    $1000+. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which study guides are good
    and reliable?

    Thanks!

    Helpme, May 18, 2005

  2. Helpme

    Zworkin Guest

    I feel your pain. I have worked for companies that do not compensate
    employees working to better themselves. I too started my certifications on
    my own budget long ago, back when Windows 95 was the hardest test M$ had.
    (Any of you shout Grandpa, I'll kick your whiny A$$es).

    Anyhow, still kicking the certs around... I have managed to accumulate a lot
    of free references.

    these are all FREE...

    MCSA Certification requirements page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/

    TechNet: http://technet.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/

    Google: www.google.com:

    What Lab's you say?...

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/traincert/virtuallab/default.mspx

    Virtual Server Eval (180 Days)

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

    Windows server 2003 Eval (180 Days)

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

    Windows Server System Trial Software

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

    Also, if you purchase ISBN: 0735621527, MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit
    (Exam 70-270): Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows
    XP Professional, Second Edition. You get an eval (120 Day) of XP with
    SP2...

    Or

    IMO you can install virtual server load up XP Pro reusing the key, just not
    activating it, use it for 30 days (trial) then dump it.

    Or

    Buy a copy...

    Now to answer your practice test question... They are over rated, but they
    may give you a better feeling before walking in the door of the testing
    center.

    Call the testing center. My VUE center here offers a practice test prior to
    the actual test. It's Transcender, I believe, but if you don't pass that
    they recommend you reschedule your exam, and study more. Of course they
    offer you the next Training class (for a small fee of $1500-$2000) available
    also, but.....

    Spend some time in here and on the other public MS sites pertaining to the
    topics of study, and you should be able to move along greatly. Remember the
    free tools, including google... It will save you the embarrassment of
    posting embarrassing posts.

    A word of friendly advice...

    -No one likes a cheater.
    -If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself.

    Consider yourself warned.
    -z

    Zworkin, May 18, 2005

  3. Helpme

    Anfeargneas Guest

    If you can get your hands on the MOC as well, there are references in the
    notes to various white papers, that I found invaluable.
    Also, Zworkin, how can you cheat on the exams? It is surely impossible?

    Anfeargneas, May 19, 2005
  4. Helpme

    Zworkin Guest

    I don't feel the need to start yet another long unproductive debate on the
    use of dump sites and certification prep test/guides that basically provide
    information specific to actual test questions.

    The NT 4.0 MCSE value was very high when I first did the cert. A few years
    later I might as well have signed my own certificate taped it up on the "I
    love myself wall" stamped it on my resume and call myself certified. The
    2000 track was hyped as a new life for the MCSE, however it too fell into
    the same pit or "dumps" that plagued the 4.0 MCSE. However the cert did get
    a bit harder. The average web surfer couldn't pass, other people didn't
    need to upgrade because they had gotten into the field, "piss on the cert,
    who needs it? Doesn't prove anything anyway..."

    I see the point of the MCNGP group's rowdy way of trying to keep the cert's
    value valuable. We all, or most of us, invest personal time money and pride
    in attaining these cert's. Why should a "cheater" stand shoulder to
    shoulder with me?

    The cheater didn't earn the right to be the go to guy. The cheater took the
    easy road, clicking on link after link to get the answers. I spent time
    away from my family and friends, locked in my home lab loading software,
    configuring servers and host to act and do things that you know would never
    really be done in the real world. Break the damn thing, see how stupid the
    thing acts and then fix it piece by piece, all the time keeping an eye on
    the overall test objectives.

    Everyone looks and wants a piece of the salary survey's that are posted all
    over the web. MCP's make this much, MCSE's make that much, CCIE's make the
    most.... Look at the figures, then look at which cert's are the easies to
    achieve cheating or not. What job would be the easiest to fake the funk?
    I don't see how anyone could cheat and get a job presumably on the fact that
    they know or can demonstrate proficiency at MCSE level. Walk in the door
    the first day must scare the pants off them. How could they feel good about
    what they've done? I'd be worried that if something broke, simple or not,
    what if I couldn't fix it. Granted nothing that brakes is usually a test
    objective, at least in my environment.

