MCSA or MCITP??

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by Eric, May 23, 2008.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hello all

    I recently passed my 70-290 test on my way to MCSA. I am not wondering
    if I should contiue with the other three tests in order to get my MCSA
    or just start on my MCITP. Especially since I would still have to take
    3 tests in order to get the cert, wheather or not I had my MCSA or
    not.

    Does anybody know if it would be better to just stop with the MCSA and
    go MCITP route? I would say it would take me another year or so to get
    my MCSA. Also, are the upgrade exams from MCSA to MCITP any easier
    than just starting from scratch on MCITP? If that is the case I may
    just get my MCSA and than upgrade.

    Also, I know that there are not many books yet for the MCITP (either
    Server Administrator, or Enterprise Administrator) Can anyone recomend
    some good books?

    Thanks for all your help

    Eric
    Eric, May 23, 2008

  2. Eric

    KMcFerrin Guest

    It depends on if you're looking at it from a "difficulty" standpoint or a
    "usefulness" standpoint. Windows 2008 was just released in February, so it
    will probably be a year or more before you start seeing more widespread
    deployments of it. Not to say that there won't be early adopters, because
    there will be. But if your employer has a Windows 2003 environment and no
    immediate plans to go to Windows 2008, then the MCSA will probably be more
    useful.

    Also, when I interview admin/engineer candidates, I'm a little leery of
    someone who only has the brand new certification. It makes me wonder if
    you're new to the industry and only know the latest and greatest, and
    therefore would have difficulty using "older" technology, even if it's still
    commonly in use.

    What are you doing that you expect it to take a year to pass three more exams?

    KMcFerrin, May 23, 2008

  3. Eric

    Eric Guest

    On May 23, 3:33 pm, KMcFerrin <>
    wrote:
    > It depends on if you're looking at it from a "difficulty" standpoint or a
    > "usefulness" standpoint.  Windows 2008 was just released in February, so it
    > will probably be a year or more before you start seeing more widespread
    > deployments of it.  Not to say that there won't be early adopters, because
    > there will be.  But if your employer has a Windows 2003 environment and no
    > immediate plans to go to Windows 2008, then the MCSA will probably be more
    > useful.
    >
    > Also, when I interview admin/engineer candidates, I'm a little leery of
    > someone who only has the brand new certification.  It makes me wonder if
    > you're new to the industry and only know the latest and greatest, and
    > therefore would have difficulty using "older" technology, even if it's still
    > commonly in use.
    >
    > What are you doing that you expect it to take a year to pass three more exams?
    >

    > "Eric" wrote:
    > > Hello all

    > > I recently passed my 70-290 test on my way to MCSA. I am not wondering
    > > if I should contiue with the other three tests in order to get my MCSA
    > > or just start on my MCITP. Especially since I would still have to take
    > > 3 tests in order to get the cert, wheather or not I had my MCSA or
    > > not.

    > > Does anybody know if it would be better to just stop with the MCSA and
    > > go MCITP route? I would say it would take me another year or so to get
    > > my MCSA. Also, are the upgrade exams from MCSA to MCITP any easier
    > > than just starting from scratch on MCITP? If that is the case I may
    > > just get my MCSA and than upgrade.

    > > Also, I know that there are not many books yet for the MCITP (either
    > > Server Administrator, or Enterprise Administrator) Can anyone recomend
    > > some good books?

    > > Thanks for all your help

    > > Eric- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you for the quick reply. I do not care so much about the
    difficulty standpoint, mostly the usefulness. My employer will not be
    going with 2008 anytime soon. I would imagine it would be 5 years or
    so before we run completely on 2008. We would only upgrade when we
    have a need to create a new server or rebuild one. We also want to
    wait until it has been out for a little bit.

    I wouldn't mind getting my MCSA the only reason I thought about it is
    because there are only 2 windows admins at my job. I am the backup,
    and the other already has their MCSA and probably will never leave the
    job so I would never replace this person.

    I know ultimately it comes down to if I think its worth it or not and
    what I want. Also when I made the initial post I was a little
    confused. I thought even if I had my MCSA I would still have to take 3
    exams to get my MCITP Server Admin, well after reading more I see I
    would only have to take 2 exams. I think after doing some more reading
    it would probably be more beneficial for me to finish my MCSA, but
    instead of taking the XP test, take the Vista test, which would count
    as an MCTS for the Enter. Admin MCITP

    The reason that it would take me that long is I am a bit of a
    procrastinator :)
    Eric, May 23, 2008
  4. I'm looking to do the same thing too; I have A+/Networks+ so that counts as
    my elective. I plan on doing the 270, 290, and 291 so I can get the MCSA. I
    was concerned about a functionality of this cert in the future, and you
    basically answered it for me. I have all the courseware for the three
    certifications so I may as well go for them. 2008 Server will be around for
    awhile so I'm not pressed to obtain that one right away.

