    In case it matters, the exams that I have passed thus far are 210,
    215, 216, and 218. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

    , Aug 29, 2007

  2. "" <> wrote in message
    news::

    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I currently hold an MCSA on Windows 2000, and am currently reading
    > through the material to take the upgrade exam to get my 2003 MCSA.
    > My question is this: Where does that leave me in terms of eventually
    > earning my 2003 MCSE as well?
    >
    > Does passing the MCSA upgrade exam count as having passed 4 Server
    > 2003 exams for the purposes of accumulating the 7 needed for an MCSE?
    > Or will Microsoft tell me "Congrats on your 2003 MCSA, now start over
    > from scratch."?
    >
    > In case it matters, the exams that I have passed thus far are 210,
    > 215, 216, and 218. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

    For the Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows 2000
    credential, the candidate should keep the following in mind:

    .. Networking: An MCSA on Windows 2000 has the option to take Exam
    70-292 instead of Exams 70-290 and 70-291. However, Exams 70-293 and
    70-294 are still required.

    .. Client: An MCSA on Windows 2000 has already passed Exam 70-210 or
    70-270, which also satisfies the client requirement for MCSE on Windows
    Server 2003; therefore, no action is required.

    .. Design: The MCSA certification does not require candidates to prove
    design skills. To attain the MCSE on Windows Server 2003 certification,
    you must pass a design exam listed in the certification requirements
    that are described earlier.

    .. Elective: Elective exams are required so that candidates prove
    technical breadth, interoperability skills, or additional technical
    depth. For an MCSA on Windows 2000, the MCSA credential itself satisfies
    the elective requirement for MCSE on Windows Server 2003 because it
    proves the ability to administer another version of the platform;
    therefore, no additional action is required.

    Your MCSA 2000 counts as an elective for the MCSE 2003.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Aug 29, 2007

  3. Hi. I'm in the exact same situation as . I've passed
    (with this I earned my MCSA W2000):
    70-210
    70-215
    70-216
    70-218

    I was now planning to upgrade to MCSA W2003 by taking 70-292 next November.
    With this, I'd be fine with the deadline defined at March 2008 (retirement
    for W2000 exams and upgrade exams).
    After I pass 70-292, I can be calmed again, knowing I have till MS retire
    W2003 exams (this could be aproximately in 2012) to complete my MCSE path.

    So, let's assume I pass 70-292 and I become MCSA W2003. I have in mind this
    3 certifications to achieve my MCSE W2003:

    a) CompTIA Security+ (as elective).
    b) 70-293 (as MCSE W2003 core).
    c) 70-294 (as MCSE W2003 core).

    Is my planned path correct and MS will give me the MCSE W2003 with those 3
    exams passed?

    I accept any kind for comments/advices.

    Thanks so much.

    Carlos Tapia.

    PS: I'm waiting for my transcript to update and show that I passed 70-218 4
    days ago. After that...am I supposed to receive a MCSA W2000
    credential/number? Is it expected that MS will mail me a Kit like the one you
    get when you became MCP? Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=, Sep 4, 2007
  4. Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Carlos,

    1. Microsoft will not retire the MCSE and MCSA certifications. They will
    just become less and less relevant.

    2. In order to obtain your MCSE on Windows Server 2003 you will need to pass
    a Microsoft design exam, such as 70-297, 70-298, or 70-299. There is no way
    around this.

    Good luck!

    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
    Visit my blog at http://blog.mitchgarvis.com
    ---

    Montreal MCT, Sep 4, 2007
  5. "Montreal MCT" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hi Carlos,
    >
    > 1. Microsoft will not retire the MCSE and MCSA certifications. They will
    > just become less and less relevant.
    >
    > 2. In order to obtain your MCSE on Windows Server 2003 you will need to
    > pass a Microsoft design exam, such as 70-297, 70-298, or 70-299. There is
    > no way around this.

    70-299 (implementing security) is not a design exam

    Henrik Johansson, Sep 4, 2007