    elective for MCSD .Net) in July would that person be MCSD
    certified (having met all requirements, but after the
    retirement date)?

    Kevin, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Kevin

    Andre Guest

    Yes.

    an

    Andre, Apr 8, 2004

  3. >Yes.

    Are you really sure about that? It sure don't sound that way on the
    web site, but then again it could be just be worded badly.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Kevin

    Andre Guest

    Absolutely, only if someone completes the core exams
    before 6/30.

    Andre, MCP

    Andre, Apr 9, 2004
  5. That's sure not how I read it on thief [ms] site, although the wording
    is quite ambiguous: -

    <quote
    source='http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/requirements.asp'>

    Note: As denoted in the tables below, Microsoft Visual Studio® 6.0
    based exams are scheduled for discontinuation on June 30, 2004, after
    which the MCSD on Visual Studio 6.0 track will no longer be available.
    Anyone who earned the MCSD certification before June 30, 2004, will
    remain certified.

    </quote>

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 06:52:10 -0700, "Andre"
    <> wrote:

    >Absolutely, only if someone completes the core exams
    >before 6/30.
    >
    >Andre, MCP

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 9, 2004
  6. I wondered about the same thing for the MCDBA. I took 70-175 for the
    MCSD VB6 and was gonna use it as an elective for the MCDBA, but wasn't
    sure if I was going to take all the core exams before the 175 exam
    retired. I did end up taking all the MCDBA exams prior to 175
    retiring (which retires on June 30, 2004) so I didn't have to worry
    about that. However, I never got a definitive answer on that
    situation. I'd email just to be sure...

    Kael

    Kael V. Dowdy, Apr 9, 2004
  7. > I'd email just to be sure...

    agreed

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Kevin

    Andre Guest

    >although the wording is quite ambiguous: -
    I agree.

    Andre, MCP

    Andre, Apr 9, 2004
  9. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Thanks for the advice. I sent the following email to
    mcphelp:

    I have a question about the retirement of the MCSD for
    Visual Basic 6.0 exams.

    If I take and pass exams 70-100, 70-175, and 70-176 before
    June 30th, and then take test 70-229 after June 30th,
    would I be MCSD certified?

    I posted this question on the MCSD forum, but no one has a
    definitive answer.

    ~Kevin

    This is the response that I received:

    Hello Kevin,

    Thank you for your e-mail regarding completing the MCSD
    Visual Studio 6.0 exams before they are discontinued.

    We can confirm that if you successfully complete exams 70-
    175, 70-176, 70-100, and 70-229 before June 30, 2004, you
    will achieve the MCSD Visual Studio 6.0 Certification.
    Mind you that we suggest strongly that you not leave the
    exam completion for the last moment, as exams take 5 to 7
    business days to post on a candidates record, which can
    cause doubt and confusion close to the discontinuation
    date.

    We were unable to locate your file in our database with
    the information you have provided. In order to assist you
    further, we will need to verify some additional
    information. Please reply to this email and include the
    following information as it appears in our database...

    ....Once we receive your reply with the included
    information, we will be able to assist you with your
    future inquiries.

    If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us
    know. Thank you for contacting Microsoft...

    So, I didn't really get an answer. Plus since I haven't
    actually taken any MCP tests as of yet (the first will be
    Friday: 70-176), I can't reply to this message and restate
    my original question in a manor that will be eaiser for
    this person to understand.

    For anyone following this thread, I plan to respond to the
    message Friday after I pass the test.

    Kevin, Apr 14, 2004
  10. So the answer to your original question is 'NO'!!!

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 14, 2004
  11. Kevin wrote:
    > Thanks for the advice. I sent the following email to
    > mcphelp:
    >
    > I have a question about the retirement of the MCSD for
    > Visual Basic 6.0 exams.
    >
    > If I take and pass exams 70-100, 70-175, and 70-176 before
    > June 30th, and then take test 70-229 after June 30th,
    > would I be MCSD certified?

    <Snip>

    > This is the response that I received:

    <Snip>

    > We can confirm that if you successfully complete exams 70-
    > 175, 70-176, 70-100, and 70-229 before June 30, 2004, you
    > will achieve the MCSD Visual Studio 6.0 Certification.

    Deer $deity who is Microsoft hiring for tech support these days?
    Outsourcing?

    I'll bet the person who replied to your VERY clearly stated question with a
    completely ambiguous answer doesn't even have a high school diploma, and
    probably makes twice what I do.

