MCSD MCAD Exams + Training

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Tushar, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Tushar

    Tushar Guest

    I would like to obtain certification and only trying to
    get the details right, please help.

    I am a software developer with over 8 years
    experience, I have programmed in Fortran-77,
    Pascal, Quick Basic, Visual Basic 4/5/6,
    C++ MFC, Java, C# and ASP.Net. I also
    have some SQL-Server/T-SQL experience as
    well as XML/XSD/XSLT/etc.

    Currently I have been reading ...
    Microsoft ADO .NET (Core Reference)
    by D. Sceppa, ISBN 0735614237

    I have been using VisualSudio.Net for 2 years (on an on-off basis).

    I prefer C# over VB.Net.

    ---

    MCAD requires 2 exams plus 1 elective. The first two can be ...
    70-315 ASP.Net with C#
    70-316 Windows Apps with C#
    70-320 Web Services with C#

    and for the elective I can choose
    70-229 SQL Server 2000

    ---

    MCSD rquires 4 exams plus 1 elective. The first four can be ...
    70-315 ASP.Net with C#
    70-316 Windows Apps with C#
    70-320 Web Services with C#

    and for the elective I can choose
    70-229 SQL Server 2000

    ---

    I therefore conclude that:

    1) The exams are the same in both cases but by doing 2
    more exams I become MCSD.

    2) If I were to do these exams in the right order I could
    achive both qualifications, one after the next?

    Are the two statements correct?

    ---

    For training I am thinking of using
    Self-Pased Training Kit (red-books) ISBN: 0735619255
    and SQL Server 2000 Database Design and Implementation
    ISBN: 0735619603

    as well as one of ...

    http://www.transcender.com/
    http://www.testking.com/
    http://www.measureup.com/

    which one of the above is recommended?

    Is that all I all require? I am paying for these myself and I would like to
    buy the right stuff first time round.

    ---

    I remember that previously Microsoft Certification
    required WOSA (Windows System Architecture)
    before any of the other programming languages. Is
    that no longer the case?

    MCAD leads to MCSD. What does MCSD lead to?

    How long are the certifications valid for? Should I
    worry about SQL Server 2003/etc? How long
    will these exams be available for? It is possible
    that after purchasing the training materials Microsoft
    would repalce the exams with new ones?

    ---

    Please help.

    Tushar, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Tushar

    comp sci kid Guest

    i am working towards my mcad. my focus is asp.net and c#. i passed both
    70-315 and 70-320 on the first attempt. i am now preparing for 70-229 and i
    will be an mcad once i pass it.

    70-315, 70-320 and 70-229 can all also be applied towards the mcsd.net.
    passing 2 more applicable exams would qualify one as an mcsd.net.

    i used transcender and self test software to prepare for 70-315 and 70-320.
    i found self test software to be more helpful than transcender. i've never
    used measureup or testking.

    i bought the M$ self study books for 70-315 and 70-320. both books were of
    little help in preparing me for these exams.

    bear in mind that the final version of visual studio 2005 won't be released
    until mid 2005 (at the earliest). thus, i don't expect any .net
    certification exams based on vs 2005 until at least 2006 (if at all). the
    final version of sql server 2005 also won't be released until mid 2005 (at
    the earliest). thus, i don't expect any certification exams based on sql
    server 2005 until at least 2006 (if at all). in short, i expect the current
    crop of mcad and mcsd.net exams to be valid for at least 2 more years.

    comp sci kid, Nov 16, 2004