    Thanks in advance for your support.
    --
    Scott RoLo
    Scott RoLo, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Scott RoLo

    dubya Guest

    "Scott RoLo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm ready for chapter 2 of the self-paced "Training Kit" by Glenn &
    > Simpson:
    > Installation of WinXP Pro (Evaluation) on my PC or Laptop. I would
    > appreciate
    > advice from the experienced. Both Compaq machines are relatively new with
    > factory WinXP Home. Both exceed minimum hardware requirements. I have
    > emergency start-up disks. I will back up my files and create a restore
    > point.
    > I use the desktop daily so am leaning toward using the laptop. What else?
    > Should I partition a drive? What will happen when the evaluation period
    > ends
    > and what will I have to do to return to "normal"?
    > Thanks in advance for your support.
    > --
    > Scott RoLo

    Yes you should create a separate partition. You might want to assign drive
    letters late in the alphabet to your removable drives ahead of time, if you
    can do that with Home. Then do a clean install of the Pro Eval editioin to
    the new partition. You should then be able to boot into either version.
    Save your data to the original partition (where Home Ed. is still happy and
    healthy). When the eval is over, try reinstalling pro over top of itself.
    If that doesn't work (i.e., it tells you it has expired, or it won't let you
    reactivate and when you call to complain the service rep won't help) you
    can simply wipe the partition and reinstall, or if you are done with Pro,
    just use the partition for something else.
    You won't have to do anything to return to normal, because you will have
    never left normality.
    It'll be easy. Good luck.
    dubya, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Scott RoLo

    Scott RoLo Guest

    Thank you -- didn't know I was ever IN "normality".

    Scott RoLo, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Scott RoLo

    Al Romanosky Guest

    Be certain of the evaluation period. Training kits stated period for
    Microsoft Office 2003 (Kit for 702-72 by Glenn) was 120 days - installation
    said 30 days which Microsoft verified - 120 days was in error. BTW - you
    cannot "upgrade" over the evaluation copy.
    "dubya" suggestions are viable. Also consider saving old system files
    option when installing XP Pro - doing so will permit removal of the
    evaluation copy.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL
    Al Romanosky, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Scott RoLo

    Micah E. Guest

    Scott,

    I just finished chapter 2 of the MCDST Training Kit, 70-271. If you also
    want more in-depth knowledge of the chapter objectives, when it refers to
    winnt.exe and winnt32.exe, go to your Help and Support Center, type those in
    the search, and look over the command syntax and switches for those two.
    Well, for any command that is covered in the chapter. Also, go to
    Microsoft's KB on its website and look up subjects covering the different
    installation methods.

    I also picked up the MCSA/MCSE 70-270 Microsoft book, it is also by Glenn.
    It also goes into installations of XP and just about everything else in the
    MCDST. Study from both books at the same time. Well, study the chapter from
    one and go to the other and study the chapter that corresponds to the first
    book. This way you'll have comprehensive knowledge, and you can knock out
    both the 70-270 and 70-271 exams.

    Good luck!
    -Micah
    A+ Certified