MCSD bootcamp

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Ute, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Ute

    Ute Guest

    Hi all,

    I have over 15 years experience in software development,
    including several years of Visual Studio ASP. I lost my
    job in October 2003 and have found it very difficult to
    find a new job.

    It seem that everyone is looking for .Net experience these
    days and I don't have it. So I have been thinking about
    getting an MCSD or MCAD certification in .NET with a
    concentration on C#.

    I have been checking the web and there seem to be all
    kinds of training classes around, some on-line, some with
    instructors, some include exams on-site, some don't. Well
    you know how many there are, I am sure.

    Anyway, here is my question:

    I think I would do best in a class setting, so I am
    looking for a boot camp type class. I really don't care
    where, but Denver, CO or Tampa, FL or San Jose, CA are on
    the top of the list. Can anyone here recommend a school in
    those cities or anywhere else?

    If you don't think these training courses are worth
    anything, please say so and explain why you think so.

    Thanks

    Ute

    Ute, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Hi Ute!

    I don't know if it's too late to reply to your post . . . but here are my
    thoughts.

    The quality of training programs varies greatly but I'm sure there are ones
    out there that are good. I followed the self-study route myself - - but I
    wasn't out of work - - that puts a lot more time pressure on you.

    My only comment is that many people have paid a lot of money for various
    training courses that unfortunately did not lead to a job. The situation is
    especially cruel when it's someone who had extended unemployment and for whom
    money is tight. I have never come across a company that would accept
    training or a certification in lieu of experience. It stinks, and it's
    extremely short-sighted, but that's the way a lot of employers work.

    So my caution to you is be very careful with your money. Even if the
    training program is great, it may not help your employement situation AT ALL.
    So be sure you can afford to risk the money this boot camp will cost you.

    Best of Luck.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZW1n?=, Feb 24, 2005