mcsa exams

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Drew, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. Drew

    Drew Guest

    My company has indicated that they would like me to become MCSA
    certified. They've said that a specialization isn't necessary, just
    the base level MCSA. They have also said they would prefer the MCSA
    for 2003 to the equivalent next generation cert by Microsoft as most
    of our customers have no Vista plans at this time.

    I know that Microsoft has said the MCSA (and MCSE) will never be
    expired and will always be recognized. Their value will just diminish
    as companies slowly migrate to Vista.

    This is my question. The MCSA is basically the exams 70-290, 70-291,
    and 70-270 (already passed) and an elective (already earned).

    Will Microsoft at some point stop administering the 70-290 and 70-291
    exams even though the cert itself won't be expired or retired?

    Just trying to get a good idea of how long I have to get the MCSA 2003
    done before the exams are no longer available. I know the cert won't
    be expired but I'm guessing, at some point, the exams won't be offered
    anymore.

    Can anyone advise?

    Thanks
    Drew
    Drew, Oct 14, 2007

  2. "Drew" <> wrote in message

    > My company has indicated that they would like me to become MCSA
    > certified. They've said that a specialization isn't necessary, just
    > the base level MCSA. They have also said they would prefer the MCSA
    > for 2003 to the equivalent next generation cert by Microsoft as most
    > of our customers have no Vista plans at this time.
    >
    > I know that Microsoft has said the MCSA (and MCSE) will never be
    > expired and will always be recognized. Their value will just diminish
    > as companies slowly migrate to Vista.
    >
    > This is my question. The MCSA is basically the exams 70-290, 70-291,
    > and 70-270 (already passed) and an elective (already earned).
    >
    > Will Microsoft at some point stop administering the 70-290 and 70-291
    > exams even though the cert itself won't be expired or retired?
    >
    > Just trying to get a good idea of how long I have to get the MCSA 2003
    > done before the exams are no longer available. I know the cert won't
    > be expired but I'm guessing, at some point, the exams won't be offered
    > anymore.
    >
    > Can anyone advise?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Drew

    You are correct. The exams, in time, will expire. No official date has
    been release for the 2003 retirement exams.

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Oct 14, 2007

  3. Drew

    Montreal MCT Guest

    If it helps to speculate, the equivalent Windows 2000 exams are retiring
    March 31, 2008. If we follow logic (not always prudent) the Windows Server
    2003 exams should retire sometime in 2011.

    My advice: Don't wait until December, 2010! :)

    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
    Visit my blog at http://feeds.feedburner.com/MitchGBlog
    ---
    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Montreal MCT, Oct 15, 2007
  4. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Thanks Guys!

    Much appreciated! Do you guys think MCSA 2003 makes sense still with
    the next generation of certs out? It seems fairly certain that many
    companies won't be going with Vista for a while. Maybe I need to work
    on 2003 and then the next gen.

    Drew, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Drew

    Montreal MCT Guest

    I think the MCSA makes a lot of sense for two reasons:
    1) It is what your company has asked of you; and
    2) The next generation of certs for Server 2008 will not be out until
    March/April timeframe.

    Go get your MCSA... it is what you know, and you will be proud of yourself!

    Montreal MCT, Oct 15, 2007
  6. "Drew" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks Guys!
    >
    > Much appreciated! Do you guys think MCSA 2003 makes sense still with
    > the next generation of certs out? It seems fairly certain that many
    > companies won't be going with Vista for a while. Maybe I need to work
    > on 2003 and then the next gen.
    >

    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:35:08 -0400, "Montreal MCT"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >If it helps to speculate, the equivalent Windows 2000 exams are retiring
    > >March 31, 2008. If we follow logic (not always prudent) the Windows Server
    > >2003 exams should retire sometime in 2011.
    > >
    > >My advice: Don't wait until December, 2010! :)

    For what it's worth, I stopped servicing clients still running NT4.0. A
    majority of them did not wish to upgrade from 2000. And more of them are
    quite happy with 2003.
    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Oct 15, 2007