now, if you will receive an immediate benefit in
    your present position if you were to be certified in VB6, then I'd say
    go for it. But, if you want to become an MCSD with a technology that
    will have longevity, then go for .NET. If you do choose to persue the
    MCSD in VB6 prior to it retiring, make sure you chose an elective that
    will transfer to the MCSD.NET certification, such as 70-229.

    As far as study materials, go to Microsoft's MCSD website for a start,
    and then search Amazon.com or your favorite online book store and
    search for MCSD...you'll find lots of study materials to help you on
    your way.

    Kael

    Kael V. Dowdy, Feb 26, 2004