MCSA self-study

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Lee, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi.

    I am looking at going for MCSA by using the self-study
    material (cannot afford a course).

    I had a few questions...

    - I do not have access to a WS-2003 machine. Is the 180-day
    trial version that comes with the self-study kits good for
    all of the content in the books ?

    - Does most of the material entail hands-on examples ?

    - Have many other people taken the self-study route ? If
    so, what were your experiences ? (how long did it take you
    , were the books comprehensive and complete , etc) .

    - I have a computer science degree but have no practical
    experience yet (but consider myself resourceful and
    quick-to-learn) . Am I barking up the wrong tree when it
    comes to getting a foot in the door to this scant(for
    newcomers) industry by taking MCSA ?

    If anyone feels like passing on their experience I'd be
    grateful .

    Thanks in advance

    Lee.

    Lee, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Response In-line...
    --
    "The Rev" MCNGP #44
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    justafreak.com
    ..
    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I am looking at going for MCSA by using the self-study
    > material (cannot afford a course).

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/

    These sites have links to self pased study material. I know others exist,
    but I really liked the Microsoft Press stuff. But if you choose to go
    elsewhere like many do and those books don't include a trial version of
    Windows 2003 then go here and get a copy.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/evalkit.mspx

    > I had a few questions...
    >
    > - I do not have access to a WS-2003 machine. Is the 180-day
    > trial version that comes with the self-study kits good for
    > all of the content in the books ?

    Any "Time-Bomb" Windows Server 2003 trial will work fine for study purposes.
    The included and downloadable version is Enterprise.

    > - Does most of the material entail hands-on examples ?

    While there are examples in the book for the purpose of self-paced labs,
    ther aren't any "real-world" typical scenarios. They are all however a good
    guide line and I know that as you prove yourself in the real world those
    books will be a great tool of reference.

    > - Have many other people taken the self-study route ? If
    > so, what were your experiences ? (how long did it take you
    > , were the books comprehensive and complete , etc) .

    Personally I didn't use self-study books, but I have read all of them for
    the 2003 MCSE track Microsoft has to offer. No one I'm afriad will be able
    to tell you hopw many unless a survey I'm unaware of was conducted, however
    as to the second part of this question; It really depends on you personally.
    How fast to you read and how easily do you pick stuff up? No one can really
    give you an accurate answer to this for comparison to your own studies.

    > - I have a computer science degree but have no practical
    > experience yet (but consider myself resourceful and
    > quick-to-learn) . Am I barking up the wrong tree when it
    > comes to getting a foot in the door to this scant(for
    > newcomers) industry by taking MCSA ?

    Understand that "Paper Professionals" are Certificate holders with no
    experience, however even with that said understand with a cert and a degree
    yo ustill have a small "leg-up" against others in a job interview. I will
    say this however, just don't think you'll make 6 figures right from the get
    go, it just wont happen. But by the time you gain that experience and have
    your certification I'm sure you'll do fine. I did it in the reverse order
    starting with experience then getting my certifications, but unfortunatly
    that isn't always possible, because even for some entry level jobs now they
    want a certification. (Something I do not agree with)

    Also don't be afraid to take temporary or ontract jobs with people like
    KForce and TekSystems. These jobs are a great way to build hands-on real
    world experience and add it to your resume. Plus it wont hurt your
    confidence level when you take that first test.

    The Rev \(MCT\), Feb 9, 2005

  3. Lee

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Lee" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > Hi.
    >
    > I am looking at going for MCSA by using the self-study
    > material (cannot afford a course).
    >
    > I had a few questions...
    >
    > - I do not have access to a WS-2003 machine. Is the 180-day
    > trial version that comes with the self-study kits good for
    > all of the content in the books ?
    >
    > - Does most of the material entail hands-on examples ?
    >
    > - Have many other people taken the self-study route ? If
    > so, what were your experiences ? (how long did it take you
    > , were the books comprehensive and complete , etc) .
    >
    > - I have a computer science degree but have no practical
    > experience yet (but consider myself resourceful and
    > quick-to-learn) . Am I barking up the wrong tree when it
    > comes to getting a foot in the door to this scant(for
    > newcomers) industry by taking MCSA ?
    >
    > If anyone feels like passing on their experience I'd be
    > grateful .
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Lee.

    For study, use MS Press but don't expect it to cover everything in the
    exam. The Readiness and Review section at the back of the book has a
    list of suggestions for further reading -- read them. If you have any of
    the practice exams (Transcender, Self-Test, Measure Up), they have
    suggested reading in their explanations of answers -- read any
    of those in areas you still have trouble. There are losts of resources
    on the microsoft site for further reading (resource kits, help files,
    knowledge base, technet, msdn, white papers, etc.) If you can afford
    it, get more than one book. One author may be good at explaining one
    topic and suck at another so cover your bets. Read the reviews at
    amazon, barnes and noble, etc. and find out what people who bought the
    books thought. Use the practice exams later in your study to gauge your
    understanding of the material.

    The thing that will help you the most for these exams though, is
    practice. Set up a network with as many computers as you can get your
    hands on. If you can't get two or more computers, invest in VM Ware
    Workstation to simulate a network. The MS Press books and many of the
    others come with 120 day evaluation versions of server or professional
    to practice with. Use them.

