    Thank you
    --
    techx1

    Techx1, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Not sure why you would want to buy any computer second hand. Dell has some
    pretty cheap low-end servers in their poweredge line. If you have a spare
    monitor, keyboard, and mouse lying around it is even cheaper. Might as well
    buy new since the whole rig will cost under $500. Then when you are done
    using this to study for the MCSA cert you can install a client OS on it and
    have one more serviceable computer around the house.

    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    John Strohecker, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Techx1

    Ron Hogue Guest

    If you can find the Microsoft Official Curriculum for any of the intro
    classes (2274, 75, 76, 77) that were published in 2005, they SHOULD have a
    180-day trial version of the server software with a key. Microsoft no longer
    provides the software with the new versions of the books.

    If I wanted to just play around with Server 2003, I would try to find these
    books used. I imagine people have taken the classes and test and no longer
    need the book or cd and would gladly sell it to you.

    Ron Hogue

    Ron Hogue, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Hmm

    Haha ! You really don't need to buy a Box to become an M.C.S.A. It is
    required
    if you are apreaing for some exam like CCNA. Well but for CCNA you need router
    box not PC box. Use a 3rd generation technology called " Virtualisation" which
    will save your money investing to buy second hand server which is not
    required.
    And when you purchase server, you'll also need to buy license version of
    Microsoft® Windows® 2003 Server STD and Ent edition's. Is it going to be da
    worth? I dont think so. Just read Microsoft® press books, study Testking, and
    there you go. MCSA is not a big deal. Exams on Cisco platforms are much
    tough than Microsoft.

    Regards,
    --
    Amey Abhyankar.
    [ M.C.P. Since 2002 ; M.C.S.E. Windows 2000 ; M.C.S.A. Windows server

    Amey Abhyankar., Apr 11, 2006
  5. RE: Hmm

    Not sure that I agree with you on some points, but that's ok. Just bear in
    mind that the original poster specifically said that he wanted to buy a
    server to practice.

    As for what's more difficult the MCSA or CCNA stuff, it all depends on what
    you have experience on. If you deal with routers regularly then CCNA is
    likely easier, especially since it can be done with a single exam. If you
    have been a sysadmin for a AD domain for a while then MCSA might be more up
    your alley.

    The recommendation to use virtualisation isn't bad, but I would always
    prefer to set up a lab and do the stuff with actual boxes...just my
    preference. Besides, anybody hanging out on these newsgroups probably has a
    spare computer or two lying around anyway. Why not pull them together into a
    LAN and do this stuff for real?

    As for books and software, get yourself a copy of the MOCC for the 290 or
    291 exam and it comes with a trial version of server 2003 enterprise.

    Just my two cents.
    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    John Strohecker, Apr 12, 2006
  6. Techx1

    MitchS Guest

    Re: Hmm

    "Amey Abhyankar." <> wrote in message

    > Haha ! You really don't need to buy a Box to become an M.C.S.A. It is
    > required
    > if you are apreaing for some exam like CCNA. Well but for CCNA you need
    > router
    > box not PC box. Use a 3rd generation technology called " Virtualisation"
    > which
    > will save your money investing to buy second hand server which is not
    > required.
    > And when you purchase server, you'll also need to buy license version of
    > Microsoft® Windows® 2003 Server STD and Ent edition's. Is it going to be
    > da
    > worth? I dont think so. Just read Microsoft® press books, study Testking,
    > and
    > there you go. MCSA is not a big deal. Exams on Cisco platforms are much
    > tough than Microsoft.

    That has got to be some of the stupidest drivel I have ever seen spew forth
    from a self proclaimed MCSE. A few points:
    1. You don't need to buy a box but I myself preferred it to visualization
    2. If you buy a practice box, you don't have to buy software. You get a
    six month trial version with MS Press books
    3. Testkings?!?!?!? Are you that ignorant that you couldn't pass the test
    without cheating.
    4. Cisco tests aren't that different if you learn the product rather than
    memorize answers.

    --
    Mitch "hoping that duma$$ is a troll" S.

    MitchS, Apr 12, 2006
  7. Techx1

    CBIC Guest

    Re: Hmm

    > study Testking, and there you go.

    Assfvcker
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38

    CBIC, Apr 12, 2006
  8. Techx1

    TBone Guest

    Re: Hmm

    And on the eigth day <> did cause
    the electrons to come together and form the following words:

    > Just read Microsoft® press
    > books, study Testking, and there you go.

    Hey, you finally get the courage to come back to this group after being run
    out of it last year and you are still an ashfarker, aren't you?

    Come to think of it I had you plonked. What's the matter have to sign up
    again becuase MS pulled your account for endorsing piracy? Now you've
    stepped up to cheating, huh?

    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL