    online courses or CBTs?

    Thanks for any recommendations you may be able to give me.
    Eric
    Dinosaur Eric, Jul 29, 2004

  2. I have heard that it is best to get my MCAD first and
    that MCSD is only two exams away from that?

    reading
    >through one of those Learn VB.net in 24 hours books and
    >have a very basic understanding of VB.net.
    >
    >Question to anyone out there is...given my scenario,

    what

    Dinosaur Eric, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Dinosaur Eric

    Guest Guest

    You can download 180 trail versions of Visual Studio.NET and SQL Server to
    cut your teeth on. There are a lot of tutorials on the web; just search on
    yahoo.com for "tutorial and asp.net". Also, browse the *.dotnet.*
    newsgroups.

    Guest, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Dinosaur Eric

    Eric Guest

    Dinosaur Eric wrote:

    > I am a mainframe programmer (yes, we do exist!) that
    > needs to upgrade my skills to keep current with the ever
    > changing world. I thought the best route would be is to
    > get certified and get my MCSD.

    Hi Eric. I used to be a "dinosaur Eric", too! I did COBOL on both
    mainframes and PC's, then Unix and C, then Delphi, and now .NET.

    Depnding on how many years of experience you have, it might be wise to
    shoot for C# first. Most of the senior positions seem to prefer C# over
    VB.NET.

    I'm not against VB.NET - my son does that. But I like to target my
    skills for the particular jobs I'm interested in.

    The demo version of Visual Studio 2003 is a great place to start.
    You'll also need SQL Server 2000 (it has a demo, too).

    Don't try the beta for VS2005 because it's quite different, and a
    little buggy. Also, don't pay for Visual Studio 2003 right now. The
    final version of VS 2005 is coming next year, so save your money for
    that.

    MS sells student versions of VS 2003 for about $100 if you know anyone
    taking college classes.

    I recommend the C# blue Training Guides by Amit Kalani. They assume you
    don't know anything to begin with. http://www.techcontent.com

    I'd start with the 70-316 Windows Forms test. It's a good place to
    start if you don't have a background in Web development - there's not
    much web-specific stuff in this test.

    Eric
    Eric, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Hi Eric,

    MCAD is a subset of MCSD. Depending on what order you took the exams in you
    would achieve MCAD status on the way to becoming an MCSD. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/default.asp and
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/requirementsdotnet.asp for more
    details.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Aug 2, 2004
  6. >You can download 180 trail versions of Visual Studio.NET

    now that's just being greedy!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 4, 2004