MCSD boot camp?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Chris, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Chris

    Matt Guest

    Yup, I'm taking it right now in Virginia-- just completed
    316 on Wed and 315 tonight, Web Services on Sunday.

    The lectures are a firehose to the face of the Microsoft
    self-paced learning books plus the instructor's
    knowledge. You'll be slammed with the reader's digest
    version of the books and up until the wee hours with self
    tests. It's lecture and self test heavy with some demos
    sprinkled in, light on labs-- the focus definitely on
    getting the cert although when you pull your head out of
    the books you realize how much you really know.

    My instructor is excellent-- he teaches! and is very
    experienced on giving this class and knows what you need
    to know to pass the tests but also makes sure that you're
    learning things that are important but not on the test.

    Advice:
    1) Make sure you've got some real-world development
    experience-- non-developers are going to stuggle.
    2) Get up to speed on ADO.NET inside and out before you
    get there (I didn't but I wish I had).
    3) Show up rested on day 1!
    4) Wait for deep discounts on the price or negotiate it
    down. I got $5600 for the 14 day MCSD.
    5) Make sure you plan to stay at the hotel or on site.
    You will have no time for anything else except for test
    days- you'll the evening off.

    Matt, Aug 28, 2004

  3. spam
    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:39:29 -0700, "Matt"
    <> wrote:

    >Yup, I'm taking it right now in Virginia-- just completed
    >316 on Wed and 315 tonight, Web Services on Sunday.
    >
    >The lectures are a firehose to the face of the Microsoft
    >self-paced learning books plus the instructor's
    >knowledge. You'll be slammed with the reader's digest
    >version of the books and up until the wee hours with self
    >tests. It's lecture and self test heavy with some demos
    >sprinkled in, light on labs-- the focus definitely on
    >getting the cert although when you pull your head out of
    >the books you realize how much you really know.
    >
    >My instructor is excellent-- he teaches! and is very
    >experienced on giving this class and knows what you need
    >to know to pass the tests but also makes sure that you're
    >learning things that are important but not on the test.
    >
    >Advice:
    >1) Make sure you've got some real-world development
    >experience-- non-developers are going to stuggle.
    >2) Get up to speed on ADO.NET inside and out before you
    >get there (I didn't but I wish I had).
    >3) Show up rested on day 1!
    >4) Wait for deep discounts on the price or negotiate it
    >down. I got $5600 for the 14 day MCSD.
    >5) Make sure you plan to stay at the hotel or on site.
    >You will have no time for anything else except for test
    >days- you'll the evening off.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 28, 2004
  4. more than likely spam
    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:45:03 -0700, mac
    <> wrote:

    >Yah, I went there.. I did it mainly because it was a 2 week deal, and with
    >work etc.. there is no way I could have done it that quickly on my own. It
    >is expensive, so it really depends on what your looking for. You can do it
    >on your own far cheaper. For my situation, time was a factor which is why I
    >went the training camp route.
    >
    >As far as their program goes, its pretty nice. I don't know about their
    >other locations, but the one in Bushkill PA is very nice. They have some
    >deal worked out with a resort up there, so you get your own private villa
    >which is like an efficiency as opposed to a hotel room. (stove, microwave,
    >small fridge, couch, etc..) They provide everything, books (you keep),
    >computer labs, etc.. All testing is done on site, and your tests are
    >included. (keep in mind, if you fail a test, you have to pay for the
    >makeup.) Breakfest and lunch are taken care of by restraunts at the resort,
    >and in the building where you have class/tests, they have a kitchen stocked
    >with junk food, soft drinks, coffee, etc..
    >
    >My only recommendation is that you are very comfortable with .Net before
    >going in. People who were new to .Net didn't do very well. You have at most
    >2 days between exams, so if you don't have a good frame of reference coming
    >in, it becomes very difficult to keep up.
    >
    >Otherwise, if you need to get it done fast, training camp certainly is an
    >excellent option. They take care of everything minus dinners. All you have
    >to do is study and take tests. Just be prepared for 12 - 13 hour days except
    >on days you take a tests. (depending on how early you take your tests, you
    >get a little breather).
    >
    >good luck
    >
    >"Chris" wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have any feedback on www.thetrainingcamp.com 14-
    >> day MCSD boot camp?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 28, 2004
  5. >Anyone have any feedback on www.thetrainingcamp.com 14-
    >day MCSD boot camp?

    spam

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Chris

    Pollux Guest

    In article <112e01c48ca8$3dba9950$>,
    says...
    <SNIP>
    > 4) Wait for deep discounts on the price or negotiate it
    > down. I got $5600 for the 14 day MCSD.

    <SNIP>

    And you still overpaid.

    Pollux, Aug 28, 2004