    Thanks!

    Chris
    --
    Those willing to sacrifice freedom for safety are deprived both freedom and
    safety...

    Aymincendiary, Jun 7, 2008
  5. Eric

    KMcFerrin Guest

    The only thing that I would suggest is to consider taking the 620 (Vista)
    instead of the 270 (Windows XP). I thought that the 620 exam wasn't nearly
    as difficult as the 270 exam, and the 620 exam will count towards MCITP as
    well as MCSA/MCSE. If you are planning to get an MCITP:Enterprise Admin
    certification then by going with the 620 you can save yourself one exam.

    KMcFerrin, Jun 11, 2008
  6. Sounds good, already have the Passport series and a x64 Business OEM copy.

    I do want to take something away from XP before it fades into the horizon,
    and may go for the MCDST. I have all ths study materials on hand.

    Looking over the 290 and 291 Passport series, I can see it's doable, since I
    already have A+/Net+, It's just going to take alot of going over and lab work
    to burn the material into memory (not just memorize a bunch of test
    questions). I also have the MS Press series books, as I would not rely on the
    Passport series alone to study for the exams.

    Thank you, and glad to see they haven't pulled the plug on the MCSA/MCSE
    titles as of yet.

    Chris

    Aymincendiary, Jun 11, 2008
  7. Eric

    Eric Guest

    On Jun 11, 4:16 am, Aymincendiary <> wrote:
    > Sounds good, already have the Passport series and a x64 Business OEM copy.
    >
    > I do want to take something away from XP before it fades into the horizon,
    > and may go for the MCDST. I have all ths study materials on hand.
    >
    > Looking over the 290 and 291 Passport series, I can see it's doable, since I
    > already have A+/Net+, It's just going to take alot of going over and lab work
    > to burn the material into memory (not just memorize a bunch of test
    > questions). I also have the MS Press series books, as I would not rely on the
    > Passport series alone to study for the exams.
    >
    > Thank you, and glad to see they haven't pulled the plug on the MCSA/MCSE
    > titles as of yet.
    >
    > Chris
    > --
    > Those willing to sacrifice freedom for safety are deprived both freedom and
    > safety...
    >

    > "KMcFerrin" wrote:
    > > The only thing that I would suggest is to consider taking the 620 (Vista)
    > > instead of the 270 (Windows XP).  I thought that the 620 exam wasn't nearly
    > > as difficult as the 270 exam, and the 620 exam will count towards MCITP as
    > > well as MCSA/MCSE.  If you are planning to get an MCITP:Enterprise Admin
    > > certification then by going with the 620 you can save yourself one exam.

    > > "Aymincendiary" wrote:

    > > > I'm looking to do the same thing too; I have A+/Networks+ so that counts as
    > > > my elective. I plan on doing the 270, 290, and 291 so I can get the MCSA. I
    > > > was concerned about a functionality of this cert in the future, and you
    > > > basically answered it for me. I have all the courseware for the three
    > > > certifications so I may as well go for them. 2008 Server will be around for
    > > > awhile so I'm not pressed to obtain that one right away.

    > > > Thanks!

    > > > Chris
    > > > --
    > > > Those willing to sacrifice freedom for safety are deprived both freedom and
    > > > safety...

    KMcFerrin,

    I was thinking about that as well, taking the Vista instead of XP
    because vista will count towards MCITP, but after reading I found I
    can take the XP exam as my core OS elective and than I will take my
    Vista as my elective exam...that way it counts for both and I can
    still take the XP exam which I am more comfortable with considering
    since I have never touched a Vista computer and I do not see our
    organization going to Vista any time soon if at all.

    Do you know of any good Vista books that would help me prepare for the
    vista exam? I am not sure which book to get since I haven't used Vista
    or looked at any books.

    Thanks again

    Eric
    Eric, Jun 11, 2008
  8. Simple, ask yourself what is most important in your work environment, is your
    infrastructure still using Windows 2003 in which case stick with the MCSA.
    Concentrate on skills rather than paper certs, then you will find attaining
    the certs much easier anyway.
    --
    Andrew

    Andrew the Vegan, Aug 20, 2008