    move. Which is the best regarding employment prospects? Does one or the
    other catch the eye more on a resume?

    Mikoyan
    Mikoyan, Apr 15, 2009

  2. The MCSA is for older technologies (Windows 2000 and/or 2003), whereas the
    MCTS/MCITP is for the newer technologies (Vista and above).
    Once you earn an MCSA, you are an MCSA for life.
    Once you earn the MCTS/MCITP, you are one only as long as Microsoft supports
    the product you are certified under.
    As far as what is best, do a DICE or Monster search on jobs with the
    certification, and you will get your answer.
    --
    Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x8, MCSA, MOS x2, FLMI, ACS

    LarryWestMCSD, Apr 16, 2009

  3. "LarryWestMCSD" <LarryWest-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote in message
    > The MCSA is for older technologies (Windows 2000 and/or 2003), whereas the
    > MCTS/MCITP is for the newer technologies (Vista and above).
    > Once you earn an MCSA, you are an MCSA for life.
    > Once you earn the MCTS/MCITP, you are one only as long as Microsoft
    > supports
    > the product you are certified under.

    There's still some vacillation about the MCITP -- last I heard, there's no
    formal program in place for "recertification", and if the SQL2008 and
    (forthcoming) VS2010/.NET 4.0 products are any example, MS is actually going
    to just invent "all new" tracks for each new product.

    The MCTS is still slated to expire when the underlying product goes out of
    mainstream support -- but I still don't get whether the "Expiration" of the
    MCTS will functionally "expire" the MCITP on which it is based.

    > As far as what is best, do a DICE or Monster search on jobs with the
    > certification, and you will get your answer.

    But let's be practical here. "MCSA" and "MCSE" are terms that have become as
    generic as "kleenex" or "coke" (despite their respective trademark owners'
    best attempts to prevent that reality)...

    The question is not what "cert" that employers are asking for... really it's
    what PRODUCTS they need the job skills on. Don't overlook employers who are
    looking for "MSCE" candidates to work in a Windows Server 2008 environment,
    and definitely do not let that allow you to undervalue the MCITP: Server
    Administrator or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification.

    Now, to that point, I'd also be a bit cautious about employers looking for
    Win2008 administrators who are clueless about the correct certifications for
    that product -- just as I'd be cautious about employers looking for MCADs or
    MCSDs to help them develop some ASP.NET 2.0 websites or MCDBAs to deploy
    some SQL Server 2005/2008 databases. If they don't know the correct
    certifications to put in their job postings -- they're probably going to be
    challenged to properly evaluate the credentials and experience of any job
    applicants for those positions -- heck, it could be exactly why the job is
    'available' in the first place.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Apr 16, 2009
  4. Mikoyan

    Mikoyan Guest

    Hi Larry and Lawrence,

    Thanks for taking the time to advise me - it's appreciated guys!

    Mikoyan.

    Mikoyan, Apr 18, 2009
  5. Mikoyan

    John Carry Guest

    MCTS will be the right choice for you. For preparing the exam; you will get
    study material at http://www.beitcertified.com/go.asp?c=17&ac=47

    John Carry, May 7, 2009