    --
    Miguel A. Montañez, MCP
    Apopka, FL

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=, Apr 20, 2006

  2. show off
    --
    LoopBack

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9vcGJhY2s=?=, Apr 20, 2006

  3. << While I was at work, Miguel spurted out:
    > Team, I apologize if this is not the correct group to discuss this.

    This is the correct place.

    > I want to create a lab @ home to study & practice for MCSA/MCSE certs.

    Try Microsoft Virtual PC, or Microsoft Virtual Server
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx

    > I already have a HP Media Center @ home using a cable DSL connection
    > thru the NIC. Also, I bought 3 Compaq Evo to use 2 of them as
    > servers, and one as a client computer.

    If you must, and since you already have the hardware, you have a few options.
    1. You can set one up as the domain server with Windows Server 2003 using Active
    Directory, DNS, and DHCP, then connect the clients via a hub.
    OR
    2. You can get yourself a router to act as a DHCP server that will manage all of
    your computers. This option, although it will be easier to setup, it doesn't
    give you as many options when learning what you need for the exams.

    Option 1 has and always will be my choice, as this is what you will run into 99
    out of 100 times in the real world.

    > How would be the best configuration for my lab to accomplish this? I
    > plan to keep the LAN after getting the certs.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    Good luck.

    --
    Bigus Si©kus
    MCNGP #51

    Bigus Si©kus, Apr 20, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    LoopBack Guest

    "Bigus Si©kus" <Bigus Si©kus@¹¥çÇöZ.©Yo> wrote in message
    > << While I was at work, Miguel spurted out:
    >> Team, I apologize if this is not the correct group to discuss this.
    >>

    > This is the correct place.
    >
    >> I want to create a lab @ home to study & practice for MCSA/MCSE certs.
    >>

    > Try Microsoft Virtual PC, or Microsoft Virtual Server
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx
    >

    >> I already have a HP Media Center @ home using a cable DSL connection
    >> thru the NIC. Also, I bought 3 Compaq Evo to use 2 of them as
    >> servers, and one as a client computer.
    >>

    > If you must, and since you already have the hardware, you have a few
    > options.
    > 1. You can set one up as the domain server with Windows Server 2003 using
    > Active
    > Directory, DNS, and DHCP, then connect the clients via a hub.
    > OR
    > 2. You can get yourself a router to act as a DHCP server that will manage
    > all of
    > your computers. This option, although it will be easier to setup, it
    > doesn't
    > give you as many options when learning what you need for the exams.
    >
    > Option 1 has and always will be my choice, as this is what you will run
    > into 99
    > out of 100 times in the real world.
    >
    >> How would be the best configuration for my lab to accomplish this? I
    >> plan to keep the LAN after getting the certs.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance.

    > Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Bigus Si©kus
    > MCNGP #51
    > -- You don't sound sick!
    > -- I'm fsukin my dog...that sound sick enough for ya??

    ....and the 1st prize for MVP of the year goes to...

    --
    LoopBack
    ....on a constant learning curve

    LoopBack, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Thank you very much. I'll try this. Anyway, I'm still open for more
    suggestions.
    --
    Miguel, MCP (MCSA on th e go)
    Apopka, FL

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=, Apr 21, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    kpg Guest

    As Miguel once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

    > Thank you very much. I'll try this. Anyway, I'm still
    > open for more suggestions.

    Pay into your 401k until it hurts. At the very least
    up to the matching funds limit.

    kpg, Apr 21, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > Pay into your 401k until it hurts. At the very least
    > up to the matching funds limit.

    This is very good advice. I also suggest you put away a little money from
    each check before you do anything else. Pay yourself first, no one else
    will.

    I operate under the assumption that Social Security will be long gone before
    I quailfy.

    Jtyc, Apr 21, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    kpg Guest

    As Jtyc once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

    > # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\195518.htm (4/21/2006
    > 1:25:25 PM) #
    >> Pay into your 401k until it hurts. At the very least
    >> up to the matching funds limit.

    > This is very good advice. I also suggest you put away a little money
    > from each check before you do anything else. Pay yourself first, no
    > one else will.
    >

    > I operate under the assumption that Social Security will be long gone
    > before I quailfy.

    I have a solid retirement plan. At age 65 I will renounce my citizenship,
    cross over into Mexico, then back into the Estados Unidos, where will
    then be given free medical, a free house, a card I can use to buy food,
    and a monthly check. The only problem is all the forms will be in Spanish,
    but I figure I could hire an illegal to fill them out for me.

    kpg, Apr 21, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > I have a solid retirement plan. At age 65 I will renounce my citizenship,
    > cross over into Mexico, then back into the Estados Unidos, where will
    > then be given free medical, a free house, a card I can use to buy food,
    > and a monthly check. The only problem is all the forms will be in
    > Spanish,
    > but I figure I could hire an illegal to fill them out for me.

    *takes notes*

    Jtyc, Apr 21, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    MitchS Guest

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message

    > I operate under the assumption that Social Security will be long gone
    > before I quailfy.

    That's not an assumption amigo, that's a given. In forty years when I would
    qualify noone will even remember SS. But who cares, by then noone will
    speak English and we'll all be working at 7-11 hoping our Indian boss raises
    our pay to 50 pesos.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.

    MitchS, Apr 21, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    JaR Guest

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in

    >> I have a solid retirement plan. At age 65 I will renounce my
    >> citizenship, cross over into Mexico, then back into the Estados
    >> Unidos, where will then be given free medical, a free house, a card
    >> I can use to buy food, and a monthly check. The only problem is all
    >> the forms will be in Spanish,
    >> but I figure I could hire an illegal to fill them out for me.

    > *takes notes*

    Fsck that!

    *Digs out Spanish dictionary and checks airline schedules.*

    --
    Senor HaR
    MCNGP #22

    JaR, Apr 21, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    JaR Guest

    "MitchS" <> wrote in

    > by then noone will
    > speak English and we'll all be working at 7-11 hoping our Indian boss
    > raises our pay to 50 pesos.

    It's called Globalization.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP #22

    JaR, Apr 21, 2006
  13. << While I was at work, JaR spurted out:
    > "Jtyc" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> I have a solid retirement plan. At age 65 I will renounce my
    >>> citizenship, cross over into Mexico, then back into the Estados
    >>> Unidos, where will then be given free medical, a free house, a card
    >>> I can use to buy food, and a monthly check. The only problem is all
    >>> the forms will be in Spanish,
    >>> but I figure I could hire an illegal to fill them out for me.

    >> *takes notes*
    >>

    > Fsck that!
    >
    > *Digs out Spanish dictionary and checks airline schedules.*

    The spanish dictionary has airline schedules? Why didn't Webster think of that?

    Bigus Si©kus, Apr 21, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVs?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear kpg <> say in

    > where will
    > then be given free medical, a free house, a card I can use to buy food,
    > and a monthly check.

    you could do that now in Canada. Of course you will have to pop out a baby
    or 6 and then we call the check a mothers allowance...

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Confucius say: Early worm have death wish

    Neil, Apr 22, 2006