MCSD?AD

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Henry, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    I'm still a bit unclear of the requirements needed for the
    certification. I'm clear on all the exams I need to pass,
    etc.

    What I'm still unclear is, do I NEED to purchase Visual
    C#/VB .NET or Visual Studio .NET software to prepare for
    the test? Or I don't even need to apply what I learned
    from reading the book?(Seems illogical)

    When I called the Microsoft people, the lady said that the
    self-paced training kit is all I need. However, from
    reading the responses here the Microsoft Press materials
    are just not up to standard and books by Amit Kalani is
    the best book to prepare the exams with.

    Any help here?

    Thanks,

    Henry
    Henry, Aug 23, 2004

  2. There is no requirement per se' to own Visual Studio .NET. However not having
    worked with the tool, you will have a difficult time passing the exams. I
    have been a professional developer for 10 years, although for the last 4 I
    have pretty much developed exclusively web applications. However before that
    time, I did ALOT of Windows development. While I didn't have much trouble
    with the web test because I use those skills every day, I failed the windows
    test the first time. I went back and developed a few small windows
    applications before taking the test a second time. And the second time I had
    much better results.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Henry

    Eric Guest

    Henry wrote:

    > I'm still a bit unclear of the requirements needed for the
    > certification. I'm clear on all the exams I need to pass,
    > etc.
    >
    > What I'm still unclear is, do I NEED to purchase Visual
    > C#/VB .NET or Visual Studio .NET software to prepare for
    > the test? Or I don't even need to apply what I learned
    > from reading the book?(Seems illogical)

    You might get by with the eval version...some "hands on" knowledge of
    Visual Studio is needed.

    > When I called the Microsoft people, the lady said that the
    > self-paced training kit is all I need. However, from
    > reading the responses here the Microsoft Press materials
    > are just not up to standard and books by Amit Kalani is
    > the best book to prepare the exams with.

    Do the exercises in Kalani's book and you'll learn a lot.
    Get the blue Training Guide - not the Exam Cram.

    Eric
    Eric, Aug 24, 2004