    IanC Guest

    Is it even worth it for me to go after this Certification, or should I wait
    until the Vista MCDST is available?
    IanC, Sep 29, 2006

  2. IanC

    Kenny K Guest

    Yes it will be worthwhile because corporations are not going to roll out
    Vista as soon as it comes out. Most will take time to test its compability
    as well as a slew of other things before deciding whether its ROI and/or TCO
    is worth it to roll such a project. Your still going to see XP for quite
    some time so you might as well go ahead and get it. If you decide to wait
    for the Vista test, pass it, and then get job interviews, its highly unlikely
    that they've already rolled out Vista and they are going to want someone that
    can support XP not Vista.
    Kenny K, Sep 29, 2006

  3. IanC

    IanC Guest

    That's exactly what I was thinking I just needed to hear someone else say the
    same thing.

    Thanks Kenny K

    IanC, Sep 29, 2006
  4. IanC

    Scuba_Dave Guest

    I think if you are an experienced XP person, go for it
    You will need time on Vista to become familiar with the software
    Better alos to take the test now before changes of Vista may "confuse" issues

    Our company has just standardized on XP this year
    We still have 3 WIN95 PC's, 7 NT4 & maybe 30 WIN98 due to old software
    requirements. Plus just under 600 WIN2k's.
    Out of a total of close to 4,000 pc's
    The stats were MUCH different at the beginning of this year

    Our company wants us to be MCDST certified. It will be years before the
    majority of our desktops are upgraded (replaced) for Vista

    I'm hoping to install Vista on a 2nd home PC for training/testing once it's
    been out for a little while

    Scuba_Dave, Sep 29, 2006
  5. IanC

    Guest Guest

    "IanC" <> wrote in message
    > Is it even worth it for me to go after this Certification, or should I

    wait
    > until the Vista MCDST is available?

    One thing I didn't see mentioned was that there will not be an MCDST for
    Vista. MCDST was born with XP and it will retire with XP.

    --
    BD
    MCNGP #51
    Guest, Oct 1, 2006
  6. IanC

    Scuba_Dave Guest

    That's interesting, I was not aware of that
    I can't see Microsoft "giving up" a money making certification
    Isn't it likely they will just create a new "Vista" Cert?

    -Dave

    Scuba_Dave, Oct 3, 2006
  7. IanC

    Scuba_Dave Guest

    Pulled this from the FAQ from MS about the Cert:

    Q. Will an MCDST certification be developed for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0?

    A. No, the MCDST certification is being supported for current platforms
    (Windows 2000 and Windows XP) and future platforms only.

    Scuba_Dave, Oct 3, 2006
  8. IanC

    Guest Guest

    Interesting, thank you.

    #1, There was no MCDST for Win2K, I don't know who wrote that or why that
    was added in, but it's false (as per my sources)...now, the MCDST knowledge
    can be used, to some extent, on Win2K, but only because the XP RTM was
    really Win2K SP5 than it was it's own operating system.

    Also, what I do get from that statement doesn't specifically state that
    there will be a new MCDST for Vista, but the XP cert will also be good for
    newer versions....in other words, they may have an upgrade, but not a new
    cert. And actually, if I remember correctly, the MCTS series of exams will
    be more geared toward Vista.

    I'll see if I can find out more about it. If I do, I'll probably just post
    it in the CertGuard forums.

    Guest, Oct 3, 2006