MCSA 2003 upgrade to 2008 Enterprise Administrator...

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by green, May 4, 2008.

  1. green

    green Guest

    The goal is to be a certified 2008 enterprise administrator.

    Which of the following two options is best?

    Option 1. (Total of 6 exams)

    Upgrade to MCSE 2003 (from MCSA 2003): 3 exams
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297

    Upgrade from MCSE 2003 to 2008 Enterprise Administrator: 3 exams
    70-649
    70-620 or 70-624
    70-647

    Option 2. (Total of 4 exams)

    Upgrade from MCSA 2003 to 2008 enterprise administrator: 4 exams
    70-648
    70-620 or 70-624
    70-643
    70-647

    green, May 4, 2008

  2. I've taken the 70-649. I always do the all-in-one exams anytime I can. But
    studding for the equivalent of multiple exams at the same time isn't for
    everyone. Obviously they can't cover every learning objective on a single
    exam, but you still have to learn it all.

    BTW: I plan to take both the 70-646 (Server Administrator) and 70-647
    (Enterprise Administrator). There is some overlap between the two, but the
    Enterprise Administrator job factions do not encompass the Server
    Administrator job factions. They are two completely separate job roles, and
    thus, two different certifications.

    Check out the "Q. What is the difference between the two new Professional
    Series certifications: Enterprise Administrator and Server Administrator? Is
    there an overlap? " question " in the "Frequently Asked Questions About
    Windows Server 2008 Certification"

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/windowsserver/faq/default.mspx

    Harvey Colwell, May 5, 2008

  3. green

    green Guest

    doing the 70-646 and the 70-647 is actually not a bad idea...thnx for the tip.

    btw... i will complete the MCSE 2003 before i do the 2008
    certifications...got more than 8 years of hands-on experience with 2003 so i
    think i will do just fine...the company i work for places more value in
    experience over the "paper" certification.
    On the other hand...i feel its time for me to move on so certifications does
    help...even if i hv to finance the whole deal myself.

    green, May 6, 2008
  4. I took my first certification exam back in '89. I'm currently working on my
    45th and I've had to pay for almost all of the expensive out of my own
    packet. Study material, exam fees, and even taking vacation off to take the
    exams.

    Experience is better than book knowledge only. But experience and
    certifications is the best.

    Most jobs are far too specialized. You only learn what you're exposed to.
    I'm really good with Active Directory replication issues. But if you
    normally don't deal with the DCs, or if your company has only one site,
    you'll never get any experience with AD replication issues.

    Being a consultant is the best. With so many different customers, you get
    exposed to the widest array of configuration, interoperability, efficiency,
    redundancy, recovery, etc, etc, etc issues that you could ever imagine.

    Studding for a certification exposes you to a many features and scenarios
    that you would normally never see in your day-to-day work. Then with this
    knowledge in you back pocket, when you are confronted with a new situation,
    you are better prepared to quickly solve it.

    Harvey Colwell, May 7, 2008