    Also, would the XP Pro 70-270 exam count/take the place
    of the MCDST Core Exam 70-271?

    Thanks for your help.
    Marylou, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Marylou

    Guest Guest

    The MCDST covers your knowledge of Windows XP and
    supporting users that use XP. The first part of the test
    (70-271) is heavy on installation, troubleshooting the
    OS, troubleshooting hardware with the OS, and so on. The
    second part (which I took this morning and passed)deals
    with end user stuff. Things that you would find working a
    help desk or desktop support. Lots of "this person is
    trying to do this but it's not working, what do you do"
    type questions. The second part of the test covered
    Internet Explorer, Office, Outlook Express, file sharing,
    software installation, and had a couple of hardware
    questions. If you've been supporting users in a XP, or
    Windows 2000 environment for a while and have had a good
    range of problems and questions from them then you should
    be fine. For the 70-271 test I used the study material
    for Windows XP. I don't have my score here with me but it
    was in the high 800's. For the second half I didn't have
    anything to study with and just used my experience. I
    scored in the low 800's (passing was 700). I've never
    taken a MOUS test so I can't compare the two, but from
    what I understand they are two different test completely.

    then

    Guest, Feb 7, 2004

  3. According to Microsoft's site, the 70-270 is not a substitute for 70-271,
    and they are usually pretty good about clearly indicating when there are
    substitutions allowed.

    But based on other posts I've read on the groups, 70-271 should be pretty
    easy if you have 70-270.

    According to http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.asp there does
    seem to be a greater focus on "end-user" stuff like desktop settings, IE,
    Outlook Express etc. And of course 70-272 is all about the end-user apps.

    Colin Nash [MVP], Feb 15, 2004