    Does anyone have any comments on this?

    Thanks

    Barry

    Barry, Oct 19, 2008

  2. Barry:
    I recommend that you start with the 70-536 exam, which you would have to
    take regardless of whether you went for .NET 2.0 or 3.5 certification. Then
    decide from there.

    You might want to look at the 70-300 exam and see if you understand the
    material. I found that exam easy (but I also found it's predecessor, 70-100,
    even easier), but some people found it to be hard. The materials in 70-300
    are not tested in the MCTS/MCPD certifications.

    Personally, I would recommend that you complete your MCSD, even if you
    decide to go the regular non-upgrade route to the MCPD. The reason being that
    there are some HR people who haven't heard of the MCPD. Just look at all the
    job postings on Monster, etc. that request an MCSD for a job dealing with
    Visual Studio 2005.

    Remember that 70-300 and 70-315 retire at the end of March, 2009.
    --
    Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x8, MCSA, MOS x2, FLMI, ACS

    LarryWestMCSD, Oct 21, 2008

  3. "LarryWestMCSD" <LarryWest-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote in message

    > I recommend that you start with the 70-536 exam, which you would have to
    > take regardless of whether you went for .NET 2.0 or 3.5 certification.
    > Then
    > decide from there.

    Agreed.. (but not why I replied..)

    > You might want to look at the 70-300 exam and see if you understand the
    > material. I found that exam easy

    Really!!??

    > (but I also found it's predecessor, 70-100,
    > even easier), but some people found it to be hard. The materials in 70-300
    > are not tested in the MCTS/MCPD certifications.

    I've been studying 70-100/70-300 (i.e. MSF) off and on for going on five
    years now.

    I'm very interested in the material (and in MSF), but wasn't a lot of
    motifivation to take the exam (without the related MCAD exams to go with
    it), and while I understand the concepts, I've always been challenged
    getting caught up in all the nitnoy details of the process (which on a
    day-to-day basis I can easily refer to published documentation to get).

    I'm encouraged by your analysis of the 70-100/70-300 and will rethink
    sitting for the exam.

    > Personally, I would recommend that you complete your MCSD, even if you
    > decide to go the regular non-upgrade route to the MCPD. The reason being
    > that
    > there are some HR people who haven't heard of the MCPD. Just look at all
    > the
    > job postings on Monster, etc. that request an MCSD for a job dealing with
    > Visual Studio 2005.

    And... if the continued presence of VB6 is any indication, there will likely
    continue to be a strong presence of .NET v1.1 apps from organizations trying
    to find (stupid) ways to avoid .NET v2.0. Having documentation of the
    VS2003/.NET v1.1 skills could be a big plus as the rest of the community
    focuses on .NET v2/v3 development, and forgets where the limits are in .NET
    v1.1 applications.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 21, 2008
  4. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Many thanks to both of you for your comments.

    I think I should have enough time to complete 70-300 & 70-315 before
    the exams retire.

    Thanks again

    Barry

    Barry, Oct 22, 2008
  5. Barry

    eagleknight.com

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Location:
    Texas
    What to expect in 70-300 exam.

    I just took the 70-300 exam ( November 2008 ). This exam was last updated Febuary of 2008. It was a little different from what I have read in other reviews of this exam. The total time allowed for this exam was 160 Minutes (2 Hours, 40 Minutes). This is a little misleading as each case study has individual time limits ranging from 10 - 40 minutes depending on the number of questions.

    Good Luck!

    EagleKnight

    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    eagleknight.com, Nov 12, 2008