    Does the MCSD help or is it mainly for people just breaking into the
    industry?

    Thanks!

    Blarneystone, May 23, 2007

  2. Blarneystone

    Cerebrus Guest

    On May 23, 7:30 pm, Blarneystone <> wrote:
    > Hi, I was wondering how many of you saw a significant improvement in
    > your career opportunities when you got your MCSD?
    >
    > I am a decent coder with some pro apps under my belt but am looking to
    > expand my options.
    >
    > Does the MCSD help or is it mainly for people just breaking into the
    > industry?
    >
    > Thanks!

    The MCSD should be seen as a validation of your skills and experience
    in the technologies it covers. It should not be treated as a ticket to
    entry into the IT field. People who gain certifications for misguided
    reasons often feel disillusioned later on.

    An MCSD credential alone may not make your career, but it definitely
    has the potential to give you an edge over other non-certified
    candidates in an interview. Of course, your technical skills and
    relevant experience would be a higher priority on any employer's list.

    Cerebrus, May 24, 2007

  3. "Blarneystone" <> wrote:
    > Does the MCSD help or is it mainly for people just breaking into the
    > industry?

    In my experiences as a consultant, having the various certs (MCAD, MCSD,
    etc), helps get your resume through an HR person who is just scanning for
    keywords.

    At the end of the day, this means you 1) Qualify for a few more jobs (some
    consulting gigs have this as a requirement) and 2) Get a few more
    interviews.

    --
    Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, Microsoft C# MVP
    http://www.coversant.com/blogs/cmullins

    Chris Mullins [MVP], May 24, 2007
  4. I was working as a Physics/Mathematics teacher and wanted a better life,
    better pay... So I began to study software development (Using VB.NET How to
    program by Deitel) in Nov 2004.
    When I wanted to gain employment in 2005 into the Software Industry, it was
    difficult. I sensed that a certification would help so I prepared for the web
    exam and got my MCP.
    I couldn't gain employment as a software developer immediately. I completed
    the MCAD by then I had started some PP. I also had a licensed Visual
    Studio.NET. Eventually when I got one, my salary was quite fat and I have
    been having steady job growth. My certificate is well accepted.
    Most employer demand for MCP certification before employing. Some employers
    are also very sceptical because of brain dumps.
    If you have the technology, the right skills, MCAD/MCSD would help prove
    your worth. I'm sure you would have steady growth as well as enjoy your
    career.
    --
    Okoronkwo Chinedu
    Crazy About Learning

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hpZ2J1YVVtdWVudQ==?=, Jul 27, 2007