    StrikerNR

    --
    http://geesoft.frandt.com

    StrikerNR, Dec 21, 2004

  2. StrikerNR

    Guest

    Hi,

    VB.Net does not quite resemble VB6 in many ways. If I were to learn a
    new language, I would go for C#, since it is going through the process
    of standardization, which means it will be a non-proprietary language
    after some time and you will be able to apply your C# skills on other
    platforms in additions to Windows.
    Good luck with the exams.

    StrikerNR wrote:
    > i am thinking of getting MCP but can't quite decide between vb.net

    and
    > c#.net. I have about 4-5 years of experience (on and off) in VB. Most

    of my
    > applications in VB had been academic and self projects. But i am

    hearing a
    > lot about C#, it potential and its popularity in the job market. I'm

    4th year
    > CS student at UofT. I don't have any professional experience, so i

    was
    > thinking of doing MCP and then MCAD. It might give me advantage in

    the job
    > market when i graduate but can't quite decide which path (vb.net or

    c#.net) i
    > should pick. All/Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
    >
    > StrikerNR
    >
    > --
    > http://geesoft.frandt.com

    , Dec 21, 2004

  3. StrikerNR

    Dave Paden Guest

    My advice would be to do a Monster job search in your area for C# and vb.net
    and see which one turns up more results. Don't worry about which one you
    will have a better chance at passing exams on because the languages are so
    similar that it's almost trivial on an exam question. All of my experience
    had been with VB and PowerBuilder, but I took the C# exams mostly so that if
    a job required C#, I can emphasize my credentials and if it required VB, I
    can emphasize my experience. The reality is that if you know one, you can
    learn the other in extremely short order...it's just a matter of syntax. If
    a techie looks over your resume, they'll know that it doesn't really matter,
    but you gotta get past HR first so I'd go with whichever has the most/best
    jobs in your area.

    Dave Paden, Dec 21, 2004
  4. StrikerNR

    StrikerNR Guest

    > My advice would be to do a Monster job search in your area for C# and vb.net
    > and see which one turns up more results.

    I was just thinking of that. I did a search on hotjobs.yahoo.ca but couldn't
    find that many jobs on either. I'll try monster.ca and see it what it
    yields. Nice suggestion thou. Thanks.
    I think i am just gonna go with 70-316 (windows app in c#.net). Any
    suggestion how i should prepare, books and other thinks i may need.
    Either Amit Kalani's MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-316) or Kirk Hausman's
    Exam Cram 70-316 seem the ideal items to buy for preparation for now. Both
    guides have good reviews (amazon.ca). I have read Transcender practice tests
    are good but i don't think i can afford that. The package goes at about some
    $250 U
    http://www.transcender.com/products/ProductList.aspx?vendor=Microsoft&cert=MCAD

    And also how is is the exam like? Is it mix of MC and short/long answer
    questions with coding? And last but not least, by passing 70-316 will i earn
    the MCP certification?

    StrikerNR, Dec 21, 2004
  5. StrikerNR

    Dave Paden Guest

    Find a book that's to your liking and do all the labs and exercises. I used
    Microsoft Press books which came with practice tests and trial versions of
    Windows 2003 and Visual Studio.

    The exam is all multiple choice. Sometimes it's "pick the three correct
    answers" with checkboxes. No coding. 9 out of 10 questions are "You're
    coding a blahblah application for some firm and you want to do X...which is
    the best way to accomplish that?", followed by 5 code snippets to choose from.

    Yes, passing this exam will give you MCP.

    Dave Paden, Dec 21, 2004
  6. StrikerNR

    Rogers Guest

    Hey strikerNR,
    Im in the latter part of my third year at UofT doing CS , and recently
    decided to take up MCAD. im pretty much in the same boat as you are.

    let me know how you acquire the training materials and what stuff you find
    useful. I have now started reading the OReilly book on C#. Its pretty clear
    and useful, especially since it has sections particularly for people like us
    who have been doing java for a while. what is really needed is lots of
    practice exams that dont burn a huge hole in the wallet.

    anyways stay in touch dude!

    Rogers, Jan 16, 2005