    certification exams, or setup a Windows 2003 lab just for
    practise?

    Dan Adams
    Dan Adams, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Dan Adams

    Paul Guest

    If I were you, I would get the MCSE 2000 first and then
    upgrade to W2k3 with the 2 upgrade tests. That way, you
    will have 2 MCSE's with only 9 tests.

    got

    Paul, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Re: 2000 or 2003? Which should I pursue?

    I wonder if a hiring manager would really say "Sorry, we run 2000 here.
    Your 2003 cert is meaningless. Goodbye!"

    I can see it with NT vs 2000 but 2000 vs 2003????

    Colin Nash [MVP], Feb 17, 2004
  4. Dan Adams

    Herb Martin Guest

    Re: 2000 or 2003? Which should I pursue?

    Unless you are well into your Win2000 MCSE, then if you have to ask
    you should do the Win2003.

    Most people take far to long to complete these. No one should ever
    PLAN to take more than six months. If you are doing more than one
    test a month you are doing it the hard way.

    (This does not mean that it is bad to take over six months, just don't have
    a plan that is longer than that. Build an AGGRESSIVE plan to learn the
    material and take the exams. Then, just do it -- the best you can.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Dan Adams

    Dan Adams Guest

    Re: 2000 or 2003? Which should I pursue?

    Thanks for the reply. The only reason I chose to consider the 2000
    track was because I dont have day-to-day access to a production
    Windows 2003 network. But I guess it's time to build a test lab:)

    BTw, what would you recommend in study guides for the MCSA/MCSE 2003
    track?

    Dan Adams, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Dan Adams

    Herb Martin Guest

    "Dan Adams" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply. The only reason I chose to consider the 2000
    > track was because I dont have day-to-day access to a production
    > Windows 2003 network. But I guess it's time to build a test lab:)

    Actually it's better if you do NOT use a production machine for most of your
    study. It's much better to be able to "tear it up". If you don't destroy
    it a couple
    of times you aren't experimenting enough.

    You really should free yourself to try everything; re-install; repeat.

    I train a lot of Microsoft Consultants (MCS), and I always tell them they
    need a
    machine with Win2003 Server (they interupt, "Of course") and they I
    finish "that you can tear up". Of course they have the OS, but they need
    the
    freedom to experiment.

    > BTw, what would you recommend in study guides for the MCSA/MCSE 2003
    > track?

    The MS outlines; built-in HELP; TechNet <--- REALLY ALL YOUR NEED

    Maybe: "Win2003 Server Delta Guide" (cheap and small, not that accurate
    about
    what is "new" versus Win2000, but excellent quick yet USEFUL coverage of
    most
    important areas, especially the new stuff.)

    Maybe: MS Press titles for various specific subjects (but these have been
    going down
    in quality while the Help and Technet always get better.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Re: 2000 or 2003? Which should I pursue?

    Grab the free eval version of Windows 2003 server (and other products) from
    Microsoft's site. See if you can get your hands on VMWare or VirtualPC if
    you don't want to invest time and floorspace with a 'real network'

    Or get an MSDN subscription :)

    Colin Nash [MVP], Feb 18, 2004