    As I mentioned in a prior post, I have fired MCSE's. Not the good ones of
    course, those guy's work hard and know their Sh1t. I like knowing that when
    the going gets tuff (the Network/Enterprise is down, something is broke and
    the go to guy staying late to fix it), the go to guy is worth his salt. If
    it's me then let's Rock-n-Roll, if it's you then you decide which path to
    take...

    -z

    Zworkin, May 19, 2005
  5. Helpme

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, Zworkin expostulated for all the
    world to hear;

    > those guy's work hard and know their Sh1t. I like knowing that when
    > the going gets tuff (the Network/Enterprise is down, something is
    > broke and the go to guy staying late to fix it),

    Amen.

    And there won't be dumps to help, because what's borked wasn't covered by
    the exam.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, May 19, 2005
  6. Helpme

    Anfeargneas Guest

    Guys, excuse my naivety on this subject, I thought that it took a lot of hard
    work to pass the MCP's. I done and passed my last MCP for my MCSA today, I've
    spent 7 months studying for them, that a lot of time away from my 3 young
    children. I did encounter a few people on my travels who would tell me that
    they done some of the MCP exams in 10 - 15 minutes, this is surely
    impossible? Anyway, even if someone attains an MCSA or MCSE, they'll be found
    out very quickly in a job, but I do sympathise with the point that it
    devalues the amount of work we put into them.
    Hopefully the new 2003 exam format will sort the cheats out?

    Anfeargneas, May 19, 2005
  7. Helpme

    Briscobar Guest

    In news:,
    Anfeargneas <> rambled:
    > Guys, excuse my naivety on this subject, I thought that it took a lot
    > of hard work to pass the MCP's.

    To pass the exams should be relatively easy. The misconception is people try
    to take the exams before they're ready. And by "ready", I mean "spent
    significant time in the field." MS exams can (and routinely are) passed by
    people who do nothing more than read a book and build a home network. Fine.
    But they're intended for the professional who's been working with the
    product for a while (most exams suggest a year, but that's only a general
    guideline). The exams aren't intended for a "noob" to pass, thus stuffing
    his resume with intelligent-sounding letters after his name. That's what
    happens, but that's not what MS intended.

    > I done and passed my last MCP for my
    > MCSA today,

    Congratulations, then!

    > I've spent 7 months studying for them, that a lot of time
    > away from my 3 young children.

    This is "proper" studying. I'm assuming you've scoured the web, bought
    various books, and built a home network, rather than just hopping over to
    one of the braindump sites? Good job.

    > I did encounter a few people on my
    > travels who would tell me that they done some of the MCP exams in 10
    > - 15 minutes, this is surely impossible?

    Oh no, it's highly possible. Wrong, immoral, and cheating, but possible. The
    people that can do this are one of two things:
    1) Insanely smart and fast readers.
    2) Braindumpers who know the questions that will be asked before they even
    walk into the testing center.

    Take a wild guess as to which is more likely.

    > Anyway, even if someone
    > attains an MCSA or MCSE, they'll be found out very quickly in a job,

    One would think...it doesn't always happen, but frequently it does. And I
    love reading stories about people's awful coworkers. The sad thing is, the
    dumpers/cheaters/other random vile scum don't bother thinking this far
    ahead. Their mindset stops after they hit the "Pass 070-xxx" step. When in
    all reality, they should be working on getting (and holding) a job. MS certs
    (and others) aren't surefire "Proceed to Go, collect $200" cards. They may
    mean an interview, but they're not going to get you a job. Skills get you
    the job. You need both - cheaters only have one. That's why they often don't
    get jobs and become bitter. And if they do get jobs, they frequently tank.
    Although I know a guy who dumped through the exams a few years back, got a
    job, and now he's probably the most knowledgeable IT guy I know. Of course,
    it doesnt' excuse the cheating, but he was willing to put in the hard work
    on the company's dime, not his own. I can respect that, but not the way he
    went about it. Anyway, yeah, they usually get found out, and the good techs
    advance.

