    can pass the exams?? and how hard it is to pass???

    Cheers,

    Rody

    Rody, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Rody

    Kofi Nimoh Guest

    Rody,

    > I would like to know if someone with little experience
    > can pass the exams?? and how hard it is to pass???

    Anyone with little experience can pass the examinations seeing as the syllabus (examination requirements) are fixed and all five examinations are based on multiple choice questions rather than programming tasks or essays. (Shakespeare: "All knowledge is but rememberance").

    > I do not have much experience in programming and I am
    > about to start my MCSD.NET certification course. The
    > training provider says that they guarantee the pass.

    Looks like you are about to embark on one of those $2-$3K guaranteed pass training courses right? If you have not paid for it already then DON'T. Forget it. Kaput. Ende. Aus. Stalingrad.

    Those people just take your watch off and tell you the time. Certification is good, but if you want to be a real programmer and get a job in programming the best way is to teach yourself. Here's what you do:

    1. Spend your couple-of-grand wisely. Buy a PC if you don't already have one, the five MS Press official study guides for MCSD.NET and a couple of primers on programming .NET in the language of your choice.

    2. Start using your free time to learn programming using your primer(s) first on your computer (you should have several evaluation copies of .NET if you buy MSPress study guides).

    3. Start visiting geek sites to download other people's code, read the articles and see how people are writing software, sites like codeproject.com, gotdotnet.com and sourceforge.net are good for this.

    4. Use MSDN for more up to date learning and techy material - visit this site here: www.codeclinic.com for links to up-to-date material in MSDN for the MCSD.NET. (It is also a good site to motivate you a bit, that guy has certifications coming out of his eye-balls).

    5. Use the official study-guides to study for the exams and register for them yourself at www.2test.com - get used to this (certification should not be seen as a "one-off" thing. It is on-going throughout your career).

    6. Only purchase practice test software if you need to boost your confidence a bit. To be honest I have never used them and I have a strong bias against them so it's a matter of personal preference.

    Just for the record, self-study is the most popular means of achieving certification - go to the various certification sites and look at their surveys if you won't take my word for it.

    If you spend a lot of time studying yourself it is a lot more sustainable, and if you spend a lot of your time geeking in the developer community sites you will learn much more about programming, technology, the people, and importantly - the culture. You will be employable.
    On the other hand if you go do some boot camp with little experience, you will just be a "paper MCSD.NET" - most hiring managers will smell you from a mile away!

    Finally, (just to lend my advice some credence), I am an MCSD.NET having also covered both the C# and VB.NET tracks. I have also been an MCSD in VS6.0 and hold other Microsoft and non-Microsoft certifications.

    Good Luck!

    Kofi Nimoh, Jun 9, 2004