MCITP certs no longer require recertification

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by darrilgibson@cox.net, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. Guest

    As several people suspected they might, Microsoft has changed their
    mind on the recertification requirements for MCITP certifications.
    Originally, you were expected to recertify every three years for these
    certifications. However, having a separate policy for MCTS and MCITP
    certifications doesn't seem to be working for Microsoft.

    Instead, your certifications will remain active until your mainstream
    support for the product ends - perhaps 8 to 10 years after it began.
    And then, your certification will likely go to a "retired" section of
    your transcript.

    Trika's blog at Microsoft explains it:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2008/03/07/i-think-you-will-like-this.aspx

    With mainstream support for SQL Server 2000 ending on April 8th, 2008
    and SQL Server 2008 being delayed again, a lot of companies are
    looking at upgrading to SQL Server 2005. If you get certified (or
    already are certified) on SQL Server 2005, you won't need to recertify
    within 3 years.

    Darril Gibson
    MCT, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSE, MCSD
    http://mcitpsuccess.com/
    http://mcitpsuccess.blogspot.com
    Author, MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Administration All-in-One Exam
    Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-443, & 70-444)
    Author, MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Developer All-in-One Exam Guide
    (Exams 70-431, 70-441, & 70-442)

    , Mar 7, 2008

  2. Well, that's good to hear. Although I like the recertification process on
    some things, Microsoft technologies are upgraded to new versions often
    enough to where you really don't need to recertify.

    --

    Dustin Harper

    Dustin Harper, Mar 7, 2008

  3. Dude Guest

    That's good news. I was going to hold off getting MCITP certified, because
    of the 3 year time limit. Heck, I might as well wait until my 2000 MCSE and
    2003 MCSA run out first. Now that Microsoft changed their expiration policy,
    I want to start working on the new certifications sooner.

    I'm also Cisco CCNA certified. That certification is only good for 3 years
    and will expire in about 6 months. I'd have to take one of the CCNP exams to
    keep it current. I'm not sure if it's worth the bother. It will just expire
    again anyways.

    I think it's a good move by Microsoft. If the certifications don't expire,
    more people will take exams, Microsoft will sell more training materials and
    make more money too. For example, I've already taken Vista 70-620 and I was
    going to wait 3 years to take the 70-622 exam for the MCITP certification.
    Now that Microsoft removed the 3 year expiration, I've decided to take 70-622
    in a few weeks.

    As a side note, I've already started studying for 70-622. 70-620 was fairly
    easy and I though 70-622 would be similar. But 70-622 is a PRO exam. Some
    of the study material is about configuring servers and group policy, not just
    Vista workstations. As an MCSE/MCSA I can say that this exam will be more
    difficult than I expected it to be. It's a good thing I won't have to take
    it again in 3 years!

    Dude, Mar 8, 2008