    elective towards the MCSE 2003? Any answers suggestions will be helpful.

    Thanks
    Karma
    =?Utf-8?B?S2FybWFfTWFwcw==?=, Jun 2, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybWFfTWFwcw==?=

    Lukas Beeler Guest

    * Karma_Maps <>:
    > I just finished my MCSA 2003 and was wondering if i could use that as an
    > elective towards the MCSE 2003? Any answers suggestions will be helpful.

    The MCSA doesn't count directly as an elective towards the MCSE.

    But most MCSA Electives DO count as MCSE elective.

    Tip: logon to https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/, and go to the
    Certification Planner - you will see exactly how Microsoft's
    Business Rules work.

    --
    Read my blog at http://projectdream.org
    Lukas Beeler, Jun 2, 2007

  3. <snip>
    The MCSA doesn't count directly as an elective towards the MCSE
    </snip>

    Quoi? It doesn't? Since when?

    3 of the exams are a guarantee to be counted directly for the MCSE. (290,
    291, and your OS Exam of choice (210, 270,etc.)) And a mild guarantee your
    elective would as well. So long as your elective isn't your MCDST or A+/Net+
    the odds of that exam also being credit to your MCSE are pretty high.
    --
    ..rev

    accepting it"
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Jun 2, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybWFfTWFwcw==?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    The Rev [MCT] piffled away vaguely:

    > <snip>
    > The MCSA doesn't count directly as an elective towards the MCSE
    > </snip>
    >
    > Quoi? It doesn't? Since when?
    >
    > 3 of the exams are a guarantee to be counted directly for the MCSE. (290,
    > 291, and your OS Exam of choice (210, 270,etc.)) And a mild guarantee your
    > elective would as well. So long as your elective isn't your MCDST or A+/Net+
    > the odds of that exam also being credit to your MCSE are pretty high.

    I think the wording of the OP is the cause of the confusion. The
    whole cert is not an elective and that's how the OP worded it. The
    exams will count but you don't use the whole MCSA as one elective
    toward MCSE. You plan your MCSA correctly and you have 4 out of 7
    exams for your MCSE.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Jun 2, 2007
  5. "catwalker63" <> wrote in message

    > I think the wording of the OP is the cause of the confusion. The
    > whole cert is not an elective and that's how the OP worded it. The
    > exams will count but you don't use the whole MCSA as one elective
    > toward MCSE. You plan your MCSA correctly and you have 4 out of 7
    > exams for your MCSE.
    > --
    >
    > Catwalker
    > MCNGP #43
    > www.mcngp.com
    > "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

    This was my thought as well, e.g. if you hold an MCSA 2000 certification
    it can be used as an elective with the MCSE 2003 certification.
    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], Jun 2, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybWFfTWFwcw==?=

    Jeff Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <> wrote in
    message news:%...
    > This was my thought as well, e.g. if you hold an MCSA 2000 certification
    > it can be used as an elective with the MCSE 2003 certification.

    It is best to upgrade the MCSA 2000 to MCSE 2003 first with the 70-292. Then
    you are required to take 70-293 and 70-294.

    From http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx :
    For the Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows 2000
    credential, the candidate should keep the following in mind:

    . Networking: An MCSA on Windows 2000 has the option to take Exam
    70-292 instead of Exams 70-290 and 70-291. However, Exams 70-293 and 70-294
    are still required.
    Jeff, Jun 2, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybWFfTWFwcw==?=

    Jeff Guest

    So to answer the OP's question. Yes. but it can't be used as an elective.
    MCSE 2000 or MCSA 2000 can be used as an elective. Some of the exams that
    where used in in MCSA can be used as credit for your MCSE, such as 210, 270,
    290 or 291.
    Jeff, Jun 2, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybWFfTWFwcw==?=

    Lukas Beeler Guest

    * The Rev [MCT] <>:
    > <snip>
    > The MCSA doesn't count directly as an elective towards the MCSE
    > </snip>
    >
    > Quoi? It doesn't? Since when?

    As others have already elaborated - the MCSA certification does
    _not_ count as an elective for the MCSE certification (like the
    MCDST does for the MCSA).

    However, MCSA and MCSE share many certificates, including some
    electives.

    --
    Read my blog at http://projectdream.org
    Lukas Beeler, Jun 2, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybWFfTWFwcw==?=

    Jeff Guest

    The MCSA 2000 DOES count as an elective for the MCSE 2003. The MCSA 2003
    does NOT count.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx
    Note As an alternative to the electives that are listed in the elective
    exams table, these Microsoft certifications may be substituted for an MCSE
    elective:

    Microsoft Certifications
    MCSA on Microsoft Windows 2000

    MCSE on Microsoft Windows 2000