    Greg Guest

    Has anyone got this certification yet? Is it worth getting? From my
    knowledge not many businesses are on server 2008 yet ?

    Greg, Apr 23, 2009

  2. "Greg" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anyone got this certification yet?

    Thousands of people have this certification. The exams were in beta in
    December, 2007, and released to the wild in April, 2008.

    > Is it worth getting?

    That depends. Do you plan to do any work on server systems in the next 5 -
    10 years? If so, you're likely going to spend a lot of time working on
    Windows Server 2008 systems -- just as anybody who's done any work on server
    systems in the past five years has spent a lot of time working on Windows
    2000 and Windows Server 2003 systems.

    Also, do you have any *experience* working with Windows Server systems? If
    so, then I think it's a no-brainer to update those skills to include the new
    features of Windows Server 2008.

    > From my knowledge not many businesses are on server 2008 yet ?

    Does it really make any difference?

    In 2001, "not many businesses" had deployed Windows 2000 Server.
    In 2004, "not many businesses" had deployed Windows Server 2003.

    But today, less than ten years after the release of its replacement, very
    few organizations are still using Windows NT -- so it's safe to say that by
    2010, "very few" organizations will still be using Windows 2000 Server, and
    by 2013, "very few" organizations will still be using Windows Server 2003.

    Most organizations want to know the software vendor is still standing behind
    the product, so when Microsoft says a version is "no longer supported", most
    organizations have since upgraded, or are frantically searching out a way to
    make that happen.

    Incidentally, being a leader in the community -- having the skills and
    certifications *before* most organizations are ready to deploy a product --
    is how you get the choice, well-paid positions. Those organizations looking
    to deploy Windows Server 2008 systems *now* are in desperate need of persons
    who have the full range of skillsets with that product -- and the MCITP:EA
    certification goes a long way to documenting that you're a step ahead of the
    other thousand applicants -- particularly those who haven't actually ever
    worked in an organization with Windows Server 2008 systems deployed.

    Five years from now, everybody will have experience with Windows Server
    2008, and if you're not already working on learning the next release, you're
    behind the curve (again).

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Apr 23, 2009

  3. Not many businesses are on it yet, but why not update your skills to the
    newer technology and be ahead of the curve and be ahead of the other
    candidates in the job force. If they haven't updated yet, they will. Server
    2008 R2 is upcoming, and your skills will be easily transferrable to that.
    I'd say go for it, it is definitely worth getting. A lot of the early
    adopters of the MCSE: 2003 certification were wondering the same thing, and
    I'm sure they are glad they went for it when they did.

    --

    Dustin Harper
    http://www.mstechpages.com

    Dustin Harper, Apr 25, 2009