    and go to the core exams. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Judy
    Judy, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Hi Judy,

    There really isn't a "best practice" - you can take the exams in any order
    and over any time span. You might start with the subject area you're most
    familiar with.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Judy

    Danut P. Guest

    I would suggest do 70-229 first because you will need to
    know SQL anyway.

    The you do the Windows or Web apps, depending on your
    experience

    After that you do Web Services exam.

    At the end the Architecture one.

    The .NET exams have lots in common: try first to
    understand what .NET Framework is, ADO.NET, learn about
    security and delployment. Then you study for each exam's
    specifics.

    >Thanks,
    >Judy

    Danut
    MCSD.NET Early Achiever
    MCAD Charter Member
    MCDBA
    SCJP
    MCSD VC6
    MCP
    Danut P., Nov 4, 2004
  4. After architecture one, MCSD expires.Then start MCSD.NET 2005.
    After MCSD.NET 2005 expires, start MCSD.NET 2006...
    Then you have
    MCSD.NET
    MCSD.NET 2005
    MCSD.NET 2006 ...

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNTRC5ORVQgMjAyMA==?=, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Judy

    Danut P. Guest

    Yea, if you spend 1 year for each exam then I guess you
    are right.

    IMHO the main benefit of studying for a certification is
    that you learn how to better do your job. That assuming
    you do not use brain dumps and you really study.

    In my case it did not only help me learn .NET and SQL but
    also in the end contributed to my promotion and a good
    salary raise.

    Danut P.
    Sr. Software Engineer

    Danut P., Nov 4, 2004
  6. Judy

    Tod Birdsall Guest

    Hi Judy,

    In my case, I started with the subject that interested me most and that
    I knew relatively little about, .Net Solution Architect. I like to
    learn new things, so it gave me an insentive to study. I don't know
    that I would recommend starting with that exam though. Now I am stuck
    having to take all five exams before I get either my MCAD or MCSD.
    Tod Birdsall, MCP
    http://tod1d.blogspot.com
    Tod Birdsall, Nov 6, 2004
  7. Hi Tod,

    I'm confused. I thought 70-300, "Analyzing Requirements and Defining
    Microsoft .NET Solution Architectures" was one of the required exams for
    MCSD. Are you talking about some other exam?

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Nov 6, 2004
  8. Judy

    Schfooge Guest

    "Cindy Winegarden" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Tod,
    >
    > I'm confused. I thought 70-300, "Analyzing Requirements and Defining
    > Microsoft .NET Solution Architectures" was one of the required exams for
    > MCSD. Are you talking about some other exam?

    I think he means that since he has already taken 70-300, to get his MCAD, he
    will have taken all the required exams plus 70-300. I think he is under the
    impression that the four exams are required for MCAD, and that you take
    70-300 to go from MCAD to MCSD.

    I can understand where this confusion comes from, because I have seen this
    misconception before. I even have an Osborne MCAD/MCSD that says this. It
    made the mistake in saying you needed a Windows Apps AND a Web Apps exam
    instead of saying you need one OR the other for MCAD.
    Schfooge, Nov 6, 2004
  9. Judy

    UAError Guest

    "Schfooge" <> wrote:

    >"Cindy Winegarden" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Tod,
    >>
    >> I'm confused. I thought 70-300, "Analyzing Requirements and Defining
    >> Microsoft .NET Solution Architectures" was one of the required exams for
    >> MCSD. Are you talking about some other exam?
    >>

    >I think he means that since he has already taken 70-300, to get his MCAD, he
    >will have taken all the required exams plus 70-300. I think he is under the
    >impression that the four exams are required for MCAD, and that you take
    >70-300 to go from MCAD to MCSD.
    >
    >I can understand where this confusion comes from, because I have seen this
    >misconception before. I even have an Osborne MCAD/MCSD that says this. It
    >made the mistake in saying you needed a Windows Apps AND a Web Apps exam
    >instead of saying you need one OR the other for MCAD.

    Actually he maneuvered himself into this position by

    a. taking 70-300 first
    b. taking 70-320 last

    70-300 does not contribute to the MCAD credential, meanwhile
    70-310/70-320 is mandatory for the MCAD (no substutitions
    allowed). Hence he will obtain the MCAD and MCSD.NET
    credentials at the same time. By simply swapping his last
    two choices (70-229 and 70-320) he could achieved his MCAD
    earlier.
    UAError, Nov 6, 2004
  10. Judy

    Schfooge Guest

    "UAError" <> wrote in message
    > "Schfooge" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Cindy Winegarden" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Tod,
    >>>
    >>> I'm confused. I thought 70-300, "Analyzing Requirements and Defining
    >>> Microsoft .NET Solution Architectures" was one of the required exams for
    >>> MCSD. Are you talking about some other exam?
    >>>