    > Hopefully the new 2003 exam format will sort the cheats out?

    MS rolled out its new simulation exams recently. These make it significantly
    harder to cheat on, as they're more like Cisco's exams now - they have a
    practical element as opposed to straight theory. Only time will tell if this
    will restore the MCSE (and others) to ther former glory, or if they'll just
    be wasted time and money, as they've been for a few years now. Whatever the
    outcome, I don't think the simulations can *hurt* the cert(s), so that's a
    good thing.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    Sometimes, I feel that www.mcngp.com isn't treating me with the respect
    I deserve.

    Briscobar, May 19, 2005
  8. Helpme

    Zworkin Guest

    Interesting movie quote... "Life will find a way" -Jurrasic Park (my kids
    could tell you which one of the 3 but...)

    -point being cheaters will also find a way.

    You would hope that some how in the HR process, the people that would be
    working with the new individual may be able to speak to this prospect to
    accertain abilities. However, I've worked in places that just drop someone
    in. Your also right in that people will be found out soon enough. Problem
    is, some IT shops are big, these types of people sit back in the corner
    keeping thier head low as they walk out the door at the end of everyday,
    while co-workers are still solving the problem of the day. Everyone knows
    the IT industry has never followed the norm. emplyee's dedicating 20-30 yrs
    in one company. Soon this guy moves on to a new job stamps on his resume
    the job functions of his co-workers.

    I've seen it. We hired a guy that was suppose to be "speciallized" or
    hands-on expeienced with major migrations. Come to find out this guy was in
    a company that was migrated from NT -> 2K, but never did anything with the
    migration. This particular contract didn't allow us time to swap or fire
    the guy so we moved along without this guy's "experienced" knowledge. We
    made the best of the deal, but he got a healthy paycheck based on his
    "expeienced" knowledge. He's now expeirenced and I might add learned a lot
    in 3 months, but who knows what he's got on his resume now?

    This is just an example of one of the MCSE's I had to deal with. I have
    since moved on from that company, however they still contact me to provide
    feedback of an interview. Thier HR is wary of the title MCSE or cert's in
    general. They don't put the faith in the cert, that was created to set
    "Certified Professionals" apart from Joe Smo the IT guy dinosaur.

    Zworkin, May 19, 2005
  9. Helpme

    Darrick West Guest

    I agree. I got my MCP in 2000 back in January 2004. I waited until I got
    some more real work experience before taking and passing 70-215 with an 820
    today. Though I passed the test, I know my weaknesses. They involve
    features of the OS I will probably never get to use at my current employer,
    that being remote access. I have no choice but to experiment with RAS in my
    2 PC lab at home which also includes some virtual machines.

    I hope I don't get flamed, but the new VMware Worstation 5 is far better
    than Microsoft's VirtualPC 2004. I own both.

    I don't what to be a paper MCSA/MCSE. If I have to do some voluntery work
    to get the experience, I'll do it.

    Darrick West, May 20, 2005
  10. Helpme

    Briscobar Guest

    In news:,
    Darrick West <> rambled:
    > I agree. I got my MCP in 2000 back in January 2004. I waited until
    > I got some more real work experience before taking and passing 70-215
    > with an 820 today. Though I passed the test, I know my weaknesses.
    > They involve features of the OS I will probably never get to use at
    > my current employer, that being remote access. I have no choice but
    > to experiment with RAS in my 2 PC lab at home which also includes
    > some virtual machines.

    I think that's commendable. Waiting until you have actual experience to take
    the exams is how MS intended it. Whether that's best for the MCSE community
    or not, I have no idea, but it's the direction Microsoft wanted the certs to
    go.

    > I hope I don't get flamed, but the new VMware Worstation 5 is far
    > better than Microsoft's VirtualPC 2004. I own both.

    Eh, you may start a little argument, but considering you've used both, it's
    going to be hard to sway your opinion.

    > I don't what to be a paper MCSA/MCSE. If I have to do some voluntery
    > work to get the experience, I'll do it.

    That's the spirit. Very commendable. Keep it up, and good luck.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    www.mcngp.com's milkshake is better than yours.