    Now the question - does it make any sense at all to persue .NET
    certification? If yes, should I continue with .NET 1.1/MCSD path, or take
    this new MCPD exams?

    rincewind, Sep 8, 2006

  2. "rincewind" <> wrote

    > Now the question - does it make any sense at all to persue .NET
    > certification? If yes, should I continue with .NET 1.1/MCSD path, or take
    > this new MCPD exams?

    Well, you're asking "Is it worth it?" on a group dedicated to these very
    certifications, so your answers are probably going to be a bit skewed.

    With that said, I do think the certs are worth it - especially if the money
    isn't coming out of your own pocket. I don't know how much they really help
    in terms of getting jobs, but I do think they help with:

    1 - They force you to learn a new technology in a structured way. People
    tend to always have a "I'm too busy to do this because..." and seldom have
    the disciplin to follow through with learning something new on their own.

    2 - It guarantees you a very strong overview of the .Net framework. You'll
    see areas during your certifications that you would normally never see in
    the normal course of your day. This may include MSMQ / Remoting / ASP.Net /
    Windows Forms / Services / Code Access Security / Enterprise Services, or
    some other random collection of technologies. Without at least having seen
    these, it's hard to know they're there. Everything looks like a nail, and
    all that...

    3 - The certs do help in some cases with getting an interview, or meeting a
    requirement.

    4 - You get to add new lines to your signature files :)

    --
    Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
    http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

    Chris Mullins, Sep 8, 2006

  3. Sept. 8, 2006

    I agree with Chris.... .net certs are definitely worth it, and I believe
    particularly in your case.... where although being a Senior dev in C or
    other unmanaged languages, it probably isn't going to help you one ounce
    getting a job in .Net because they just are soooo different.

    And because it is on someone else's dime (which is aways extremely
    helpful!), I don't have a single reason why you shouldn't.

    And although the cert won't get you the job, it definitely will help you
    prove you are worthwhile to interview especially after making a big change
    like going to .Net (most people are like countries fighting........ managed
    vs. unmanaged code with no mercy or compromise)

    Hope this helps and good luck!
    --
    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Web Site/Blog: http://CactiDevelopers.ResDev.Net/

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Sep 9, 2006
  4. rincewind

    jziegler

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    MCPD certs are in demand. I am actively looking to hire some for our Web development firm in Minneapolis for two reasons: I know they immediatly have skills to be a consultant for us AND they help us fulfill our partner requirement with Microsoft. In fact I found this board looking for MCPD's.

    Jeremy Ziegler
    http://www.awareweb.com/Bios.aspx

    jziegler, Sep 11, 2006
  5. rincewind

    Guest

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD wrote:
    > Sept. 8, 2006
    >
    > I agree with Chris.... .net certs are definitely worth it, and I believe
    > particularly in your case.... where although being a Senior dev in C or
    > other unmanaged languages, it probably isn't going to help you one ounce
    > getting a job in .Net because they just are soooo different.
    >
    > And because it is on someone else's dime (which is aways extremely
    > helpful!), I don't have a single reason why you shouldn't.
    >
    > And although the cert won't get you the job, it definitely will help you
    > prove you are worthwhile to interview especially after making a big change
    > like going to .Net (most people are like countries fighting........ managed
    > vs. unmanaged code with no mercy or compromise)
    >
    > Hope this helps and good luck!
    > --
    > Joseph Bittman
    > Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
    > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM
    >
    > Web Site/Blog: http://CactiDevelopers.ResDev.Net/
    >
    > "Chris Mullins" <> wrote in message
    > > "rincewind" <> wrote
    > >
    > >> Now the question - does it make any sense at all to persue .NET
    > >> certification? If yes, should I continue with .NET 1.1/MCSD path, or take
    > >> this new MCPD exams?

    > > Well, you're asking "Is it worth it?" on a group dedicated to these very
    > > certifications, so your answers are probably going to be a bit skewed.
    > >
    > > With that said, I do think the certs are worth it - especially if the
    > > money isn't coming out of your own pocket. I don't know how much they
    > > really help in terms of getting jobs, but I do think they help with:
    > >
    > > 1 - They force you to learn a new technology in a structured way. People
    > > tend to always have a "I'm too busy to do this because..." and seldom have
    > > the disciplin to follow through with learning something new on their own.
    > >
    > > 2 - It guarantees you a very strong overview of the .Net framework. You'll
    > > see areas during your certifications that you would normally never see in
    > > the normal course of your day. This may include MSMQ / Remoting / ASP.Net
    > > / Windows Forms / Services / Code Access Security / Enterprise Services,
    > > or some other random collection of technologies. Without at least having
    > > seen these, it's hard to know they're there. Everything looks like a nail,
    > > and all that...
    > >
    > > 3 - The certs do help in some cases with getting an interview, or meeting
    > > a requirement.
    > >
    > > 4 - You get to add new lines to your signature files :)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
    > > http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

    , Sep 25, 2006
  6. rincewind

    Guest

    I have 1.5 years of experience in C#.NET and ASP.NET , I would like to
    do the certification in .net. Should I go for MCAD or MCP. whats the
    difference ? I am bit confused. Please advise me.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Radhiga.

    , Sep 25, 2006
  7. rincewind

    Cerebrus Guest

    Answers here : <http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/>

    Cerebrus, Sep 25, 2006
  8. rincewind

    Kev Guest

    -------

    >"Chris Mullins" <> wrote in
    > Well, you're asking "Is it worth it?" on a group dedicated to these
    > very certifications, so your answers are probably going to be a bit
    > skewed.
    >
    > With that said, I do think the certs are worth it - especially if the
    > money isn't coming out of your own pocket. I don't know how much they
    > really help in terms of getting jobs, but I do think they help with:
    >
    > 1 - They force you to learn a new technology in a structured way.
    > People tend to always have a "I'm too busy to do this because..." and
    > seldom have the disciplin to follow through with learning something
    > new on their own.
    >
    > 2 - It guarantees you a very strong overview of the .Net framework.
    > You'll see areas during your certifications that you would normally
    > never see in the normal course of your day. This may include MSMQ /
    > Remoting / ASP.Net / Windows Forms / Services / Code Access Security /
    > Enterprise Services, or some other random collection of technologies.
    > Without at least having seen these, it's hard to know they're there.
    > Everything looks like a nail, and all that...
    >
    > 3 - The certs do help in some cases with getting an interview, or
    > meeting a requirement.
    >
    > 4 - You get to add new lines to your signature files :)
    >
    > --
    > Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
    > http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

    I'd agree with all of this. I've been a developer for 8 years now (6
    c++/mfc, 2 .Net) and through doing the certifications I've forced myself
    to look at area's of .Net that I didn't even know existed.
    Also since you actually have something to show for your studying it does
    feel satisfying as you feel you have some sort of proof that you put in
    the work.

    The transistion from c++ to .Net shouldn't be that hard for you, you
    will probably find .Net a lot easier actually as its a managed
    environment and the intellisense is so much better.

    Overall I'd say the certification process has been an enjoyable one for
    me and I'm finding it rewarding.
    I should get my MCTS Web Client Developer tomorrow only leaving 70-549
    left in my path to MCPD:EA

    --
    Kev

    MCTS: Windows Developer
    MCTS: Distributed Applications Developer

    Kev, Nov 2, 2006