    --
    Fris "I wonder if they're hiring?" bee®

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Apr 14, 2004
  12. The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere wrote:
    > So the answer to your original question is 'NO'!!!

    Not necessarily. I can see how MS's reply could be read that way, but I
    think the MS person is just an idiot. Anyone could see what the OP's
    original concern was, and I don't think they answered it definitively at
    all.

    Is MS planning on retiring exam 70-229 on that date? I though only the
    other three exams were being retired. I know that you can still get an NT
    4.0 MCSE if you've already passed all the retired exams, but manage to take
    one of the electives that are still offered, or at least you could at one
    time, so I would think the same should apply in this case.

    The MS employee should have worded the answer in a way that acknowledges
    they understood the question. I don't think they did.

    --
    Fris "shoe them!" bee®

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Apr 14, 2004
  13. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    >Is MS planning on retiring exam 70-229 on that date? I
    though only the
    >other three exams were being retired.

    The answer to that is no. In fact, part of the reason
    I've chosen to take 70-229 as the elective for my MCSD 6.0
    cert is because 70-229 as also an elective for the
    MCSD .Net cert. Kill two birds with one stone.

    Kevin, Apr 14, 2004
  14. >Deer $deity who is Microsoft hiring for tech support these days?
    >Outsourcing?

    Exactly.

    >I'll bet the person who replied to your VERY clearly stated question with a
    >completely ambiguous answer doesn't even have a high school diploma, and
    >probably makes twice what I do.

    The person simple copy the 'ambiguous' answer from the web site.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 14, 2004
  15. >> So the answer to your original question is 'NO'!!!

    >Not necessarily. I can see how MS's reply could be read that way, but I
    >think the MS person is just an idiot. Anyone could see what the OP's
    >original concern was, and I don't think they answered it definitively at
    >all.
    >
    >Is MS planning on retiring exam 70-229 on that date? I though only the
    >other three exams were being retired. I know that you can still get an NT
    >4.0 MCSE if you've already passed all the retired exams, but manage to take
    >one of the electives that are still offered, or at least you could at one
    >time, so I would think the same should apply in this case.
    >
    >The MS employee should have worded the answer in a way that acknowledges
    >they understood the question. I don't think they did.

    This is point! The 'information' on the web site is *clearly*
    ambiguous and the 'answer' Kevin received back never answered his
    question.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 14, 2004
  16. Kevin

    Andre Guest

    The answer is YES!

    Andre, MCP

    'Round and round we go, nobody know seems to show'

    Andre, Apr 14, 2004
  17. >The answer is YES!

    ... or NO! (just kidding!)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 14, 2004
  18. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I've put this information at the top of the thread for
    easier access. If the material within doesn't make any
    sense, you'll want to read the entire thread.

    I emailed Microsoft again with a much more detailed
    explanation of what I was trying to accomplish and this
    was their reply:

    Hello Kevin,

    Thank you for your e-mail regarding the MCSD
    Certification.

    We understand your concerns in the matters you questioned.
    However, as long as the requirements are taken and passed
    by the discontinued date of the exam, you are okay. Exam
    70-229 can be taken at any time before it is scheduled to
    be discontinued.

    When these exams are taken and passed you will be
    certified as an MCSD. As these exams are scheduled to be
    discontinued not retired. Once an exam is retired, a
    candidate can become decertified. However, you still hold
    certification with a discontinued exam...

    So, what I gather from this email is that Microsoft
    differentiates between a test that has been 'discontinued'
    and a test that has been 'retired'. Retired test are
    basically removed from your 'record' while discontinued
    test remain active. Therefore, if you pass the core tests
    before they're discontinued and take the final elective
    thereafter, you will have obtained MCSD 6.0 status.

    Kevin, Apr 19, 2004
  19. Kevin

    Neel Roy Guest

    Kevin Kline ;) ,

    Thanks for your input. I was planning to take Visual Basic 6.0 desktop as
    elective and pass it before 30th June but Core Exams of Visual C++ 6.0
    desktop and distributed themselves are leaving me breathless.. but now I
    have better option of taking 70-229 and can pass that after June 30 before
    MS decides to 'discontinue' it... I imagine they wont do that at least till
    september....

    Thanks a lot again...

    Neel...

    Neel Roy, Apr 20, 2004
  20. >but now I
    >have better option of taking 70-229 and can pass that after June 30 before
    >MS decides to 'discontinue' it... I imagine they wont do that at least till
    >september....

    I would say not before June 2006.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 20, 2004