    My previous job experience is only a handful of retail jobs I worked short
    term.

    Thanks!
    Nowe177, Dec 27, 2008

  2. "Nowe177" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    >I want a tech support job, and I honestly don't know where to start. I
    >know
    > I've already made a post awhile ago, but I'll try to be more detailed in
    > this
    > one.
    >
    > A college degree is out of the question for personal reasons.
    >
    > I'll take any kind of help desk, or comp tech job. But it seems most
    > employers want college degrees. Where can I start?

    Well, you'll need to at least start with employers who do not want college
    degrees as a condition of application.

    > Is it enough to pile a
    > couple certifications under my belt, or can I apply without certs and work
    > my
    > way up?

    Certifications without experience aren't of much value, or credibility.
    You'd probably do much better finding ways to document the experience you do
    have -- even if it's not *paid* experience. On the other hand, if you do
    have experience, albeit not paid, then a certification in a desktop
    operating system (MCP: Windows XP, 70-270; MCTS: Windows Vista, 70-260)
    would be the first place to start.

    > Is there some entry level place I can get into to build experience?

    Yep.. but it takes effort to find the employer(s) who have such jobs.

    > My previous job experience is only a handful of retail jobs I worked short
    > term.

    "Short term" is going to be a real problem. A history of "short term" jobs
    never works well, no matter how much technical expertise you might have, so
    you'll also need to be fully prepared to respond to questions about your
    lack of tenure at previous jobs.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 27, 2008

  3. Nowe177

    CBIC Guest

    "Nowe177" <> wrote in message
    >I want a tech support job, and I honestly don't know where to start. I
    >know
    > I've already made a post awhile ago, but I'll try to be more detailed in
    > this
    > one.
    >
    > A college degree is out of the question for personal reasons.
    >
    > I'll take any kind of help desk, or comp tech job. But it seems most
    > employers want college degrees. Where can I start? Is it enough to pile
    > couple certifications under my belt, or can I apply without certs and work
    > my
    > way up?
    >
    > Is there some entry level place I can get into to build experience?
    >
    > My previous job experience is only a handful of retail jobs I worked short
    > term.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Why do you want to work in IT? Why not work in a field that doesn't require
    working weekends and evenings?
    CBIC, Dec 29, 2008
  4. Nowe177

    juan Guest

    juan, Jan 4, 2009
  5. Nowe177

    Ed Hall Guest

    Not sure that a Microsoft certification will get you a job, but it could help
    you get an interview out of a whole bunch of other applicants, so is worth
    having for job hunting. A good interview performance on top may land you the
    job your after.

    Probably the easiest certifications to start with are:
    MCDST, or
    MCITP (Enterprise Support Technician)
    (or both as the second is only one more exam than the MCDST).
    These are help desk or desktop support related certifications.

    All the best,
    Ed.

    Ed Hall, Jan 9, 2009