    Any feedback or opinion greatly received,

    Regards

    Jon - in the UK
    Jon C, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Jon C

    James Martin Guest

    Yes, I've self studied for all my exams. I suppose it depends on a couple
    things, 1) your experience level/comfort level 2) Ability to set a
    schedule, deadlines and actually follow through.

    The material itself is not that hard, it's the follow through that's
    difficult. For myself, scheduling the test is the biggest motivator. I
    typically schedule the test before I even start studying (allowing myself
    about two weeks). That's a great motivator, and you can always reschedule
    if you had to. This has worked very well for me so far, as I've taken 6
    tests since Oct (Passed them all).

    As far as experience level/comfort level, that's more subjective. If you've
    never used a computer before obviously it will be more difficult :)..
    Perhaps go to your local book store and spend an hour going through the
    books related to MCSA. Not necessarily reading, but skim through and see
    how manageable it looks to you.

    James Martin, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Jon C

    Silenius Guest

    But tell me something James Martin,
    what is your opinion about the Sybex tests inside the books
    in the end of every chapter and from the other side the other tests
    like boson,measureup for example?
    Which of the above you think is better for practise?
    Im currently study for 210-215 exams and i want to know it.

    Silenius, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Jon C

    James Martin Guest

    Hey Silenius,

    I've never used the Boson or Measureup stuff, so I coudn't really compare.
    The Sybex questions are alright, but the actual test questions are a lot
    harder. Using those questions to find my weak areas, I'll then research
    those areas using newgroups, help files, knowledge base etc. In my opinion
    30% of the MS tests test your ability to take the test and your command of
    the english language, not any of the material. Spending some time learning
    "test taking skills" will definitely pay off, and can easily mean the
    difference between a pass and a fail.

    Obviously knowing the material is the best prerequisite for passing! :).

    James Martin, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Jon C

    Kevin Guest

    Well it's probably can be done, I went to school, but by
    the time I'm ready to write I have to relearn it all again.

    I guess that didn't help, but good luck man!
    Kevin, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Jon C

    Silenius Guest

    Thanks James Martin for your advices.
    But as far as i can see,the Boson ,Measureup or Trancender tests
    are much harder and difficult.

    Silenius, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Jon C

    Guest Guest

    I figured it would be a self motivational thing. And
    thankyou for confirming this.

    I run my own business, and that takes self discipline
    enough. So I am happy in that I can do this.

    I am fairly comfortable with IT - started out on a ZX80
    many years back and now project manage VB application
    development and write the odd bit of .ASP application.

    I take great heart from your experience though, and will
    get myself down to the local book store - any titles you
    recommend?

    Many thanks

    Jon

    Guest, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Those test preps are harder but so are the actual tests. In the 6 month hands on training course I took, they had an online learning tool that held questions to the legitimate concepts taught throughout the course. I know people in my class who did very well when it came to understanding the material and doing the in class assessments but failed miserably on the exams. If you're not a good test taker, doing test prep will help you get acclimated to how the questions will be worded, etc on the real things. I have a friend who's a genius in the real world application of the principle taught but failed a test or two on his way simply because of how difficult exams are for him. Passing or failing a test does not mean you can do the job......

    --
    Samantha Hyatt

    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Samantha Hyatt, Feb 17, 2004