    at home using Viera's book with MSDE. Should I go out and look for SQL
    Server 2000? Thanks for your opinions.

    Rick
    Rick, Aug 27, 2004

  2. >To prepare for 70-229 I plan on using MSDE since I don't have access to SQL
    >Server 2000 Enterprise edition. Would this be sufficient?

    unfortunately yes.

    > I plan on studying
    >at home using Viera's book with MSDE.

    excellent book

    >Should I go out and look for SQL
    >Server 2000?

    get a 120 day trial version.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Rick

    Guest Guest

    I'm thinking that the Developer Edition of SQL Server can be purchased for
    around $100. It comes with the same front tools such as Enterprise Manager
    and Query Analyzer.

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > To prepare for 70-229 I plan on using MSDE since I don't have access to

    SQL
    > Server 2000 Enterprise edition. Would this be sufficient? I plan on

    studying

    Guest, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Rick

    Eric Guest

    <WKidd> wrote:

    > I'm thinking that the Developer Edition of SQL Server can be
    > purchased for around $100. It comes with the same front tools such as
    > Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer.

    I've seen if for around $50.

    But I might D/L the eval version, and use MSDE after the eval period
    runs out. You can still use Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer with
    MSDE - these tools don't expire.

    Eric
    Eric, Aug 27, 2004
  5. >You can still use Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer with
    >MSDE

    ..... But not necessary legally....

    Amongst other restrictions, the MSDE does not come with enterprise
    manager or query analyzer, and the MSDE license agreement, by itself,
    does not allow the use of said tools.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Rick

    Eric Guest

    > .... But not necessary legally....

    You mean I'm supposed to read that blurb that comes up when I try to
    install something?

    The new SQL Express 2005 (replacement for MSDE) will come with some
    kind of graphical tools, so this isn't a big deal.

    Eric
    Eric, Aug 30, 2004
  7. >You mean I'm supposed to read that blurb that comes up when I try to
    >install something?

    dear oh dear.....

    >The new SQL Express 2005 (replacement for MSDE) will come with some
    >kind of graphical tools, so this isn't a big deal.

    that has nothing to do with the question.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 30, 2004
  8. Rick

    Eric Guest

    > > You mean I'm supposed to read that blurb that comes up when I try to
    > > install something?

    > dear oh dear.....
    >
    > > The new SQL Express 2005 (replacement for MSDE) will come with some
    > > kind of graphical tools, so this isn't a big deal.

    > that has nothing to do with the question.
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    that never stopped me before :)

    Eric
    Eric, Aug 31, 2004
  9. >that never stopped me before :)

    GOOG LUCK IN PRISON!!!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 31, 2004
  10. Rick

    Guest Guest

    I hear the inmates are hard on software pirates. Especially the young skinny
    ones.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2004
  11. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Hello again,

    Thanks for the responses. FYI, I did have a trial version of SQL Server and
    this expired, it just quit working. So I tried to install MSDE but had some
    installation problems. I don't think my uninstall of SQL Server got
    everything. I'll probably pursue getting MSDE installed.

    Can you tell me a bit more about SQL Server Developer? Will this cover my
    needs just to use with VS.net and study for 70-229?

    Rick

    Rick, Sep 3, 2004
  12. >Can you tell me a bit more about SQL Server Developer? Will this cover my
    >needs just to use with VS.net and study for 70-229?

    yes.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 3, 2004
  13. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Hi,

    I looked up SQL Server Developer and it says that it's not compatible with
    Windows XP. I'm running XP Pro so this seems like a problem.

    Rick

    Rick, Sep 3, 2004
  14. >Can you tell me a bit more about SQL Server Developer?

    it basically has all the features of the enterprise edition.

    see the product documentation on the ms web site for more info.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 3, 2004
  15. >I looked up SQL Server Developer and it says that it's not compatible with
    >Windows XP

    complete rubbish.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 3, 2004
  16. Rick

    Hermit Dave Guest

    The compatibility message is shown because SQL 2000 with sp3 is the only
    supported one.
    but the sql installation doesnt have any of them slipstreamed.

    so ignore the message.. isntall it and then apply sp3

    --

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave
    (http://hdave.blogspot.com)

    Hermit Dave, Sep 3, 2004
  17. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks again for the info. I now have my MSDE working and this is doing the
    job for me. If I want more bells and wistles I'll go for the SQL Server
    Developer. Ciao Ciao for now.

    Rick

    Rick, Sep 5, 2004