    Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?

    Thanks in advance,

    Darryl
    Darryl Smith, Feb 12, 2008

  2. Darryl Smith

    John R Guest

    "Darryl Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the
    > 70-292
    > Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
    >
    > Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
    > in
    > Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Darryl

    You'll only need 70-296 if you can get it in before the end of March 2008.
    Otherwise, you'll need both 70-293 and 70-294.

    John R
    John R, Feb 12, 2008

  3. Darryl Smith

    > Hi,
    >
    > I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the
    > 70-292
    > Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
    >
    > Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
    > in
    > Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Darryl

    The last post assumed you have MCSE 2000. If you do not, then you
    definitely need 70-293 and 70-294, plus a design elective such as 70-297 or
    70-298.

    See this link for additional info...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

    John R
    John R, Feb 12, 2008
  4. Darryl Smith

    Darryl Smith Guest

    OK ... I'm confused big-time now.

    I only have achieved the MCSA on Windows 2000.
    Keeping what you've said in mind, why does my Certification Planner only
    mention that I need Exams 292, 293 and 294 to obtain my MCSE in Windows 2003?
    There's no mention of a design unit.

    Darryl Smith, Feb 13, 2008
  5. Darryl Smith

    > OK ... I'm confused big-time now.
    >
    > I only have achieved the MCSA on Windows 2000.
    > Keeping what you've said in mind, why does my Certification Planner only
    > mention that I need Exams 292, 293 and 294 to obtain my MCSE in Windows
    > 2003?
    > There's no mention of a design unit.

    See this link...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/mcsa.mspx

    We agree on 293 and 294 which are core elements. Your MCSA on 2000 will
    satisfy the general elective for MCSE 2003. That leaves only the design
    elective.

    On the certification planner, it might not say 'design elective', it
    probably says 'core elective' or something like that, but an MCSA has not
    demonstrated design skills. If you look a little closer, I am sure you will
    see 297 and 298 (and maybe a few others) of which you must satisfy one.

    John R
    John R, Feb 13, 2008
  6. Darryl Smith

    John R Guest

    > "Darryl Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> OK ... I'm confused big-time now.
    >>
    >> I only have achieved the MCSA on Windows 2000.
    >> Keeping what you've said in mind, why does my Certification Planner only
    >> mention that I need Exams 292, 293 and 294 to obtain my MCSE in Windows
    >> 2003?
    >> There's no mention of a design unit.
    >>

    > See this link...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/mcsa.mspx
    >
    > We agree on 293 and 294 which are core elements. Your MCSA on 2000 will
    > satisfy the general elective for MCSE 2003. That leaves only the design
    > elective.
    >
    > On the certification planner, it might not say 'design elective', it
    > probably says 'core elective' or something like that, but an MCSA has not
    > demonstrated design skills. If you look a little closer, I am sure you
    > will see 297 and 298 (and maybe a few others) of which you must satisfy
    > one.
    >
    > John R

    Assuming, of course, that you get 292 to bring your MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003.
    John R, Feb 13, 2008
  7. Darryl Smith

    squareeyes Guest

    I was wondering if the 70-292 exam allowed the use of the calculator.
    I am so lame I want it for the subneting questions.

    By the way I have seen what a 200 MCSE needs to do to get 2008 equivalent
    and the way I look at it it's exams for the 2003 MCSE upgrade then 3 exams
    for the 2008 upgrade? That's 5 exams which I believe is what it takes to do
    the 2008 Pro qualification from scratch. I'm not sure which approach is best
    and even easier for me.

    thanks

    squareeyes, Feb 16, 2008
  8. Darryl Smith

    mark Guest

    hi
    if your hold the MCSE and MCSA certifications, exam 70-292 will upgrade your
    MCSA 2000 to the MCSA 2003 Certification. Exams 70-292 and 296 will upgrade
    your MCSE 2000 to the 2003 track. Be advised, exam 70-292 will only need to
    be taken once for both certifications. So yes, there is an upgrade for the
    MCSA Certification.

    mark, Feb 19, 2008
  9. I always recommend you go the Four Core Route.. Rather than the upgrades.