    And don't use braindumps (any practice exam that professes to have the
    real questions from the exam -- testking, troytech, realexam,
    certkiller, actual tests etc.). This is cheating and is a violation of
    the certification process as well as a lowlife, assfucking way to live.

    I've taken classes in the past and while I enjoyed them (enjoyed being
    out of the office too), I didn't learn very much I didn't already know.
    I felt like we rushed through the material, almost having it read to us
    by the instructor, rushed through the labs (sometimes dragging a partner
    that couldn't find the start menu, much less the administrative tools),
    and felt like I could have learned more if I'd been left alone all that
    time with the book and the computers. I proved it by passing three
    exams so far by self-study. It's up to you to decide if your the type
    of person that can learn best from a class or on your own.

    That is all. Good luck!

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark."

    catwalker63, Feb 10, 2005
  4. Good luck...

    The Rev \(MCT\), Feb 10, 2005
  5. Lee

    anao Guest

    You can do it with CBT....

    Use CBT-Nuggets and Testking....

    Gr. Jan

    "Lee" <> schreef in bericht

    anao, Feb 10, 2005
  6. Lee

    catwalker63 Guest

    "anao" <> prattled ceaslessly in news:420b4400$0$1352
    $:

    > You can do it with CBT....
    >
    > Use CBT-Nuggets and Testking....

    Don't listen to this a.s.s.f.u.c.k.e.r!

    catwalker63, Feb 10, 2005
  7. Lee

    LnkWizard Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > "anao" <> prattled ceaslessly in news:420b4400$0$1352
    > $:
    >
    > > You can do it with CBT....
    > >
    > > Use CBT-Nuggets and Testking....
    > >

    > Don't listen to this a.s.s.f.u.c.k.e.r!
    >
    > --
    > Catwalker
    > aka Pu$$y Feet
    > BS, MCP
    > MCNGP #43
    > www.mcngp.com
    >
    > "Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark."

    Dang it woman, why did you have to get up so early. I wanted to
    flame this jokers butt. We get so few good ones that come in
    here (Lee), that when an @ssfucker like anao offers such fsked
    up advice, I want to flame them so hard there Grandma feels it.

    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

    http://www.mcngp.com

    LnkWizard, Feb 10, 2005
  8. Lee

    anao Guest

    Must be a real M$ trainer.....

    Gr. Johan
    MCSE2003, CCNP, RHCE
    with CBTNUGGETS

    "catwalker63" <> schreef in bericht

    anao, Feb 10, 2005
  9. Lee

    C.G. Guest

    Hi,

    MCSE 2000 Upgradeing to 2003

    I just took an 70-292 for the third time. I wasted $100 for Microsoft's
    WORTHLESS "Upgrading Your Certification to Windows Server 2003", going
    through the entire book and all the labs. I feel like I answered almost all
    of the questions correctly. But with the exam, you can't tell. Then I got
    this crap about how "Some questions may not be counted, others are for
    testing/development purposes, blah blah, blah" as a disclaimer before taking
    the exam. How the hell do I know what is counted and what is not? This
    doesn't seem ethical here. How do we even know if the exam results are
    processed correctly or ethically if we can't get any feedback on anything?
    70-292 bites.

    My advice is do not use Microsoft's WORTHLESS crap to study for this exam.
    Find something else. Microsoft can make the exam but they sure as hell can't
    produce any training material that covers anythging on it. Typical. If
    anyone finds a decent text please post. C.G.

    C.G., Feb 10, 2005
  10. Lee

    catwalker63 Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?Qy5HLg==?=" <> prattled
    ceaslessly in news::

    > Hi,

    <snip>

    Back under the bridge!

    catwalker63, Feb 10, 2005
  11. Lee

    catwalker63 Guest

    "LnkWizard" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > Dang it woman, why did you have to get up so early. I wanted to
    > flame this jokers butt. We get so few good ones that come in
    > here (Lee), that when an @ssfucker like anao offers such fsked
    > up advice, I want to flame them so hard there Grandma feels it.

    > Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5
    >
    > http://www.mcngp.com
    > "He who does not test himself is worthless indeed"

    Sorry. Actually, I hadn't gone to bed yet. I have the graveyard shift.

    catwalker63, Feb 10, 2005
  12. Lee

    Wayne Guest

    pooor liddle darling, want your nappy changed and a new dummy to spit? Grow
    up son.

    --

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
    of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the
    masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"
    - Dennis (sometime in the middle ages)

    Wayne, Feb 11, 2005
  13. Lee

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    catwalker63 <> wrote in

    the brooklyn bridge is that way ------------->

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Feb 11, 2005
  14. Lee

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Rowdy Yates, Feb 11, 2005
  15. Lee

    T-Bone Guest

    "anao" <> wrote
    > Must be a real M$ trainer.....

    Nope, just someone who believes that cheating is bad, m'kay?

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Feb 11, 2005
  16. Lee

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in news:eQZZmaEEFHA.1292
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > "anao" <> wrote
    >> Must be a real M$ trainer.....

    > Nope, just someone who believes that cheating is bad, m'kay?
    >
    > T-Bone
    > MCNGP XL

    you kidding. cheating is bad? no way?

    --