    When study for MCSA I found it useful to go thru study guides for several
    exams before writing my first MCSA exam.

    Thanks, Paul
    Panicking in Prince George, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Panicking in Prince George

    Bobby Guest

    Hi Paul,

    It is okay to study separately for MCDST as 271 deals with OS (WinXP) while
    272 deals with applications (like MS Office, Outlook, Outlook Express and IE).

    For MCSA, it makes sense to have an overall understanding especially on the
    networking exams (290, 291, 293 and 294) and sometimes you need this
    understanding to comprehend the OS exam.

    Hope this helps.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Apr 6, 2005

  3. Panicking in Prince George

    Jason Guest

    The only thing I would add to Bobby's post is that in my experience, not
    only is it ok to study them independently, it is probably easier to pick up
    and retain your knowledge that way. Trying to obtain (or, to use the
    vernacular...braindump) all the information at once will lessen accuracy,
    retention, and the overall quality of your study efforts.

    I know you are probably anxious to knock a few of these out of the way, and
    if you already have a solid base to work from, doing the both is
    conceiveable, but still not recommended. Nothing is less annoying to a
    hiring manager who discovers a "paper cert" when all is said and done.

    Finally, while I can appreciate that there is sometimes a vernacular to
    students iso (for the newcomers, iso = in search of) certs, "writing" or
    "sitting" a cert exam can suggest a certain lack of comprehension from a
    grammar standpoint. One who "writes" an exam is typically the examiner, not
    the examinee. I can accept "sitting" an exam a little easier as the paper
    exams are pretty much gone and all students do is "sit" in front of a
    computer for exams. Even so...this (to me), is not "sitting" an exam....in
    the end, a student TAKES an exam. Others on this forum may claim that my
    "nit picky" tendencies for grammer misusage are overly anal, old school,
    arrogant, or whatever, but lack of grammar skills demonstrates to me a
    person's inability to communicate effectively and intelligently.
    Communication, both verbally, and in prose (i.e. email support) is crucial
    to helpdesk support, and displaying a lack of grammar to the end user
    undermines your authority as a knowledgeable support technician. Okay, I've
    said my peace...thanks for reading and let the slamming begin...

    Good luck to Paul in his studies.

    Jason

    Jason, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Thanks to Bobby and Jason for the replies!

    Jason...thanks for the quick grammar lesson. I guess an old fart like me
    will always "write" exams. BTW I think you had meant to say "I've said my
    piece".

    Cheers, Paul

    Panicking in Prince George, Apr 6, 2005
  5. Panicking in Prince George

    CBIC Guest

    Panicking in Prince George wrote:
    > Thanks to Bobby and Jason for the replies!
    >
    > Jason...thanks for the quick grammar lesson. I guess an old fart like
    > me will always "write" exams. BTW I think you had meant to say "I've
    > said my piece".

    Well played.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38
    CBIC, Apr 6, 2005
  6. Panicking in Prince George

    Sean Guest

    Jason,

    This is the kind of stuff that rubs people the wrong way. You cant give
    someone a "grammar" lesson and then spell "grammar" wrong. You make yourself
    sound like a fool. Before you go on about other peoples grammer skills
    perhaps you should go back and copy/paste your last dozen or so
    comments/replies to Word and you might be suprised. We all make mistakes, we
    are not being graded here. I am not going to double check everything i post
    here to make sure there are no mistakes. LIGHTEN UP!

    Sean, Apr 7, 2005