    about MCAD. Now yet another certification. What do you think?

    See http://mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=619

    Thanks.

    Michael, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Michael

    emg Guest

    Well, as the article makes clear, there are different certs for different
    jobs. The desktop support cert doesn't make sense for a software developer,
    and the MCSD.Net doesn't make sense for a helpdesk person unless they're
    trying to become a developer.

    Having said that, you are correct when implying the major audience for certs
    is job seekers - - not employers. The certification industry (Microsoft,
    Java, et al) is a profit center in and of itself. It sells books, it sells
    CBT courses, it sells in-person training, it sells seats at conferences. I
    suspect the actual exam administration contributes only a small percentage
    of revenue in comparison.

    You can see it in all the posts from certification holders complaining they
    didn't recieve their lovely multi-colored certificates, their lapel pins, or
    special graphics to decorate their business cards and resumes. I've never
    had an employer ask to see any of these things. A Microsoft partner would
    probably just want to check your transcript and leave it at that.

    There's nothing wrong with certifications as long as your expectations are
    in line with reality. Alas, I suspect this is not the case for many people.

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just want to get some opinions out there about that new certification
    > MCDST. Already there has been quite a bit of confusion about MCSD and
    > MCSD.NET. Also it seems very few people outside of those taking exams,

    knows

    emg, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Michael

    Jaime Guest