    There is an extremely LOW passing rate as far as the two upgrade exams go.
    I recommend.. In order.. 290, 293, 294, 291, 298

    TK [MCSE,MCT], Feb 20, 2008
  10. Darryl Smith

    Montreal MCT Guest

    There is a calculator in the exam workstation. You may not bring your own
    in.

    Mitch Garvis, MCT

    http://blog.mitchgarvis.com

    Montreal MCT, Feb 21, 2008
  11. MCSE Upgradation from Win2k to Win2k3

    I currently have my MCSE in Windows 2000. I wanted to complete MCSE Windows 2003, But i was was also thinking about upgrading my MCSE Win2k to MCSE Win2k3.

    Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE in
    Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?

    Thanks in Advance......

    DarrylSmit wrote:

    MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3
    11-Feb-08

    Hi

    I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the 70-292
    Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE

    Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE in
    Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible

    Thanks in advance

    Darryl

    On Monday, February 11, 2008 9:39 PM
    DarrylSmit wrote:

    MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3
    Hi

    I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the 70-292
    Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE

    Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE in
    Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible

    Thanks in advance

    Darryl

    On Monday, February 11, 2008 11:01 PM
    John R wrote:

    Re: MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3
    You'll only need 70-296 if you can get it in before the end of March 2008
    Otherwise, you will need both 70-293 and 70-294

    John R

    Re: MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3

    The last post assumed you have MCSE 2000. If you do not, then you
    definitely need 70-293 and 70-294, plus a design elective such as 70-297 or
    70-298

    See this link for additional info..
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.msp

    John R

    On Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:29 PM
    DarrylSmit wrote:

    OK ... I'm confused big-time now.I only have achieved the MCSA on Windows 2000.
    OK ... I'm confused big-time now

    I only have achieved the MCSA on Windows 2000.
    Keeping what you've said in mind, why does my Certification Planner only
    mention that I need Exams 292, 293 and 294 to obtain my MCSE in Windows 2003?
    There's no mention of a design unit

    "John R" wrote:

    Re: MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3

    See this link..
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/mcsa.msp

    We agree on 293 and 294 which are core elements. Your MCSA on 2000 will
    satisfy the general elective for MCSE 2003. That leaves only the design
    elective

    On the certification planner, it might not say 'design elective', it
    probably says 'core elective' or something like that, but an MCSA has not
    demonstrated design skills. If you look a little closer, I am sure you will
    see 297 and 298 (and maybe a few others) of which you must satisfy one

    John R

    On Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:59 PM
    John R wrote:

    Re: MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3
    Assuming, of course, that you get 292 to bring your MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003.

    On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:19 AM
    Rich G wrote:

    Re: MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3
    I would not worry too much about the MCSE until you pass 70-292. It i
    consider one of the most difficult exams to pass of them all.

    Good luck with it

    Rich G

    On Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:24 PM
    squareeye wrote:

    I was wondering if the 70-292 exam allowed the use of the calculator.
    I was wondering if the 70-292 exam allowed the use of the calculator
    I am so lame I want it for the subneting questions

    By the way I have seen what a 200 MCSE needs to do to get 2008 equivalent
    and the way I look at it it's exams for the 2003 MCSE upgrade then 3 exams
    for the 2008 upgrade? That's 5 exams which I believe is what it takes to do
    the 2008 Pro qualification from scratch. I'm not sure which approach is best
    and even easier for me

    thank

    "Rich G" wrote:

    On Monday, February 18, 2008 10:10 PM
    mar wrote:

    hiif your hold the MCSE and MCSA certifications, exam 70-292 will upgrade your
    hi
    if your hold the MCSE and MCSA certifications, exam 70-292 will upgrade your
    MCSA 2000 to the MCSA 2003 Certification. Exams 70-292 and 296 will upgrade
    your MCSE 2000 to the 2003 track. Be advised, exam 70-292 will only need to
    be taken once for both certifications. So yes, there is an upgrade for the
    MCSA Certification.

