    to design and architect applications . I have no problems working on .NET ,
    but i feel i need to be a little more advanced .Will a certification help me
    , if so which one should i take MCSD or MCPD.

    =?Utf-8?B?aHNrbQ==?=, Feb 9, 2006

  2. As with most of these course the certification is bound to give you a good
    grounding in the basics. From an architects point of you it will at least
    give you a good introduction to each feature contained in the .net framework.
    However from personal experiece nothings beats good hands on commercial
    experience. But to answer your question specifically. I've been using the
    ..net framework for 3 years now and was about to sit the MCSD as I am already
    very familiar with most of the content. Now I read there are new exams coming
    out I have decided to wait until these are introduced, the main reason being
    that I want a certifcate that shows my proficiency in the new version of the
    ..net framework (c#/ASP.Net 2.0).

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFRhbGlhZG9yb3M=?=, Mar 1, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?aHNrbQ==?=

    yogaguy74 Guest

    OK, first a little of my background, I have been MCSD.NET for a little
    over two years, had worked with .NET pre-Beta on and off and also have
    Java certs. Additionally, I am planning on taking 70-553 and 70-554
    (trying to get into the beta exams cause the release version isn't
    available until May).

    Now on to my 2cents. While I believe certifications have their merits
    I believe that the MCAD/MCSD.NET exams (at least) are not difficult at
    all and most people with a decent understanding of .NET would pass all
    the core exams and then depending on the elective (I took the SQL
    Server elective first which was the only somewhat difficult exam, then
    took the beta of the Security for .NET elective, only because it was
    free and I wanted to check it out, which was just a recap of questions
    from the core exams and a couple new questions) you could have a float
    through in the exams. Certifications don't really test how good of a
    programmer you are (especially since there are so many practice exams
    out there that are identical to the actual exams) just how well you
    study for a multiple choice (for the most part) test. I'll post more
    once I've taken the MCPD on those exams. As far as MCSD vs MCPD, it
    depends on what you plan on doing... If you're never going to have to
    prove you're proficient at 1.x then just go with the MCPD otherwise it
    can't hurt to do your MCSD then take the two additional upgrade exams
    (553 and 554) to get your MCPD as well. There are no practice exams
    out there for the MCPD exams (Transcender says they are going to have
    them in April 06) so that removes the slam dunk factor from the MCPD.
    There are a million practice exams/brain dumps for the MCSD out there
    already. So that may be another factor. The one place that I have
    really found the certs to be useful is when trying to get a job with a
    company that wants to get their MS partner status since this is one of
    the deciding factors.

    The MS Certs have their merit but I wouldn't too much weight on them.
    One of my former coworkers who was a VB 6 developer and was kind of in
    a project management/developer limbo (he didn't really do any developer
    work but was classified as a developer) took all the MCSD.NET exams and
    passed without ever actually being a developer on a .NET project. Just
    using brain dumps. He didn't really absorb all the material and have
    all the pieces fit together like someone who has been using the
    technology would have but he passed with flying colors.

    --
    yogaguy74

    yogaguy74, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Hi Yoga,

    Could you keep us updated and let us know when practise questions for the
    New Microsft exams are released.

    Thanks

    Jim

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFRhbGlhZG9yb3M=?=, Mar 3, 2006