    James Moffitt
    Systems Administrator
    E-Mail:
    James Moffitt, May 23, 2008

  2. "James Moffitt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I am old school holding only MCSE 4.0 still and now I just realized, if I
    > want to get a JOB I need to update my certs... I used the MOCs to attain
    > my MCSE 4.0 and I am finding that the Training Kits are good, but they
    > seem to have too much fluff reading for those that are just starting
    > out.. Nothing wrong with that however I was wondering if the MOCs for the
    > 2008 track are a faster way to go and if so, how does one buy the MOCs
    > without paying to go to the classes?

    One does not obtain the MOCs without paying for the classes unless you work
    for a CLC (or whatever they're called this week).

    If you're finding the TKs are a bit too much 'fluff', you might find it more
    functional to dive into:
    [a] The Inside/Out series of books.
    The Resource Kits.
    [c] The Technet Library.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin, May 24, 2008

  3. James Moffitt

    Roan Daley Guest

    @ Lawrence : CPLS these days they are called.

    I would also suggest the CBT Nuggets Series they are pretty good.

    Roan Daley, Jun 19, 2008
  4. James Moffitt

    Dude Guest

    The MOC books are ONLY useful if you take the class and do the labs. There
    are much better study materials out there. Most Microsoft exams are full of
    curve ball questions that aren't covered in the MOC books anyways. The MOC
    books aren't even useful as reference books on the job. I usually toss them
    as soon as I pass the exam.

    I used the book 'Introducing Windows Server 2008' by Mitch Tulloch to study
    for the Server 2008 exams. At the time, it was the only book available. I
    used that plus a trial version of Server 2008 that I download from the
    Microsoft website. Instead of just reading about the features of Server
    2008, I was able to try them out on my laptop. There is no substitute for
    hands on experience.

    Coming from an NT environment, you'll need to learn about Active Directory.
    It couldn't hurt to get hold of a trial version of Server 2003 and setup a
    domain controller from scratch. Make sure to know the differences between
    2000 Server, Server 2003 and Server 2008 Active Directory before you take the
    MCITP exams.

    Dude, Jul 4, 2008