    "Darryl Smith" wrote:

    On Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:07 PM
    TK [MCSE,MCT] wrote:

    I always recommend you go the Four Core Route.. Rather than the upgrades.
    I always recommend you go the Four Core Route.. Rather than the upgrades.

    There is an extremely LOW passing rate as far as the two upgrade exams go.
    I recommend.. In order.. 290, 293, 294, 291, 298

    On Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:49 PM
    Montreal MCT wrote:

    There is a calculator in the exam workstation. You may not bring your own in.
    There is a calculator in the exam workstation. You may not bring your own
    in.

    Mitch Garvis, MCT

    http://blog.mitchgarvis.com

    Global IT Talent Map
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...0-8751-b445a09adc0c/global-it-talent-map.aspx
    loganathan ganesan, Dec 17, 2009
  12. Re: MCSE Upgradation from Win2k to Win2k3

    "loganathan ganesan" wrote in message
    >I currently have my MCSE in Windows 2000. I wanted to complete MCSE Windows
    >2003, But i was was also thinking about upgrading my MCSE Win2k to MCSE
    >Win2k3.
    >
    > Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
    > in
    > Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?

    There are no options.

    Your client OS exam from the MCSE2000 will meet the requirements for the
    Client OS exam for MCSE2003.

    You probably have an elective credit already met by one of the exams you've
    taken.

    That leaves the four core server exams (290, 291, 293, 294) and the design
    exam (one of 297 or 298).

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Dec 17, 2009
  13. Darryl Smith

    John R Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "loganathan ganesan" wrote in message
    >>I currently have my MCSE in Windows 2000. I wanted to complete MCSE
    >>Windows 2003, But i was was also thinking about upgrading my MCSE Win2k to
    >>MCSE Win2k3.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
    >> in
    >> Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?

    > There are no options.
    >
    > Your client OS exam from the MCSE2000 will meet the requirements for the
    > Client OS exam for MCSE2003.
    >
    > You probably have an elective credit already met by one of the exams
    > you've taken.
    >
    > That leaves the four core server exams (290, 291, 293, 294) and the design
    > exam (one of 297 or 298).

    Even though the requirements page only lists 70-297 or 70-298 as acceptable
    for the design requirement, my cert planner still lists the retired design
    exams 70-219, 70-220, 70-221, and 70-226 as acceptable for the design
    requirement. If he has MCSE 2000, he probably has one of those, which would
    leave him only the 4 core requirements.

    John R.
    John R, Dec 18, 2009
  14. Re: MCSE Upgradation from Win2k to Win2k3

    >>> Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my
    >>> MCSE in Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?

    >> Your client OS exam from the MCSE2000 will meet the requirements for the
    >> Client OS exam for MCSE2003.
    >>
    >> You probably have an elective credit already met by one of the exams
    >> you've taken.
    >>
    >> That leaves the four core server exams (290, 291, 293, 294) and the
    >> design exam (one of 297 or 298).

    > Even though the requirements page only lists 70-297 or 70-298 as
    > acceptable for the design requirement, my cert planner still lists the
    > retired design exams 70-219, 70-220, 70-221, and 70-226 as acceptable for
    > the design requirement. If he has MCSE 2000, he probably has one of
    > those, which would leave him only the 4 core requirements.

    Interesting. Good Point. The Cert Requirements page doesn't list the Win2000
    design options -- never has, to my knowledge -- but if the Cert Planner
    shows them as acceptable then one should definitely plan that route.

    Which really isn't hard anyway, assuming one takes the design exam after the
    core exams. Merely taking the core exams will prove to be sufficient to have
    earned the certification if it is.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Dec 18, 2009