    thinking just buying the self-paced books from Microsoft
    and study by myself, then take the certification exams,....

    I need opinion guys. Thanks

    Ger4ld, May 27, 2004

  2. >(I was told there
    >will be 8 exams for MCSD)

    You were told wrong.

    >I am
    >thinking just buying the self-paced books from Microsoft
    >and study by myself, then take the certification exams,....

    Good idea.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 27, 2004

  3. Ger4ld

    Ger4ld Guest

    Thanks for replies guys. Yeah I checked, not 8 exams. 4
    core exams and 1 elec exam.

    Was wondering, getting the MCSD training kit is enough? My
    working pc runs on XP Pro, Visual Studio.Net 2003 (60 day
    eval), SQL Server 2000,... will this be enough resource to
    study andpass the exams??

    Ive been working on .Net Primarily asp.net and ado.net
    using the .Net SDK, and using webmatrix and dreamweaver mx
    as my development aid.

    Am just axious if going to traning school and spening that
    much money would be as much as studying on my own.

    Opinions are really appreciated. And ADVICES.

    Ger4ld, May 27, 2004
  4. Ger4ld

    Guest Guest

    Did you mention what your prior professional development experience has
    been? Buy the C# for web training book, study for a few weeks and then try
    taking the first exam on your own.

    Guest, May 27, 2004
  5. >Thanks for replies guys. Yeah I checked, not 8 exams. 4
    >core exams and 1 elec exam.

    Yep.

    >Was wondering, getting the MCSD training kit is enough? My
    >working pc runs on XP Pro, Visual Studio.Net 2003 (60 day
    >eval), SQL Server 2000,... will this be enough resource to
    >study andpass the exams??

    MS training kits are rubbish, don't waste your money on those. Your
    environment is fine.

    >Ive been working on .Net Primarily asp.net and ado.net
    >using the .Net SDK, and using webmatrix and dreamweaver mx
    >as my development aid.

    OK, good start, ADO is covered on all the exams. You may need to have
    a play with component services, how to interop with COM and the win32
    API & how to create and use windows services.

    For the desktop stuff, real simple but make sure you understand about
    config files.

    Make sure you read through the exam prep guides.

    >Am just axious if going to traning school and spening that
    >much money would be as much as studying on my own.

    Waste of money for any professional. If you do go down this route,
    make sure they have a good reputation.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 28, 2004
  6. Ger4ld

    Larry Somers Guest

    If you've been a Windows developer for several years and
    know C++ and OO then I suggest
    http://www.trainingcamp.net. (and no, I don't work for
    them). They offer two week boot camps that get you though
    all the MCSD examps. Cost is about $7500 but this
    includes exams, meals and lodging for two weeks of
    intensive training that will get you your MCSD. They
    really know what they're doing and all instructors are
    Microsoft certified. You need to pass 5 exams, 3 for the
    MCAD and 2 more for the MCSD.

    They have a main facility at a resort in the Poconos
    Mountains in Pennsylvania that is great!

    It's intense. You will get about 4 hours sleep a night
    and no time for anything but studing for the exams. You
    need to have a good attitude and not too big of an ego
    and you'll do fine. I went though it and thought it was
    great! The guys that faied were the quitters and the guys
    with egos that couldn't handel the possibility of
    failure. Some of the guys didn't pass one of the exams
    the first time but the insturctor works with you if you
    fail and you simply retake the exam the next day. (Extra
    exams cost $125).

    Don't do it if you have not been doing Windows and OO
    development for several years, including at least some
    SQL Server development experience. This training is not
    for novices.

    the
    >package cost. i went to one tech school and offered me
    >$12,500 for the whole package, like 208 hours of
    >instructional traning excluding the lab hours, price
    >excludes the exam fees which is $125/exam (I was told

    there
    >will be 8 exams for MCSD).
    >
    >Is this a good deal? The traning costing me this much, I

    am

    Larry Somers, May 30, 2004
  7. Or better still....

    If you've been a Windows developer for several years and
    know C++ and OO then I suggest -

    .... that you already have good grounding in which to get to grips with
    dot net, certainly to the level required to pass the exams.

    You can then spend the $7,500 on a two week vacation with the wife and
    kids, instead of handing over the cash to boot camp provider.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 30, 2004
  8. Ger4ld

    Guest Guest

    Or you can use it to build a fort out of one dollar
    bills.....or if thats not enough convert it to pennies....
    surely then the fort will be large enough!

    Guest, Jun 1, 2004
  9. >Or you can use it to build a fort out of one dollar
    >bills.....or if thats not enough convert it to pennies....
    >surely then the fort will be large enough!

    nice idea!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 1, 2004
  10. Ger4ld

    Marty McFly Guest

    I agree, Larry...overall, The Training Camp was a good training experience
    for me, too. I took the last half (one week) of the MCDBA training, and
    passed both exams (70-228 & 70-229) easily on the first try.

    BUT...after lectures and labs, we DID use Test King exams to prepare for the
    actual exams. Many of the questions on the real exam were word-for-word out
    of the Test King exams. I will always be ashamed of that. Honestly, the
    lecture and labs were great, but I recommend the braindump route only if you
    have no conscience.

    Marty

    Marty McFly, Jul 12, 2004
  11. >I agree, Larry...overall, The Training Camp was a good training experience
    >for me, too.

    No, what you are saying is that http://www.trainingcamp.net are a
    bunch of shitheads....

    >I took the last half (one week) of the MCDBA training, and
    >passed both exams (70-228 & 70-229) easily on the first try.

    Hardly surprising if you knew the [many of] answers up front. fcuking
    disgrace...

    >BUT...after lectures and labs, we DID use Test King exams to prepare for the
    >actual exams. Many of the questions on the real exam were word-for-word out
    >of the Test King exams. I will always be ashamed of that.

    So you should be you. I wonder if you have reported them (as I've
    done) to ms? Not that ms give a damn...

    >Honestly, the
    >lecture and labs were great, but I recommend the braindump route only if you
    >have no conscience.

    Anyone that needs to go the ' braindump route' is a worthless
    c.o.u.n.t that has no business in the IT industry. There are already
    far to many (maybe you are one of them?) idiots working with microsoft
    products, we don't need any more - I'm sure Doc would agree.

    This post only goes to prove what a disgrace the ms certification
    process is.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 17, 2004