    >>I think he means that since he has already taken 70-300, to get his MCAD,
    >>he
    >>will have taken all the required exams plus 70-300. I think he is under
    >>the
    >>impression that the four exams are required for MCAD, and that you take
    >>70-300 to go from MCAD to MCSD.
    >>
    >>I can understand where this confusion comes from, because I have seen this
    >>misconception before. I even have an Osborne MCAD/MCSD that says this. It
    >>made the mistake in saying you needed a Windows Apps AND a Web Apps exam
    >>instead of saying you need one OR the other for MCAD.
    >>

    > Actually he maneuvered himself into this position by
    >
    > a. taking 70-300 first
    > b. taking 70-320 last
    >
    > 70-300 does not contribute to the MCAD credential, meanwhile
    > 70-310/70-320 is mandatory for the MCAD (no substutitions
    > allowed). Hence he will obtain the MCAD and MCSD.NET
    > credentials at the same time. By simply swapping his last
    > two choices (70-229 and 70-320) he could achieved his MCAD
    > earlier.0

    Actaully, he should still be able to get his MCAD first.
    I took a peek at his blog, and his order is:

    1. 70-300 (already taken)
    2. 70-315
    3. 70-316
    4. 70-229
    5. 70-320

    Seeing as he only needs one of 70-315 & 70-316 for MCAD, he can leave one of
    these to the end and get his MCAD after his fourth exam, and get his MCSD
    when he writes the fifth. MCSD only requires 3 exams altogether, so there
    is no way to get yourself painted into a corner where you have to take 4
    more exams to get your MCAD.

    You are right in saying that if he continues to leave an exam he has to take
    for both as his last exam (ie. 70-320 or 310), then he won't get either
    cert until after the fifth exam. However, it seems to me that he is still
    able to change the order of his exams to get the MCAD after 4 - unless he
    has already written 1-4 and 70-320 is the only one he has left.
    Schfooge, Nov 7, 2004
  11. Judy

    UAError Guest

    "Schfooge" <> wrote:

    >Seeing as he only needs one of 70-315 & 70-316 for MCAD, he can leave one of
    >these to the end and get his MCAD after his fourth exam, and get his MCSD
    >when he writes the fifth. MCSD only requires 3 exams altogether, so there
    >is no way to get yourself painted into a corner where you have to take 4
    >more exams to get your MCAD.
    >
    >You are right in saying that if he continues to leave an exam he has to take
    >for both as his last exam (ie. 70-320 or 310), then he won't get either
    >cert until after the fifth exam. However, it seems to me that he is still
    >able to change the order of his exams to get the MCAD after 4 - unless he
    >has already written 1-4 and 70-320 is the only one he has left.

    If you look at his blog you'll see that already completed
    70-300, 70-315, and 70-316. Furthermore he stated that the
    order that he listed the exams was also the order that he
    "expects" to take the exams. He completed the first three
    exams in about 3 months (not including preparation for the
    first exam). Its been three months since his last exam. On
    that I based the assumption that he probably has progressed
    too far into his 70-229 preparation to want to switch to
    70-320 - so that in fact he is committed to taking 70-229 as
    no.4 and 70-320 as no.5.
    UAError, Nov 7, 2004
  12. Judy

    Tod Birdsall Guest

    Hi,

    I am about 3/4 through studying for 70-229. Based on what I had read, I
    had assumed that I had painted myself into a corner. No difference, I
    planned on taking all five.

    I started to read the Exam Cram for 70-320, but I practically fell
    asleep. :)
    I don't normally use XML, but I use SQL on a daily basis, so that is
    what made me to decide to take the 70-229 first.

    I saved both of these exams for last becaus two of the people I know
    who took their exams thought these were the hardest. So far, I feel
    pretty comfortable with taking the 70-229.
    Tod Birdsall, MCP
    http://tod1d.blogspot.com
    Tod Birdsall, Nov 8, 2004
  13. Dear Judy,

    Start of with web apps (70-305/315) or win apps (70-306/316), depending on
    your background and then do the other. After that do Webservices Server
    Components (70-310/320). Now you're done with .NET programming, choose your
    electif being SQL, BizTalk Server or the new Security exam. Make sure to do
    Analyzing Requirements (70-300) last, since this requires most experience.

    HTH,

    Pieter de Bruin
    Avanade Netherlands
    MCSD.NET

    =?Utf-8?B?UGlldGVyIGRlIEJydWlu?=, Nov 10, 2004
  14. Judy

    Daniel P. Guest

    70-320 seemed to me one of the easiest exam.
    70-229 is hard indeed but one of the exams I enjoyed studying.

    Daniel P., Nov 22, 2004